PDA

View Full Version : Ok I do love my fam...

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:21 PM
...and am utterly thankful for them...

but the holiday dysfunction has begun!

Brother on the phone fighting with girlfriend about which bar they are going to tonight and who will be there.

Sister just arrived with a$$hole husband and large, very unruly, 7 month old puppy. (Did I mention we already have three dogs. :rolleyes:) We thought she was boarding him for the weekend?!?

My mom is running around cleaning and pretending to cook. But really I'll be cooking tomorrow, so..... And of course her and my aunt are battling over whose house grandma is going to tomorrow.

Flu-ish husband is hiding in his "man cave" with sudafed and gatorade, mumbling about how we're going to Florida next year for Thanksgiving (I'm all for that!)

And I'm knocked up so I can't even drown it out with a stiff drink!!! Instead toddler and I are holed up in my room watching Lion King and eating M&M's....... gotta love it!

Seriously I love them all, am thankful for so very much this year.... but I just had to laugh. Somehow the dysfunction is oddly comforting. At least some things never change.... ;)

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:22 PM
LOL!

birdsong
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:26 PM
Be thankful!! This said as I sit here with......CATS!! sigh :confused:

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:28 PM
Aww Birdsong you're welcome to fly on up to NY and join us...

Hell, bring the cats....

Gestalt
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:28 PM
Oh I would love to be alone with my cats and horses. I moved many miles away from my family to not deal with this craziness. I want my sister to move back to the "west" side and my brothers to only remember my number once a year.

Seriously, I moved to get away from them, my family is nuts.

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
My brother says I am borderline anti-social... LOL... maybe I am!

Seriously they are all awesome.... (aside from the brother-in-law)

It is just.... typical holiday craziness overload!!!!!

birdsong
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
Aww Birdsong you're welcome to fly on up to NY and join us...

Hell, bring the cats....

Thanks for the invite....I think I'm teetering on the brink of a pity me party..sniff....

Perhaps the weather will be nice tomorrow and I can ride a bit and all will be better!:)

Woodland
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
Me too - just can not articulate real personal stuff - it is just to weird!

What was the siggy someone had last year....."What is it about the Holidays that makes people saddle up their drama llamas and take them for a spin?"

Any way it fits my siblings to a T!

Edited to add: All horsey buddies welcome at my table in Illinois! Happy to have you here!

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:07 PM
Flash-too bad you don't cook as poorly as I do. Nobody would ever have me do Thanksgiving dinner again. Actually, I think the microwave turkey dinner is just dandy, and I think they make a 'hungry man' version with lots more of the cheap turkey and watery gravy too. Maybe that's why nobody ever asks me to do dinner? Actually, I think the big hotel buffet dinner is great, and you can eat all you want, plus there's lots of variety for everyone's taste.

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:10 PM
Jan I'm with ya on the Thanksgiving buffet thing.......

Actually I think my Step-mom down in Nashville has got it right. She cooks the turkey but orders everything else from a local, down home, southern style diner.

My own mom was never into cooking so I made a point to learn how, and I'm pretty good at it. Now that grandma has retired from holiday duties (rightfully so, at 87) it seems a lot of the cooking has become my job.... Totally fine, at least I know it will taste good I guess?!? Figure if we are gonna have family craziness we gotta at least have some good eats to get us through.... LOL.

If I had my way, Thanksgiving would be all Pumpkin Pie and Cranberry Sauce. Yum.

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
PS- I am doing everything I can to NOT train the damn puppy. It's really hard.

I want to just stick him on a leash and drag him around with me for the next 4 days and teach him some manners. Little beast! So darn cute tho'.....

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:21 AM
Woodland: LOVe that siggy! But can't remember who had it.

P.

ValleyMiss
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:42 AM
I feel ya with the family dysfunction FG. My cousin just got engaged and none of us like his fiance. Dinner today will be um...interesting to say the least. Makes me glad to have an excuse to leave after we eat. The ponies all need to eat too! :lol:

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
This needs to be printed out and mailed anonymously to every person walking the earth 2 weeks before Thanksgiving:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/before-during-and-after-how-to-declare-a-truce-at-the-holiday-dinner-table-547684/

OMG I was up all night because my 50 year old sister started the drama on FACEBOOK with me yesterday - for God's sake! Bringing two other sister's in on it. I hadn't even thought of her in weeks. She always brings the drama and I walked away for my own sanity in September. ARGH!!! No doubt about it if we were not related we would never have known one another we have nothing in common. She was not invited to dinner.

ARGH!

OK I have to get past this one today. :(

EventingJ
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:28 AM
ahhh! Thank goodness my family is playing it very low key this year! Mom is working, Brother one is having dinner with just his family, my other brother is going to his in-laws, my mother-in-law is up in Alaska (DIF)... so that leaves me, my husband and my father and his wife - who I get along the best with! Generally everyone crams into someones house and I chug wine until I'm not annoyed anymore.

FG our families have a lot of simularities! I feel for you, especially because you can't do the wine-chug thing!! :(

FlashGordon
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:54 AM
OMG I was up all night because my 50 year old sister started the drama on FACEBOOK with me yesterday - for God's sake!

HA why is it always the old(er) people that start the drama on Facebook?!? And I thought the teenagers were bad. I swear it is like middle aged women see Facebook as a way to air their grievances against everyone...

Well we all survived the first night. Mr. FG and I are the boring ones of the bunch so we are kind of just sitting back and taking it all in.... at least it is good entertainment!!

Alright now back to cooking....