PDA

View Full Version : Best "grown up" movie to see?

Kairoshorses
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:01 PM
I can tell you ALL ABOUT the movies rated G/PG-13 that are aimed toward a middle-school audience...but I MIGHT actually get to see a GROWN UP movie (was going to say "adult", but then realized that brings up a whole 'nother type of flick...!) this weekend.

If you could only see ONE MOVIE that's out now, that doesn't necessarily appeal to a teen but rather a "grown up" sensibility (or perhaps that's rated R, which we don't let our kiddos see), which movie would you see??

MHM
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:10 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Me and Orson Welles, but I don't think it comes out for another week or two.

see u at x
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:12 PM
Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning book The Road came out in theaters today. It stars Viggo Mortenson, Charlize Theron, and Robert Duvall. I went with a friend of mine tonight. Excellent movie, if not disturbing and depressing.

Also, and it's rated PG-13, but The Blind Side about Michael Oher came out on Friday. I went to go see that one last night and thought it was very, very good. I actually forgot that Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw were playing two of the main characters because they were so good in their roles.

KateKat
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:24 PM
I've heard "The Blind Side" is an entertaining movie. All the ones I really want to see aren't coming out until December...sigh

MHM
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:27 PM
I want to see Blind Side, too. I've heard good things about it.

Plus: Tim McGraw. ;)

see u at x
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
I want to see Blind Side, too. I've heard good things about it.

Plus: Tim McGraw. ;)

:lol: He didn't even look like Tim McGraw, which was so weird! Clean shaven and no cowboy hat...I still can't get over it.

MHM
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
:lol: He didn't even look like Tim McGraw, which was so weird! Clean shaven and no cowboy hat...I still can't get over it.

Did you see him in Friday Night Lights (the movie)? He did such a good job in that! He played a really awful character, and he did it so well, I cringed whenever he was in a scene.

Which was a pretty remarkable feat of acting, considering how much I like Tim McGraw. :yes:

see u at x
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:52 PM
Did you see him in Friday Night Lights (the movie)? He did such a good job in that! He played a really awful character, and he did it so well, I cringed whenever he was in a scene.

No, I never saw that one. But now I'm going to have to rent it! I always wanted to see it anyway (just never got around to it), so this gives me a good excuse. Thanks! :)

MHM
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:01 AM
No, I never saw that one. But now I'm going to have to rent it! I always wanted to see it anyway (just never got around to it), so this gives me a good excuse. Thanks! :)

I think that was one of his first acting jobs. He didn't have a huge part, but he really did it well.

Also loved him in Flicka, though that part was possibly not a huge stretch for him. He also looked very comfortable on horseback in that movie. :cool:

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:07 AM
Also loved him in Flicka, though that part was possibly not a huge stretch for him. He also looked very comfortable on horseback in that movie. :cool:

Us horsewomen are such suckers for cute guys in cowboy hats and on horseback, aren't we? :lol: And speaking of hot guys on horseback in movies, a funny thing about The Road tonight was that there was a brief flashback of Viggo with a big black horse. There is no mention of a horse in the book, according to my horsey friend who has read it. I can't help but wonder if that was Viggo's doing since he's such a fan of our equine friends. If so, what a guy!

2DogsFarm
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:22 AM
I recommend Precious - very dark, but the acting is awesome and the ending is at least hopeful.
Mo'nique deserves an Oscar nomination and the girl who plays Precious too.

If you'd rather be entertained see This Is It - it will remind you why Michael Jackson was a great entertainer and the production is amazing.

AVOID 2012 - a parade of cliches & bad acting. I was cheering for the cataclysm.

blueskye
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:16 AM
AVOID 2012 - a parade of cliches & bad acting. I was cheering for the cataclysm.

OMG 2Dogs, that was my take exactly

My recomendation is on DVD already: Pan's Labirynth

Chall
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:44 AM
Heck, I saw the trailers or bits of Precious somewhere on TV and thought I do NOT want to see that movie. Then later I read a review and realized I had thought Precious was a documentary. That has to be one amazing actress because I completely thought it was real. I still have trouble realizing that it's a film and she is acting.

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:56 AM
Whenever I see the previews to Precious (which I haven't seen yet, so thanks for the thumbs up!), I just want to grab hold of that girl and take her home with me to get her out of that horrible household she lives in. And then I want to surround her with with good people who will tell her every day how wondeful she is. I agree with Chall...she must be an incredible actress.

superpony123
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:09 AM
Well, I don't even know whats out now (i'm serious. the only tv i watch is House and Curb your enthusiasm. i record both so i skip through the commercials. NO idea whats playing in theatres right now!)

