PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Thanksgiving dinner on crutches!

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
Broke my foot today playing hockey. In non-walking-cast and on crutches for six wretched weeks. Cooking my first ever Thanksgiving dinner for husband, parents, brother and brother's GF tomorrow. Husband has to work until dinner time. My mother in my kitchen makes me neurotic. Any advice?

I am having my husband buy me a bar stool tonight so I can sit on it tomorrow at counter height... and hopefully use it as a walker to get around the kitchen! Freaking perfect timing...

mjrtango93
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:59 PM
Broke my foot today playing hockey. In non-walking-cast and on crutches for six wretched weeks. Cooking my first ever Thanksgiving dinner for husband, parents, brother and brother's GF tomorrow. Husband has to work until dinner time. My mother in my kitchen makes me neurotic. Any advice?

I am having my husband buy me a bar stool tonight so I can sit on it tomorrow at counter height... and hopefully use it as a walker to get around the kitchen! Freaking perfect timing...

Get one with wheels so you can use a crutch to scoot you across the kitchen, that way you don't have to get up and down.

jn4jenny
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:03 PM
If your mother makes you crazy in the kitchen, I'd try to do as much as you can tonight at the kitchen table. Slice stuff, dice stuff, pre-mix stuff, and put it in the fridge for later. Mix dry ingredients for stuff like cornbread, etc. For example, put pre-measured spice packets in little Ziplocs for each dish (pumpkin pie, turkey, etc.) It's that little "running around" crap that really gets you at T'giving.

If you have a rolling chair, like an office chair, see if hubby will bring it down to the kitchen for you. You can use your good leg to push off one wall to get to another, thereby allowing you to transport pies, etc. If you can get hubby to help you with pies tonight, they can sit out for up to 24 hours (and/or go in the fridge. My family likes the pies cold).

And if you own a big enough crock pot, clean the bird and spice it now, then put it in the fridge overnight, then have hubby put it in the crock pot for you on High before he goes to work. Or at the very least, do the turkey breast in the crock pot--that way you only have to fuss with the legs and wings in an oven pan, rather than trying to haul the entire turkey in and out of the oven.

See if you can talk hubby into setting the table, including trivets and other things to put hot dishes on, tonight.

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
Great ideas, thanks!

I didn't know they had bar stools with wheels... looking 'em up now so I can tell the husband what to buy!

Fortunately I at least made pie and pumpkin bread yesterday, just have turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing tomorrow... was going to made corn pudding today, but maybe I can get that done tomorrow morning when my husband gets all the stuff down from the top shelves for me...

PhoenixFarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:54 PM
I can do you one better:

The morning of my first Thanksgiving as a married woman, having his whole family for dinner with the fest prepared for by yours truly, I have a horse spook and land square on my foot. Twenty minutes before I needed to start my prep and cooking.

The foot immediately became huge (almost had to cut my paddock boot off) and turned many fascinating colors, but I couldn't bag on the meal. So, I filled a tupperware container with ice, and spent the whole day cooking with my foot in the ice and tupperware. I'd just drag it across the floor like a shoe that didn't fit.

Went to the ER the next morning, found a crack in the bone on the top of the foot, but no displacement, so I had to wear one of the boot things for a month and then was fine.

The next year I declined to go to the barn the morning of Thanksgiving :winkgrin:.

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:16 PM
LOL PhoenixFarm!

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:40 PM
Well, keep taking those Loritabs, first of all.....

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
Don't do potatoes from scratch! They have the frozen Ore-Ida (I think that's the brand) mashers, you simply preheat in the microwave, then pour in a bowl and mash however you prefer. They also have the predone sweet potatoes-over in the meat or prepared food case next to the meat-just put them in a dish, put marshmallows on top and put in the oven. You can also get already to go apple pies and others pies at the bakery section-and since most of us use disposable pie plates anyway no one will know when they are warmed up and have ice cream or whipped cream on top. No one will know you didn't make them yourself, and definitely have someone who is more mobile remove the stuff from the oven or stove so you don't slip or drop something hot that splashes on you.