PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a D.O. Rather than an M.D.?

4Martini
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:48 PM
DH and I are looking for a primary care doctor and have come across some with a D.O. degree and are trying to get a view of the difference in practice. So, have you used both- what did you see as the difference?

Go Fish
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:05 PM
I've used DOs exclusively for 40 years. There's really not a lot of difference between a DO and a MD. I think the DO is more holistic in approach to overall body health. I think they are better able to deal with skeletal and muscular issues than a MD. This is primarily why I use them.

I would still use a MD, but as a rider, I prefer the DO who works to KEEP me riding, rather than figuring out ways to make me stop.

lolalola
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have a friend who is a DO and he said there is really not any difference. It's where you went to school - like a VMD or DVM degree.

mustangtrailrider
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have used DOs in the past. I would use them again, but they do not practice where I now live. In my opinion, there is not much different. Mainly, DOs have more of a whole body approach, including nutritional, massage, chiropractic, massage, etc before drugs, surgery, etc. I believe that they try to allow the body to heal itself before resorting to other methods.

I would certainly use a do again. Much more relaxed and laid back. Not as pill happy or surgery happy.

dghunter
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
I used one when I had some bad back pain. Preferred the approach the DO took rather than one an MD might take. I would use him/one again :yes:

FatPalomino
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:20 PM
Good question!

I've heard DO school is a different school than MD school. The MD students say DO school is easier to get into, but a MD degree is more prestigous.

Found this on the net :
"Both DOs and MDs attend four years of medical school and take comparable state licensing exams. Osteopathic doctors, however, have additional training in the musculoskeletal system and focus more on the whole person, as well as on preventive care."

Wayside
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
I've used both, and while they were all different, it was in their own individual ways as opposed to being able to tell which were DO's or MD's. I'd be willing to try either, and I've had bad luck with both.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:36 AM
My favorite PCPs have been DO's. I'm with a DO's ofc right now, though I see an FMP regularly.

The only time I had a different PCP, was a switch to an Internist, who was a FABULOUS change, as I am diabetic. He was more up on new meds/treatments etc., but he was also brilliant (literally-genius) and it's hard to say if the specialty/initials etc. were really the difference.

I loff DOs though. If you have something chronic, they often will look to treat the CAUSE more than the symptoms... i.e. 'regular' docs will prescribe Rx for migraine... DOs will too--but might also do massage/adjustments/Osteopathic manipulation to try to resolve the cause.

mbv
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:52 AM
No opinion on DOs but DO/MD is not really the same as VMD/DVM. All American vet schools give you a DVM except for the University of Pennsylvania which grants a VMD. Veterinary curricula are all extremely similar with some differences in timing. There is much more variety in what is emphasized in DO vs MD schools. You could probably tell the difference between a person with DO training and a person with MD training while you probably could not tell the difference between a Penn vet and all other vets...

mswillie
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:39 AM
My PCP is a DO but I had to think about it for a minute. My sister is a DO as well and I don't think her practice is "different" than that of an MD. She shares an office with another DO and they have no shortage of new patients so I have to assume that people are happy with the care and are telling friends and family.

When I was working as a nurse I worked with both MDs and DOs and couldn't really tell you which was which. Maybe it's regional but here I don't see much difference at all.

mypaintwattie
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:44 AM
I went to a DO last year, and found she was just as quick to prescribe drugs for my ailments as my normal family MD.

nightsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:02 AM
I did, not only because he had a holistic approach but also because he used Ayurveda, the very ancient Indian system of health care. Truly believe it saved my life.