PDA

View Full Version : Real or Fake? ...and I don't mean those.

nickers@dawn
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:47 PM
It's about Christmas trees of course. Do you prefer a real tree with it's fragrant smell and messy needles? Or the fake variety, with it's ease of clean up but not so traditional feel?

As a child we always had a real tree, and I enjoyed the family outing to pick it out. As I got older and more rushed I switched to a fake one, but my own kid talked me into going back. She wanted a real tree complete with the cat climbing it!

darkmoonlady
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:52 PM
I used to be a sentimental stickler for the real thing, but not having to clean up a pile of needles, or reach under and try to water a tree thats dead anyway? Fake is the way to go, and I also went smaller, it is still Christmas even with a smaller tree, and you don't have to break your neck trying to get it decorated. I love my little three footer thats pre- lit. I think fake is the way to go...

Rackonteur
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
I like real trees better because they smell good and they're real. But after 2 bad experiences 10 years apart with real trees, I now have a fake tree. Cleaner, smaller, and I fell in love with it through a shop window.

But I still like the real ones better ...

mjrtango93
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:57 PM
I am probably the one and only person in the world that absolutely hates the smell of a pine tree. Outside its not so overwhelming but in a house, no thank you. Even as a kid we had a live Christmas tree in a stand we would wheel in each year, but I always begged and pleaded for a fake one! Now that I have my own house and rules, our tree happily lives in a box under our stairs 350 days of the year.

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:57 PM
I much prefer real, but I am pretty sure my dachshund and cats will eat the pine needles, so we've gone with artificial in the past few years. I do like to have a "Christmas branch" though, a la Emmett Otter. (:

Brookes
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have always loved that "smell", it just says Christmas!! However I adore my faux tree! It takes me 10 minutes to set it up, it is 8 feet tall, already lit and really an excellent faux tree.

What I do to get the smell in the house is I hang real wreaths on all the doors inside, and decorate them, also a nice real cedar or pine garland on the staircase. You can do table centerpieces with real greenery also that will be fragrant. Crap I've been watching too much freaking Martha Stewart!!!

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
Has to be real for me...that is the one thing I will not give on. The smell, picking it out, tying it to the roof of the car, and even the messy needles, make every Christmas special. That is the one tradition that truly brings home the holiday for me that I don't ever want to give up. I don't really get traditional or sentimental about any other holiday, but there is something about Christmas, with the tree, the stockings, the gifts under the tree, the certain way my family has always done it, that I really want to keep special.

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:55 PM
I grw up a real tree freak...would not even consider a holiday with a fake tree.
Until about 8-10 years or so ago. We had moved into a new home that had brand new pale cream berber carpeting in the family room. Had a real tree the first year there...sap all over the rug despite a tree skirt and needles seem to weave INTO the berber itself and I was stepping on hidden needles the next summer still.
Not to mention the cat playing in the water underneath and getting it everywhere.
Second year I bought a nice faux tree...with lights on it already and darn if the thing doesn's look real. It's the type you have to feel by hand to tell it's fake. Made life so much easier on the holidays and I loved it.
I still have it but some of the lights no longer work and I have to string more up. I've used Yankee Candle tree scents for the smell and those are pretty accurate but in the next year or so I'll probably go back to real trees again. We're no longer in the house with berber carpeting.

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
Always real, and for the past 17 years we have gone and cut it down ourselves. This was after I spent about $50 on a real cut tree at a fancy nursery, and within 24 hours it had lost all its needles. I had a naked Christmas tree for two weeks! :mad: After that year, I hunted around and found a farm where we can go and pick out our own, and the friendly farmer comes over with his buzz saw and cuts it down for us. Costs less than the dead one at the nursery, too!

Woodsperson
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
when the kids were little we always cut down a real tree. Now we have fake palm tree with Christmas decorations.

Claddagh
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:14 PM
...She wanted a real tree complete with the cat climbing it!

HoHoHo...been there, done that! Silly cat not only climbed the tree but brought the whole thing crashing to the floor. ooops!

Still prefer the real thing though - that, to me, really means Christmas. (Although some of the fake trees these days are pretty darn beautiful).

RegentLion
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:30 PM
Real. I've always had real. My grandparents have a fake one on a stand that rotates and plays music. As a little kid I thought that was the height of cool! :lol:

My DH insists on real trees, which is fine with me. He also insists that we get a "real and natural" one from the woods. He refers to the trimmed/commercial trees as "boob job trees" as they've had cosmetic surgery.... :sigh:

Our "real from the woods" trees look "ok" and smell GREAT and do NOT lose needles. Twice now, two different varieties and everything! We often forget to water them and they're up until Jan 15 at least. So far, so good!

winfieldfarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:39 PM
I grew up with real trees, the great blue spruce ones with the shelf-y branches that you decorated all the way to the trunk. Dad always drug it through the front door and we spent all day decorating it with the family full of ancient homemade ornaments my mother wouldn't throw out.