BUT some good movies to get at blockbuster:

The Departed
A Beautiful Mind
Valkyrie (okay, i know, it's TOM CRUISE who we all hate, but valkyrie was very well done and it's definitely not for kids. especially the end. but i wont spoil)
12 Angry Men (oldie but goodie)

tle
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing The Road.

One that's out on DVD (or at least On Demand is where we watched it) is Defiance with Liev Schrieber and Daniel Craig. EXCELLENT movie based on a true story set in WWII.

snbess
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:27 AM
I saw The Blind Side on Sunday. Really, really good. I was doing fine until I realized it was a true story...then I lost it.

Jolie_
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:59 AM
I am thinking of going to the movies tonight with my husband, want to see the Blind Side - anyone else go with their SO? How did they like it? I always feel bad going to see "chick" flicks with him as he gets bored.

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have heard good things about "The Time traveler's Wife". It is suppose to be beautifully made. Not sure how closely it follows the book but sounds like it does. I haven't finished the book yet but hoping the movie might be offered on my flight back to Australia.

Other faves:
Australia - even if it just for the scenery , story i will say could have been better. Also nice for me since i have been everywhere in the movie.

All time fave movie: Finding Neverland with Johnny Depp

Did anyone see Whip It with Ellen Page?

P.

buschkn
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
There is a FABULOUS German movie called "The Lives of Others". It is subtitled obviously, and is a rental, but thought I'd put it out there as I bet a lot of people haven't seen it. It is very thought provoking, well acted, and a really wonderful film.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have heard good things about "The Time traveler's Wife". It is suppose to be beautifully made. Not sure how closely it follows the book but sounds like it does. I haven't finished the book yet but hoping the movie might be offered on my flight back to Australia.

P.

Finish the book first. It's easier to make sense of what happens. Not a whole lot is different, but the book is more in depth. GREAT movie, fantastic book.

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:39 PM
I am thinking of going to the movies tonight with my husband, want to see the Blind Side - anyone else go with their SO? How did they like it? I always feel bad going to see "chick" flicks with him as he gets bored.

I think there is enough football stuff going on in this movie that most guys will probably appreciate that. Plus, there are cameos by a lot of famous college coaches! There were a lot of guys in the theater when I went, most with their SOs, and they laughed a lot, if that counts for anything. :)

Jolie_
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
Great, I mentioned it to him and I didn't get the rolled eyes so going to go watch tonight.

dani0303
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:05 PM
I can't wait to see The Blind Side!!

If it's still in theaters, I'd recommend Law Abiding Citizen. I thought it was a great psychological type thriller

2DogsFarm
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:23 PM
OMG 2Dogs, that was my take exactly

My recomendation is on DVD already: Pan's Labirynth

Great choice!
That was a visually stunning flick.
Director has another film out, but for the life of me I cannot recall the title....

My next movie choice will be
The Lovely Bones - I "read" the book on tape and loved it.

OnThinIce
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:07 PM
That would be Hellboy II (And Hellboy). Not as intense as PL, but still, visually stunning.

And I second The Lives of Others. Another well done, intense flick.

And for something still adult, but a little lighter, Cashback.

AppJumpr08
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:08 PM
We went to see The Blind Side last week - excellent movie. :yes::yes:

toxicity
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning book The Road came out in theaters today. It stars Viggo Mortenson, Charlize Theron, and Robert Duvall. I went with a friend of mine tonight. Excellent movie, if not disturbing and depressing.

So good, but there was one part I needed to look away, curl up in a ball, cover my ears, and think of ponies. I'm still a little bit scarred from it. But it was excellent. :yes: It seems so real when you're watching it, like you get pulled into their world.
-Up in the Air (not sure if this one is out yet)
-Milk
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
-Momento

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
So good, but there was one part I needed to look away, curl up in a ball, cover my ears, and think of ponies. I'm still a little bit scarred from it. But it was excellent. :yes: It seems so real when you're watching it, like you get pulled into their world.

Are you talking about the one house scene? If so, that's the same one that I covered my eyes during, too! My friend read the book and said that that scene was done a little differently, but otherwise still the same. She said that she slept with the lights on for 2 weeks after reading that book because she was so freaked out by it. :eek:

KBG Eventer
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
I haven't seen Blind Side yet (I want to though), but I had to jump in and say that it is about family from here in Memphis! I just think that is cool. My younger sister goes to the same school. I guess Sandra Bullock came one time and no one recognized her.

Tha Ridge
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
Precious is amazing. I read The Road, but haven't seen the movie yet so I don't want to recommend it without knowing if the movie is as good as the book.

Dazednconfused
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:29 PM
Did anyone see Whip It with Ellen Page?

P.

Yup, loved it. She is so freaking entertaining, but the whole cast is great.