PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

dghunter
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:29 AM
If I somehow missed this thread please point me in the correct direction. I've been writing a paper for three hours now so I may have missed it :lol:

If not though, what are you currently reading? What did you just finish?

I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha for the second time. We watched it for a class so I decided to read it again. It's awesome, I find it so interesting. In fact I found it so interesting that I ordered two more books about geishas!
I'm reading K is for Killer by Sue Grafton for my Noir class. It's pretty good. A little slow for my tastes.
Next on my list is Heartless Stone which is about mining diamonds.

Lori T
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:34 AM
I just finished Stephen King's epic Under The Dome. I really enjoyed it and guess I need to go find one of his books to re-read again (I have every one of his books in hard back and enjoy re-reading them!). Can't wait til the next book of his comes out...guess it will be a long wait!

hey101
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:43 AM
LoriT, that's exactly what I'm reading right now! I haven't read a SK book in a LOOOONG time but as I read it I am reminded of how much I have always loved him. I think he is a great writer.. IT and The Stand are on my Top-20 All Time Fav's list. I also have Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven and Chris McDougal's (also a personal friend) Born to Run going. I just bought a few other books at Costco that are on deck- E. Rutherford's New York, Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna, S. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage, Jeff Shaara's new WWII book, and J. Littell's The Kindly Ones. So many great books to read in the next few weeks, and there were about 4 more at Costco I could have bought :D

I also just finished the Story of Edgar Sawtelle and thought it was really good.

M.K.Smith
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:50 AM
Family - The Ties that Bind...And Gag! by Erma Bombeck

TwoDreamRides
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:51 AM
Just finished The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist -- LOVED it: http://www.amazon.com/Unit-Ninni-Holmqvist/dp/1590513134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259210844&sr=1-1

Also, just finised By The Time You Read This by Lola Jay -- Liked it. Kinda cliche, a bit predictable, but still enjoyable. http://www.amazon.com/Time-You-Read-This/dp/0061733830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259210917&sr=1-1

Now I'm onto Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford -- I'm on the "like" side of this. I prefer it chapter by chapter ... it's not a "can't put down". And I wish he hadn't tried to be so academic with it, it takes away from his actual premise. Oh well. http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Thorndike-Nonfiction/dp/1410419746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259210996&sr=1-1

ponyxjd
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:03 AM
A Knight in Shining Armor, by Jude Deveraux. Definitely one of my favorite books, this is the third time I've read it. My aunt who's 30 years older than me recommended it a few years ago, and since I first finished it I've passed it on to my friends and we all love it. I'd recommend it to any woman who likes a good romance/action/mystery/comedy. Not quite sure what genre it falls into, but it's such a great read!

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Shining-Armor-Jude-Deveraux/dp/0671705091

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:05 AM
I just finished rereading The Dark Wind by Tony Hillerman. I am not sure what is next :)

Natalie A
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:09 AM
Just finished Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. Now I'm going to start Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

LearnToFly
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:12 AM
I'm halfway through Atlas Shrugged for the second time, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and just finished up Wuthering Heights for the second time. I'd recommend all of the above

bugsynskeeter
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:14 AM
Just finished reading Chelsea Handlers books My Horizontal Life and Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.

OMG - I loved them both. I couldn't stop laughing while I read them.

RiddleMeThis
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:19 AM
I'm currently reading Jacob by Jacquelyn Frank on my Kindle. REALLY liking it so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Jacob-Nightwalkers-Book-Jacquelyn-Frank/dp/0821780654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259219851&sr=8-1

Lori T
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
LoriT, that's exactly what I'm reading right now! I haven't read a SK book in a LOOOONG time but as I read it I am reminded of how much I have always loved him. I think he is a great writer.. IT and The Stand are on my Top-20 All Time Fav's list. I also have Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven and Chris McDougal's (also a personal friend) Born to Run going. I just bought a few other books at Costco that are on deck- E. Rutherford's New York, Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna, S. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage, Jeff Shaara's new WWII book, and J. Littell's The Kindly Ones. So many great books to read in the next few weeks, and there were about 4 more at Costco I could have bought :D

I also just finished the Story of Edgar Sawtelle and thought it was really good.

The Stand is my all time favorite, I reread it every few years. I love the movie version, too, especially Gary Sinese playing Stu Redman! When I read IT, I was living alone and could not read it at night..has to be his scariest! And my husband and I find ourselves walking past sewer drains going "Georgie, here Georgie"!!

Mrs. Smith
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:32 AM
I've read a few good books lately.

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls - my recent favorite (not really about horses, but there are horses in the story). I highly recommend it!
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - liked HBH so much I got her first book and really liked it, too.
Ford County by John Grisham - easy to read short stories worth picking up.
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold - I didn't enjoy as much as The Lovely Bones.

