PDA

View Full Version : Grad School in Newfoundland

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ok, Just because it's off topic day and this'll be fun!

Why not ask a complete bunch of strangers a totally random question.

Should I apply for grad school in Newfoundland? They have the exact degree that I want, and seem to have lots of financial aid available for it.

Downside... um.. I've lived in the desert for the past 11 years where a heavy snow is less than one inch and it snows at 50F. (surrounded by mountains)

So.... whadda ya'll think? :-D

RedRazzle
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
EVERYONE should have the pleasure of living in Newfoundland for at least a short time in their lives! You don't go for the climate, you go for the atmosphere!

Bring sweaters.

Wellspotted
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
As long as you go for a double minor in Landseer and Labrador, you should be OK!

Tha Ridge
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:45 PM
For what type of degree? I think that would impact my decision quite a bit.

As a fellow grad school applicant, one thing I've considered when choosing where to apply: could I potentially find a job/see myself living and working in this city?

RedRazzle
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
For what type of degree? I think that would impact my decision quite a bit.

As a fellow grad school applicant, one thing I've considered when choosing where to apply: could I potentially find a job/see myself living and working in this city?

As far as I know, Newfoundland is booming, and currently doesn't have enough young people around since they're all away working elsewhere in the country. The opportunities are probably there...but I'm curious about why you would necessarily want to live where you have studied? I guess it could be important if it's an esoteric academic discipline with few faculties around, but for a professional degree, probably not. The OP didn't say which one it was :)

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
Heh... the atmosphere seems to be one of the positives.

It is a rather esoteric degree I suppose. *shrug* It's ethnomusicology that I'm looking into. And since I"m interested in music from the British Isles and immigration. It seems to be a good fit. ;-p

As for living/working I think what Tha Ridge is saying, is that it's going to be a few years of your life and you should at least be happy with the area while you're there, since there's more to life than school. (at least that's how I took it!)

I would love a double major in Labrador and Landseer, but I think I already have one in Pembroke welsh corgi! :-D

Wellspotted
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
I would love a double major in Labrador and Landseer, but I think I already have one in Pembroke welsh corgi! :-D

:winkgrin: :winkgrin:

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:12 PM
Oh God, I just realized! The CORGIS!!!

Would I need to get them platform snowshoes? Are there snowplow attachments for low-rider dogs!

ACK!!!

Bailey the corgi looking confused by Vegas snow.

(should work for everyone)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31619351&l=ed494141da&id=23706520

Wellspotted
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
I love Bailey! And his turnout!

I don't know about the snowshoes, but if you could adopt a Cardigan, he might have enough of a tail to keep the Pembrokes' hind-ends warm.

RedRazzle
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:37 PM
Oh ok propspony, I thought Tha Ridge was talking about *after* graduation.

One of my majors was anthropology, and I got to take an ethnomusicology class at the end of my degree - WAY cool!! Good luck with your grad school applications - I'm only 2 weeks from finishing my MLIS, and I can't wait.

PS, To walk the corgi, you might need to ride a snowblower in front while they follow behind :D

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:46 PM
One automatically receives a snowblower as part of your "Welcome to Canada" packet right?

Or is it a moose?

I *so* can't remember.

Red Razzle, Anthropology? Now, that's pretty cool! One of the things I like about this degree is that it's really entwined with their Folklore department. Now *that* sounds like fun!

(of course, my idea of fun is a bit skewed according to my roommates! :-D)

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
I love Bailey! And his turnout!

I don't know about the snowshoes, but if you could adopt a Cardigan, he might have enough of a tail to keep the Pembrokes' hind-ends warm.

One of the craziest things about living in Austria, was that all of the Pembrokes had TAILS! And they were the cutest tails EVER. They were white tipped like little fox tails.

I kind of wish my kids had tails like that...

Tha Ridge
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:50 PM
Precious corgi, Propspony.

I was talking about after graduation, actually, but I totally understand what Propspony was saying as well. Personally, for grad school, I've chosen cities I would like to live/work in after graduation. For me, there's something to be said about not having to relocate immediately after finishing school.

RedRazzle
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:53 PM
Oh, Folkore is fun too! That department was stuck in with my other major, English - one of the best classes I ever took was folklore based. Of course, how could it not be, with the prof's other speciality being pirate literature! Arrrrr!

And if you move to NL, you will definitely be given MOOSE as a welcoming gift. Probably in the form of stew. Easy to find in any local grocer!

propspony
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
And if you move to NL, you will definitely be given MOOSE as a welcoming gift. Probably in the form of stew. Easy to find in any local grocer!

Or attached to the front of your car I hear. Moose + Foggiest city in Canada = Fun....

PhoenixFarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:59 PM
I have a young horse here we're keeping for his Mom who is in vet school in Newfoundland (or insert some other small, desolate Canadian island--can't quite remember what she said).

She is a CA native, though from the north so not quite a desert person, but anyway, she's loving it. She decided on it because they offered the specialties she was interested in, and they had a lot of incentives to make it a very affordable option. She got in to the vet school at Davis, but figured when all was said and done she'd come out five to six figures ahead on loans by choosing Newfoundland.

