PDA

View Full Version : Heart Burn

LockeMeadows
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:42 PM
I had heart burn for the first time two days ago. I also have a history of SVT (very fast heart rate) and Tachy/Brady Syndrome (heart rate will go from 140's to high 30's, often with a heart block).

Two mornings ago, I was driving home from work (I'm an RN in the ER). The left side of my chest began having crushing pain. My left shoulder was on fire. The pain traveled down my left arm. I had trouble breathing. I arrived home and the pain brought tears to my eyes. On one had, I had classic signs and symptoms for an MI (heart attack), but it just didn't FEEL cardiac related. I ate a box of Tums and was much better.

I'm now almost 18 weeks pregnant and this was my first heart-burn. I will do everything in my power for this never to happen again!

deltawave
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
given your job description it would seem beyond obvious that you'd know better than to dismiss this as nothing, right? Why are you telling the COTH universe and not your doctor? Pregnant women can have coronary dissections and all manner of things, including, yes, bad heartburn. Be sensible, go get it checked out!

dressurpferd01
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:28 PM
Ummm...no offense but when you have something like excruciating pain on your left side of your chest, get your ass to the ER ASAP. I have SVT too, but it's never caused heart burn. My acid reflux on the other hand...

Kairoshorses
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:47 PM
I will tell you that with my first child, I had HORRIBLE heartburn. I feel for you.

LockeMeadows
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:45 AM
given your job description it would seem beyond obvious that you'd know better than to dismiss this as nothing, right?

It would seem that way wouldn't it? It scared me to the point I called my mom (who is the chest pain manager for our entire hospital system) and had her come home from work. I can't explain other than saying in my gut it just didn't feel cardiac in nature. There was no feels of impending doom, just a lot of pain. I spoke at length last night with one of our docs and he gave me an "un-official" exam. My EKG did not have any ectopy and I was in a NSR. We did not pull enzymes.

Now that I'm "in-foal", I need to watch what I eat for fear of getting heart-burn again. It was a horrible feeling and not something I want to experience again any time soon.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
I feel for you! I had horrible heart-burn with mine. The old-wives tail says heartburn means your baby will have lots of hair. My pregnancies definitely proved it! I had it worst with my first...she was born with black hair that was 2 inches long! She never even rubbed a bald spot and now at 16, has the most gorgeous thick hair I've ever seen (didn't get it from me!). The 2nd the heartburn wasn't too bad and she had less hair than any of them. The 3rd was somewhere in the middle, and hair was the same.

:)

LockeMeadows
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:27 PM
I feel for you! I had horrible heart-burn with mine. The old-wives tail says heartburn means your baby will have lots of hair. My pregnancies definitely proved it! I had it worst with my first...she was born with black hair that was 2 inches long! She never even rubbed a bald spot and now at 16, has the most gorgeous thick hair I've ever seen (didn't get it from me!). The 2nd the heartburn wasn't too bad and she had less hair than any of them. The 3rd was somewhere in the middle, and hair was the same.

:)

That is so funny! DH and I both have TONS of hair, so no doubt LO will too.

heatherny2
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:40 PM
My 2 boys proved that heartburn is related to their hair. I had it so bad I lived on tums for the full 10 months for both!! and they were both born with full heads of thick hair, in fact there was so much hair they almost looked like they were wearing wigs! Yeah, me and DH have lots of hair, so I knew I was in for it.

Pelican Bay
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
Pepcid AC is your friend. Heartburn is horrible. I have GERD and have lived on that stuff at times.

FlashGordon
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hey LM you and I must be due right about the same time.......

Luckily no heartburn for me but have had staggering round ligament pain that put me in bed the first part of the week.

My mom keeps saying "oh just wait till you get bigger..." THANKS MOM!

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Mara
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:48 PM
I take Omeprazole daily, and eat Pepcid chewables like candy.

00Jumper
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:00 AM
Not pregnant (thank goodness :lol: - maybe one day but PLEASE NOT YET) but I have really bad acid reflux due to some stomach valve issues. Omeprazole is your friend, trust me. There came a day for me where I was laying on the couch, shaking in pain, muscle spasms, etc. and the OTC stuff just wasn't cutting it. Went to the doctor, he put me on Omeprazole 1x/day and I've been right as rain ever since (unless I do something crazy like, you know, eat a dozen hot wings and drink a bunch of beer or something :lol:).

vacation1
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:09 AM
:dead::dead: Another good reason to not get pregnant;) I have had heartburn a few times and it's scary as well as painful. I got super lucky last night and had it while I was stuck in horrendous traffic at night, in the dark, during a heavy rain, on Thanksgiving Eve, alone and trapped on an expressway running through a massive slum. Good times. Thank God for 4-day weekends...