I'm reading Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah now. Although I like it so far, I'm not enjoying it as much as the books above.

I'd like to start the Elm Creek Quilters series next. I'm also going to cruise Costco's book aisle this weekend and see if they have anything interesting.

dghunter
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:37 AM
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - liked HBH so much I got her first book and really liked it, too.

We read this in my Women Writers class and I just couldn't get into it that much. One of the ones we read in that class though was Ann Patchett's Truth and Beauty. You might like that one. If you read it I also recommend reading Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face. They sort of go together though I much preferred Ann Patchett's to Lucy Grealy's.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
Well, since I've just finished a history class, I've been reading a history textbook. But, last night browsing through my lit book for next semester, I read The Metamorphosis by Kafka. I really want to The Lost Symbol over Christmas between semesters...

sickofcollege
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
Just finished reading Chelsea Handlers books My Horizontal Life and Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.

OMG - I loved them both. I couldn't stop laughing while I read them.

Ditto! I laughed so hard the entire time. Chelsea is such a character! :lol:

cu.at.x
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
I just finished Yoga as Medicine and am now starting Excitotoxins: the Taste that Kills. The yoga book was very interesting, but I may not finish Excitotoxins...I pretty much avoid artificial sweetners and msg already.

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have a couple on the go.

The time traveler's Wife by ....
Interesting book, well written, some times confusing just trying to wrap your mind about the story. But i find that you get drawn into the story.
Side note: the movie is suppose to be beautifully made. So thinking i may have to watch it at some point when i finish the book.

Sneaky Pie Brown books. Have a couple of them laying around.

P.

colliemom
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
I'm about half way through Beach Music by Pat Conroy. He's one of my favorites! I started this a while back and must have been reading something else at the same time because I never finished it.

I get a lot of reading done while on the road to events with hubby driving. Since neither of us was competing this season until late (Oct/Nov), I didn't get much reading done!

Next on the shelf is An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (latest in the Outlander series -- love those books!!)

Tiffany01
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:59 PM
Im reading Eclipse part of the twilight saga.

I<3Sleepy
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm about 1/3 through Atlas Shrugged, and like it so far. Also reading What Dreams May Come - the movie is by far my most favorite movie EVER but I figured I ought to read the book as well. LOVE it so far, very thought provoking, and of course not 100% like the movie (which is good).

I have a million books to choose from, who know's what will be next?

Sonesta
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:15 PM
I'm in the middle of Jilly Cooper's Polo and working my way through the series. Total thrash but lots of fun!

glfprncs
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:41 PM
Phillipa Gregory's "Earthly Joys"--Historical fiction--quite good.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:04 PM
I just finished "True Blue" by David Baldacci. I loved his "Camel Club" series and "True Blue" was not quite as good, but I still got right into it. I really love his character development. I get drawn right into his characters and into the conspiracies.

I am now reading a light hearted read... I forget what it's called actually.

I alternate between Baldacci, Grisham and then all my chick lit like Sophie Kinsella and Gemma Townley.

grayarabs
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:15 PM
I am reading the last (12th) of "The Poldark Saga". Will dread finishing the series. I have so enjoyed each and every book of the twelve.
Would like to read another series just like it - any ideas? (historical fiction based in Cornwall).

Blugal
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm reading Plum Spooky which is one of the 'between the numbers' books in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

It's a series about a 30-something New Jersey woman who ends up working as a bail bonds enforcement agent (aka bounty hunter) but who's not very good at it. She has a great sense of humour, there is a little romance, lots of unlikely situations and great side-kicks.

They are a laugh-a-minute fluff read - very good when you're in between heavy reading (in my case, the British Columbia Business Corporations Act :lol:)

Simkie
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:28 PM
Um, okay...let me go look.

The Demon Awakens, by RA Salvatore.

I wouldn't have picked it up in a store, but Amazon has all these FREE books for the Kindle. Yay for free!

sprite
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
Just finished An Echo in the Bone for the 2nd time, working on Jill Ker Conway's True North (memoir) and Matthew Pearl's The Dante Club.

Dazednconfused
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:41 PM
Do audiobooks count? I just finished The Devil Wears Prada for the second or third time, and am now listening to "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" by Chelsea Handler. It's really funny, and a nice, light read :)

BohemianRN
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs. Smith;4521359]I've read a few good books lately.

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls - my recent favorite (not really about horses, but there are horses in the story). I highly recommend it!
Ford County by John Grisham - easy to read short stories worth picking up.
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold - I didn't enjoy as much as The Lovely Bones.

I'm reading Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah now. Although I like it so far, I'm not enjoying it as much as the books above.

