PDA

View Full Version : Incredible dog looking for a home in W. Wa

didgery
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:10 PM
Spayed female, about two years old, largish (shepherd mix??) and SWEET. Lexi has the most incredible, soulful mascara eyes ever and a gorgeous coat (short and plush, like a lab but Soooo much softer). Lexi is absolutely great with people but has recently attacked (not injured) the other dog in her household, a dying Aussie mix with cancer. Her owners are absolutely heartbroken by this but they want to ensure that their old dog feels completely safe for the remainder of his life (probably not long) and they aren't able to handle the separation thing right now. They are looking for a new family for Lexi and if they cannot find one she will go to the shelter on Friday (day after tomorrow).

I work with Lexi's mom and I actually was the one that gave them Lexi after finding her, emaciated, in the road about a year ago. She is thriving in every way except for her dominant behavior over the other dog. I have had her at my house and she is submissive to my two dogs, but my younger ACD cannot handle another female dog in the house so I cannot bring her here again.

Thanks!

didgery
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:12 PM
I wanted to add - please don't blame the owners for being unwilling to work with Lexi on this. They love their old Aussie like a child and they feel absolutely 100% strongly about ensuring his quality of life right now for the last months. They have spent thousands on radiation and chemo and they are absolutely devoted to helping him feel safe right now. It might not be the choice that I would make but in their case I think that their hearts are so tied up in the older dog that Lexi simply can't fit in right now.

didgery
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
bump!

Lone
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:43 PM
She sounds like a great dog, if I wasn't living in an apartment right now I'd be all over it. Good luck- I hope she can find a good home!

patch work farm
Nov. 26, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have had a similar issue and patience became my best friend. I still have the "bossy" dog, 8 years later.

I had a dog dying of cancer (I didn't know it at the time that he was) he was 7, about to turn 8 so I didn't even consider cancer or death (yes, I suffer from denial). I introduced my 1 year old rescue dog and she was "snappy" at the older dog. [If his death hadn't been so sudden (1 week from finding out he had cancer to when I put him to sleep so he wouldn't continue to suffer) I might have gotten rid of my current dog.]

I think it had everything to do with fear, I think she sensed the cancer or possibly the "smell of death", she knew that he was dying and tried to be dominant because of it. Animals sense things long before we figure it out. Hard to determine if that was the case because I cannot obviously think like a dog, but I now have 5 dogs and she does not act at all that way towards any of them. (Although there are days she looks at me like, "remember when it was just the two of us?")

If they truly do not like the dog then they should find her a home but it might be that once their other dog is gone, they will regret not keeping her. Is there anyway that they can keep her confined from the other dog while they are dealing with this?