PDA

View Full Version : Broody Hens!! ARGH. Ideas for kicking them off?

Calvincrowe
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:40 PM
Why? Why now? I have two hens (out of 12) who have suddenly decided to hijack the nest boxes and sit. Just sit. On their eggs or anyone else brave enough to climb over them and lay an egg. I've had it with them. And the big Delaware hen is loud and quite, um, determined to not be uprooted-she bites on with her beak and won't let go! That hurts!

Ideas? Or do I just wait them out? Which sucks..

2foals
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
The best thing to do is wait them out. You could separate them and put them elsewhere so they don't hog your nestboxes in the meantime.

blueboo
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:44 PM
pull the eggs. If necessary wait until hen gets up to eat/drink, then pull them. Hens won't sit (for long) on nothing.

I have two that go broody as soon as 2 eggs appear under them (communal nest box, I have 6 boxes, they all use the same one - go figure! :rolleyes:) but as long as I pull the eggs, they're fine.

ReSomething
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:08 AM
If it weren't so late in the year and you had a rooster around I'd say use 'em. Otherwise just pull the eggs. If you have to wear a thick gardening glove so she can get a beakful of that and not your flesh.

Watermark Farm
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
Pick up the eggs and put the hens somewhere else (cage, other coop, stall) for a couple of days. They will forget about brooding and go back to laying eggs.