PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable fee for leasing a Prelim horse

blaster
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
What would you pay to lease an older, prelim horse? How much would you adjust the price based on the competition record (e.g. a true packer vs. you'd get around sometimes)?

shawneeAcres
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
LEasing is usually based on the value of the horse as 1/3 of the value/price of the horse for a year lease. Therefore if said horse was a $15,000 horse, the lease would be $5K for a year. Of course, you can find leases all over the scale from very expensive (seen often in the big EQ horses) to free. So it really depends a lot on the horse and the situation

Gry2Yng
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:20 PM
Market for a one year lease is somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the market price - or whatever you can negotiate. :D

yellowbritches
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:24 PM
LEasing is usually based on the value of the horse as 1/3 of the value/price of the horse for a year lease. Therefore if said horse was a $15,000 horse, the lease would be $5K for a year. Of course, you can find leases all over the scale from very expensive (seen often in the big EQ horses) to free. So it really depends a lot on the horse and the situation

Yep. If I was leasing ANY horse, I would expect to pay at least the above plus expenses. I think I would be unlikely to pay much more than a 1/3 of its value over a year, especially with expenses, though. I would never look for a lease thinking I would only pay expenses...while that does happen (that was my deal with my first horse) and people are often ridiculously generous if they have a horse but no time for it, I never assume that's the case with a lease.

Blugal
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
I was offered one that would completely fit your description, would jump clean XC 100% of the time and could win the dressage with the right rider. Had gone up to Advanced but was getting older and would be staying at Prelim to keep him sound/happy. Generously, a year's lease was 1/3 of market value (more like 1/5-1/4). I ended up with an even better deal, owner was VERY generous and wanted to see us together. I gained valuable experience during that time.

OTOH, at one point I wanted to lease my schoolmaster out - I was willing to trade riding a talented green horse. Each party to pay own expenses (green horse was cheaper, no back shoes, no grain, no glucosamine maintenance). The deal depended on me trusting the rider, the rider taking lessons from my coach, and me feeling that I was "giving back" since our coach was the one above with the schoolmaster I'd ridden years before.