The first year my parents were married, they strung cranberries and hung them as garland on the tree. We still have them, although they are more like shrunken raisen bunny turds on old thread. And then there was the year my lit the decorative candles on the tree tips, only to have the tree and the drapes catch fire! Of course, we can't forget the year that mom decorated with little net wrapped bundles of Hershey's kisses on the branches. My mother got this quizzical look on her face at Christmas dinner until she realized that, watching over dad's shoulder from the dining table, she was seeing a mouse run out to the ends of the branches for a Christmas snack of chocolate.

I opt for a perfectly shaped and even fakey that fits all the lights and ornaments perfectly every year. After years of the cobbled up Charlie Brown monstrosities my mother pranced out every Christmas, I like a little bit more matchy matchy tree.

Family traditions can go either way, you follow them to the letter or you go completely the opposite!

Foxtrot's
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:44 PM
If I had to do without a real tree (whose needles last in my carpet and under the sofa all year) I'd do without one altogether. Just something about tradition.

Ajierene
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
We used to do real trees from a nursery. At one point my mother bought a tree in a pot and we used the same tree for a few years. In high school, my mom bought a fake tree on sale after Christmas and has been using it ever since.

My step-mom and step-sister used to cut a tree down every year and when she married my dad, they would often wait until we got to their house to cut down the tree - about three days before Christmas.

I do not buy a tree of any sort right now, since I live alone, but my sister-in-law likes to have trees cut down.

First year, we picked one out specifically because the main branch coming out of the top was about 2ft higher than the main tree. It was like a spear!

Last year, she got one to match her pregnant state.

Not sure what the plan is for this year, but I am looking forward to 'tree hunting'.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:47 PM
If I had to do without a real tree (whose needles last in my carpet and under the sofa all year) I'd do without one altogether. Just something about tradition.

:yes:

Roxy SM
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:09 PM
Definitely real. One of my favorite things about Christmas is picking out the "perfect" tree. In fact, a few years ago I was coming home from college too late to pick it out myself, so my grandmother went and I did not approve of the tree she chose. Therefore, the next year, I made sure my best friend (who is Jewish) went with her because she was getting home earlier than me, and since she had been coming to get trees with me since we were in like kindergarten, I knew I could trust her to pick a good one, and she didn't let me down. Last year's tree was perfect, and I hope we can find one as good this year.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:13 PM
I'm the same way...it has to be "just right" not too tall and skinny, not too short, just the right height and fullness, with no bare spots..takes me forever to pick it out, but it does look beautiful for at least the first 2 days!! :)

kdow
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:24 PM
we normally do real, but right now we have a fake tree because I needed one for a film anyway (can't really easily find a real cut tree in the middle of the city in the spring, plus it'd be difficult to replace if you had to do pick up shots later) so we'll probably go the fake tree with real branches elsewhere route for a while so we still have the smell. (Luckily, we have HUGE blue spruce in our front yard that tends to need trimming to keep it from taking over the stairs, so it's easy enough to run out and get a fresh bit every so often.)

Plus right now we tend to spend holidays not at home (visiting relatives in other parts of the country) so with the fake pre-lit tree we can put something up fairly quickly that makes the house feel more festive before we leave and when we get back, without feeling like we've wasted a bunch of time and money since we're gone for a big part of the holiday season.

Wayside
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:27 PM
I admit it, I'm a confirmed X-mas tree hater :lol:

At least the real ones smell nice, but the whole idea of going out and hacking down a perfectly good tree just so I can watch it die slowly in my living room covered in shiny dangly things seems sort of oddly morbid and unpleasant to me. DH loves the whole tree thing, though, so I'm always threatening to do my part by bringing home roadkill and piercing it's ears for the holidays. Somehow DH is not amused by that idea :lol:

And yes, I know I kill trees to wipe my butt, blow my nose, scribble out grocery lists, and do all sorts of other frivolous things with, but for some freaky irrational reason the X-mas tree thing creeps me out.

The artificial ones, too. Even though they're not really dying as I watch them, I still think of them as huge botanical crucifixes.

Quin
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
Real. And it doesn't have to be a perfect shape; that's what all those ornaments are for! In fact, you need a few holes to fill up with some of the bigger fancy balls.

dghunter
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:39 AM
Last year my parents bought a fake tree :no: Even worse, it's pre-lit! The horrors! :eek::lol: I am kind of sad about it but when my Mom switched to her new job it came with the fact that she has to go out of town the week after Thanksgiving. I've accepted the fact that we now have a fake tree at home (I have to have a fake one in my apartment, we're not allowed real ones). However, if they ever try to take my snow village away... :winkgrin: