PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reading "Under the Dome"?

IveGotRhythm
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:12 PM
I just bought it yesterday and between horses and Thanksgiving preparations I haven't made it more than a few chapters in (grrrrr...what I really wanted to do was sit down for two straight days and read it through).

With the number of characters and the fact that it only covers one day I am wondering if it's just character sketches the whole way through?

Stephen King said that the original book covered a whole week and was monsterously long- I wonder if they'll ever release that version?

macsmum
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:28 AM
I just finished it...stayed up til 2am to do it! I thought it was great, though I'd read the phone book if SK wrote it. :) The story unfolds over 7 or 8 days, I think...definitely more than one day. And 1100 pages qualifies as monstrously long in my mind! Enjoy!

MunchkinsMom
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
Shhhh - It's on my list to pick it up this weekend. I also read anything and everything that SK writes, so don't give it away.

hey101
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:45 AM
I just posted on the other "what are you reading thread"- I am reading this right now. I love it. I love SK. I think he is a great writer. IT, The Stand, The Talisman- great stuff.

RolyPolyPony
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:37 AM
I read it last week! It's not my favorite of his, but I still LOVED it. I'm so glad he finally wrote something _long_ again too :)

Guin
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:12 AM
I've read it twice already. On par with The Stand, but maybe not quite as good as Duma Key. Big Jim Rennie is a villain for the ages.

And it does not cover "only one day." It's a week.

bauhaus
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
??? It does cover more than one day! I'm listening to the audio version, not even 1/3 of the way through, & the story is at least 2 days into the crisis so far. I can see it covering way less than a week though....

I'm liking this one a lot. It feels very "old school" Stephen King.

Lori T
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:07 AM
Finished it this past week. I really enjoyed it, was craving for an epic from Stephen King..was almost ready to reread THe Stand for the umteenth time until I saw it was being released. So many bad people in this book though. I liked the ending though. Wasn't sure how he was going to wrap it up! Now I guess I need to go through my SK library and find something else to reread!