I'd like to start the Elm Creek Quilters series next. I'm also going to cruise Costco's book aisle this weekend and see if they have anything interesting.[/Q

The Lovely Bones is amazing! I've read it 5xs already! Soon to be a movie by Peter Jackson!
I just read Little Bee by Chris Cleave, amazing book!
Reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (love her!)
Also for fun I'm reading:
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe (collection of holiday themed horror short stories).

ManyDogs
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Having finished most of the Philippa Gregory books, I'm now reading Jeffrey Archer's Kane and Abel.
I would ignore DH while I read PG's books.
Did take me awhile to get into Wideacre. Not her usual theme. :eek:

dani0303
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:58 PM
Currently reading Pat Conroy's Price of Tides. So far it's a very powerful and well written book. As soon as I'm finished I'll be starting his new book, South of Broad

TXnGA
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
The Collector by David Baldacci.

Will never ever read the Twilight series- barf.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:41 PM
I've been listening to Joshilyn Jackson's books - started with gods in Alabama and went on through Between, Georgia. If Jodi Piccoult were southern, and funny, she might write like Joshilyn Jackson.:) Plenty of plot twists, but very atmospheric.

I'm listening to her third now, called The Girl Who Stopped Swimming. It's not so southern as the others, but then it's set in Florida, which isn't really part of the South.:winkgrin:

As for print, I'm about to begin MC Beaton's newest Agatha Raisin mystery, There Goes the Bride. I love Agatha and her "small bearlike eyes.":D

sickofcollege
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on A Simple Girl, Stories My Grandmother Told Me.

I can't stand her grandson on the show Million Dollar Listing BUT her story is very inspirational.

http://www.joshflaggbook.com/

canyonoak
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:05 PM
"Crazy For the Storm" - Norman Ollestad
which is the story of the bond between father and son, which the son thinks about--and writes about--in recalling the defining tragedy of his life: age 11, he and his father are in an airplane crash on the side of a mountain and only the boy lives, using all the skills his father imparted to him in those few precious years. This is a true event, not fiction.

"Better" - Atul Gawande who is a surgeon and a writer, and here is writing really strong essays on what medicine really is and how to make it better---and what making it better can and does mean.

"The Red Kimono" Laura Joh Rowland . Yet another in the Sano Ichiro series, set in ancient Japan and featuring the redoubtable Sano Ichiro and his lovely wife Reiko, as they unravel whatever mystery has befallen the emperor and his court. I love this series, although not all of them equally.

Twigster
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
I like to alternate the serious with the "for entertainment only"...

I just finished (feels like the 100th time...) The Plague by Albert Camus, its just the most amazingly thought provoking novel.

So as not to spent too much time pondering existentialism, I grabbed Tami Hoag's Cry Wolf last night. Nothing like a good TH novel! Sadly I read it all this morning, but Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen is next on the list. Has anybody read it? I really liked Water for Elephants, so I have high hopes for this one.

Mrs. Smith
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:31 PM
So as not to spent too much time pondering existentialism, I grabbed Tami Hoag's Cry Wolf last night. Nothing like a good TH novel! Sadly I read it all this morning, but Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen is next on the list. Has anybody read it? I really liked Water for Elephants, so I have high hopes for this one.

I read Riding Lessons last month. I loved Water For Elephants, so I was excited to get her "horse" book. I liked RL, but to me, it's nothing like WFE. It's an easy-to-read horse novel, so it's hard to be too critical, but I found WFE harder to put down.

Twigster
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hmmm. I had such high hopes too...

But as long as its an OK horse read, I'll give it a chance.

Mrs. Smith
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hmmm. I had such high hopes too...

But as long as its an OK horse read, I'll give it a chance.

It's definitely better than most horse novels! Just consider this one in your "for entertainment only" rotation.

Linny
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:46 PM
Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman. It's a history of royal infidelity, written in a light manner. Oddly enough, my boss loaned it to me.
For something less frivolous I'm also reading Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowdenabout the Iranian hostage crisis.

dghunter
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:19 AM
working on Jill Ker Conway's True North (memoir)

Did you read Road from Coorain? It's also by her, it was pretty good, another one we read for our Women Writers class.

Event4Life
Nov. 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm not reading anything at the moment because I have exams coming up. However, on my list is...

William Fox Pitt's Biography. I got it signed! :-)
Guns and Rain, a book about the liberation struggle in Zimbabwe. Will be heavy going but one of my courses this semester is Zimbabwe: Politics of a Post Colonial State and I LOVE it.

shall
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:30 AM
"America's Women, 400 years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates and Heroines" by Gail Collins. It's a fast read and starts off with the first colonists and rolls forward through four centuries of history. The writer employed researchers to go through letters and books, then compiled it all into a great read - it is very like taking a voyage through the past and meeting everyone. I ran across it at the library when I was pursuing her newest book (out on loan) "When Everything Changed".