PDA

View Full Version : I love my husband, but...

Rebe
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:09 PM
I love my husband dearly, and it's a real treat to have him do most of the cooking. But for Thanksgiving this year, he's making a Pastrami Turkey.

Yup, three days of this bird brining in the fridge, and so far it's one of the least appetizing things I've ever seen. He's going to throw it on the barbecue grill to cook it. :eek:

I'm already practicing my tactful, gracious response to eating the thing while wishing that we had, well, a more normal Thanksgiving dinner. At least I can go for the stuffing and green beans, so I won't starve.

Please, somebody give me some hope that this isn't a disaster in the making...

jn4jenny
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:11 PM
1. Go to store.

2. Purchase bone-in turkey breast.

3. Quietly, and surreptitiously, place this in a slow cooker in some inconspicuous place. Your garage. Your spare bathroom. Wherever.

4. When and if Pastrami Turkey is disgusting, retrieve your secret weapon to the delight of all involved.

To be fair to your husband, ANYTHING looks disgusting in brine. I was quite grossed out the first year that we brined a turkey. But it tasted faaaaaantastic.

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
Actually, that sounds pretty tasty. But it wouldn't hurt to have one in reserve.

tabula rashah
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hey- how did you marry my husband???:D

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:52 PM
The best way I have ever had turkey was when it was brined. I mean it was juicy, tender, flavorful, I can't say enough. I've even done chickens like that. Mmmmmmmmm

Rubyfree
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:55 PM
I may not understand the details of what 'pastrami turkey' is, but brining is an excellent way to make whole poultry more flavorful and juicy. Really. My mad brining-and-grilling skills have one me many accolades.

redkat
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:09 PM
Agreed -- anything that's brining looks gross. But if you don't like it, it never hurts to have backup.

Ugh. I need to start cooking...