PDA

View Full Version : Dog First Aid Kit

Defying Logic
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
My sister just got a new puppy, so for Christmas, I am putting together a Dog First Aid Kit for her. Any ideas for things outside the norm (wound dressings, thermometer, betadine...) to go in it?

Brookes
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:38 PM
You know I was at Costco yesterday and they had a really nice dog first aid kit already done up. I would check that out. I looked it over and it seemed very complete. Well if you have a Costco near you that is.

If not here are some items. Betadine, Hydrogen Peroxide and a dosing syringe (if you dose a dog with (fresh) peroxide they will puke. Something helpful when you saw them swallow your wedding ring. I retrieved a very nice cashmere sock this way!!! Yup I wear it still.

Vet wrap, small blunt tipped scissors, sterile gauze pads, wound cote dust, neosporine, baby aspirin, pepto bismol, sterile eye wash, styptic pencil.

I'm sure other folks will remember something I didn't list. What a thoughtful gift! I'm sure she will love it!

Rubyfree
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
OK, here's one most people don't think of- if it is a large breed dog, look into a bloat kit.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=180&category=&secondary=&keywords=bloat

Tubing a dog in the early stages of bloat can save it's life. You obviously utilize this on the way to the vet.

I have one for our dane, and I am comfortable with the procedures required. It's comforting to know it's in the house.

Brookes
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
Rubyfree great one! I don't even have that! And I have everything! I'm going to get that! I have large breeds and bloat can be a serious issue. Off to buy a bloatamaster!!!

spookhorse
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
I have a supply list and handwritten notes in PDF from from a vet who did a k9 first aid class for my SAR group. I was unable to attend but another member emailed it to me. I would be happy to forward it to anyone who wants to PM me your email addy :)

Defying Logic
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks! There is a Costco nearby, so I will make sure to check that out. I never knew there were bloat kits, the dog is a mutt, but I will look into that.

Spookhorse, I will PM you, thanks!