PDA

View Full Version : Turkey in electric roaster or oven?

Mali
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
What differences are there in cooking a turkey in a large electric covered roaster vs. in the oven? I just purchased a larger electric roaster and am trying to decide which would yield better results. Suggestions?

I soak my turkey overnight in a brine, and then fill it with herbs and carrots/onions to roast. No filling goes in the bird - I have a great slow cooker recipe for that ;)

minnie
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
your roaster will use less electricity than the roaster. Will also generate less overall, "kitchen heat", so often used to bake things in summer. My mother used hers all the time.
and also frees up the oven if you have other items that need to be baked. It's a bit difficult to try and cook turkey, pies, vegetable cassaroles, etc, all which usually need to be done simultaneously during holiday preparations. I have a 35 year old stove/oven I need to replace. Small oven on top, then burners, then regular oven. I've searched endlessly for a new one, but all the newer models have the microwave on top, which I don't need. I Loved the flexibility of the 2 ovens. sigh

selah
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:46 PM
Roaster!
We have 3 of them...use them extensively...for big batches of chili and hot dog sauce, etc. for fundraisers...also ideal for making large batches of caramel corn and home-made chex mix. The only thing I have found that it doesn't do well with, is things like ravioli with spaghetti sauce...because the sauce scorches in the corners, and you can't raise the temp high enough to cook it in a timely manner.

Mali
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
I went ahead and used the roaster. It heated up very quickly and did a pretty good job. I did "finish" the turkey in the regular oven for about 45 mins to get it good and brown. There was one "MINOR" issue - my turkey exploded! Yes - EXPLODED! I only stuffed it with celery, carrots and onions, but it must have been too much. Poor bird looked like somebody ran it over on the road :lol: Luckily I wasn't trying to impress anybody, and it saved the hassle of carving. It tasted just fine.