PDA

View Full Version : Loose monkey stalking our neighborhood!

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:25 PM
No, really, there has been a loose monkey stalking the area around where we live. The authorities think it is a maqaque (sp?) and apparently it has made it to our neighborhood from Tampa, which is about 15-20 miles away. It was last seen around noon today crossing a busy 6 lane road, about 1 mile south of us. Can't even imagine sitting on my back porch (which is thankfully screened in) and seeing a monkey run through my backyard..I really think I would either freak out or pee my pants laughing!! :lol:

islgrl
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm so jealous. The most exotic thing I'm likely to see in my yard is a wild turkey...

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
ha ha, years ago when we lived in a town a little north of here, we had a turkey show up in our front yard (was not wild, was an escapee from a nearby farm) and fell in love with its own reflection in my car..darn thing woke us up for 2 mornings in a row with its gobbling and then disappeared (did I mention it was around Easter, and we all thought someone decided they wanted turkey for Easter dinner)..I just don't want this monkey jumping in the back of my car or anything (I have an Isuzu Amigo and the soft top is missing the back window), yeah, I'm making sure my car stays in the garage...wouldn't want to go out in the morning and start driving, and have some monkey all of a sudden jump into the front seat. :eek:

FatPalomino
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Mokeys on island use to really love garbage. Put a big ole container out and see if you can get a photo op. They also loved the fruit, just before it was ripe, but they didn't eat it all, just the best, and would throw the rest on thr ground! Here's a picture of one:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/margpete/Picture7-2.png

And a baby:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/margpete/Picture12-1.png

Wanderluster
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had a squirrel monkey for a time while growing up. The little monster used to get loose and terrorize the neighborhood. One time he ran down the street then found a front door with the screen ajar and went inside the house. I got there in time to find out that he'd gotten into the nursery and was in the crib with a baby. Not long after that my Mom found a place to send the rogue monkey... well he did jump on her head and bite her just before the arrangements were made. :lol:

Foxtrot's
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Ugh - never liked those primates. Much prefer them out in their natural habitat, and then don't like to be close to them. I was raised in Uganda and several people kept one as pets and the nasty things would be hopping all over the place knocking things over, etc. My Mum said their bites were really filthy. When we went to the National Park the baboons would climb all over the car, ruining the wipers, scratching the paint job and trying to get their fingers into the windows to be given treats. Then they would sit on the hood and stick their ugly bums up against the windshield! Couldn't get away from them fast enough, stuff of nightmares.

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:53 PM
Years ago when Jack Hanna was director of the Columbus Zoo a bunch of monkeys escaped and took a long time to recapture-I think his book was named after them-something like "Monkeys on the Interstate". And they did capture one in someone's backyard shed or garage. If you see it call the cops immediately so they can call the wildlife people to get it before it ends up a road pizza.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
This thing has been on the loose since the weekend apparently..and yeah, they cautioned that it may become violent and its bites carry disease, etc.....they were trying to trap it but gave up and were not even succesful with tranq darts...it does kinda scare me, as I don't want to be walking down my street and suddenly have some monkey come at me...although we still do find humor in it (our neighborhood can be somewhat boring other than the typical regular domestic squabbles which would be another thread), since we do sit out back on our porch and can't imagine looking out and seeing this thing in our backyard (and we have fruit trees too)
Yeah, just earlier the darn squirrels (we have tons that like to taunt my dog) jumped on the fence and nearly scared me to death!!