Anyway, she loves it. She says it's cold and gray in the winter, but still beautiful in it's own way, and she's so busy with the school the isolation doesn't bother her. In fact, she thinks she's doing better because of it. The spring is beautiful and they have everything set up so you don't have to go outside much when it's really bad weather.

Hope that helps!

RedRazzle
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:10 PM
ya, you have to be careful about driving from dusk all the way until the sun is fully up, the meese are not shy about crossing roads at night, and all the twists and turns means you have to have your wits about you - or a big truck with a good pipe-metal grille on the front.

Pheonix Farm, you must be thinking of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland doesn't have a vet school. PEI is just gorgeous - lucky girl!

FalseImpression
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:26 AM
Yes, the vet school is in Charlottetown, PEI, lovely island .... NFLD is much harsher, but the people are very welcoming! sometimes hard to understand!

Chief2
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:47 AM
While conventional wisdom amongst musicians is to live where the action is, if it is a perfect fit and you are looking at a 2 year Masters degree program, I say go for it. If you are looking at continuing on for a Ph.D. program, then maybe not.

nightsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
If all you're going for is school, not part-time jobs, socialization, or actual ethnic groups to study, go for it.

RedRazzle
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:24 AM
...errrr, colour me confused, but Atlantic Canada produces a lot of musicians (folk, pop/rock, and indie), mostly descended from immigrants from the British Isles, so presumably propspony will have lots to study. And to say that you won't be able to socialize in Newfoundland is, bluntly, laughable.

everlast
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
My opinion may be somewhat biased, but as a native of Newfoundland, I can honestly say that most CFA's (Come From Away's) throughly enjoy their stay in NL and many have chosen to stay!

Newfoundland is known for it's hospitality and outdoor life. St. John's, where the university is located, has a booming night life and access to all the amenities you would need. We do have quite harsh winters... but it adds to the beauty and it's taken in stride. You will often see people snowboarding down normally busy streets in the heart of downtown on a snow day.

The horsey scene, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired. Difficulties growing good quality hay, poor access to qualified large animal vets/farriers/coaches, and soundness issues due to the fact that the island is essentially a ROCK (rock picking from pastures becomes a daily chore... we grow them) make horse ownership quite stressful.

If you are seriously considering MUN, feel free to PM me for more details!

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:17 AM
I just finished a master's in a happenin' city with plenty of other things to do (little of which I had time for due to work + school) and am now saddled with $60k in student loans.

You mentioned "lots of financial aid?" Go for it, gurl. :winkgrin:

propspony
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:58 AM
RedRazzle = That's exactly why I'm looking into that area! Atlantic Canada has so much pride in their musical heritage that there has been lots of preservation work and a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeably people. Cape Breton, St. John's...

(Hey! Maybe I'll even FINALLY get to go to the Halifax busker festival! That would be awesome!)

While I am a bit worried about the isolation aspect, I love snow and I love fog. (I'm a bit of a geek that way) Now the rain, wind and freezing temps, not so much but I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Besides, then I find pictures like this and I think: "Why not?"

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu217/rrosenth/stjohns.jpg

Everlast I will definitely write you! (Do you have facebook or anything?) I would love to chat with someone that has lived there! I can't even begin to imagine how to get the pony there. I mean between border crossings and ferry rides, I have the feeling that Nationwide doesn't exactly have weekly West Coast - Newfoundland routes. LOL!

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:22 PM
Go for it girl! They are wonderful people and a beautiful place. I actually ended up meeting a group from the uni on my way to Singapore. They were heading to singapore for some world entreprenuership /small business competition.. which they won! hehe sounded like they had raised over 2 million dollars as part of their project.

Music is definitly huge down there!

P.

ps. yes the moose is part of the welcome package along with the icebergs!

RedRazzle
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
Halifax Busker Festival = PURE GOLD!

midnightdream
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
I adore Newfoundland and have a roommate from there. Great province, great people, lots of fun. But have you also considered Nova Scotia? Not sure if Dalhousie has the program or not. I lived there for 4 years and had a blast.

FalseImpression
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
Is this a "reverse invasion" thread?
Lots of financial aid for non resident students? I have never heard of that! They usually have to pay way more than resident students and by residents, they mean same province, then other countries.

RedRazzle
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:28 PM
FalseImpression, maybe it depends on the programme, I'm not sure - but there's an American in my Master's programme who said that even with the tuition difference it's a lot cheaper to be here for her degree.

propspony
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:30 PM
Is this a "reverse invasion" thread?
Lots of financial aid for non resident students? I have never heard of that! They usually have to pay way more than resident students and by residents, they mean same province, then other countries.

Well, I have to check into that more closely, but it does seem as if there is a bit set aside for grad students, and it's still seems to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a private US university for sure! (but that is one of the things I would have to research more0

:-)

Jolie_
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:39 PM

Thats what I thought too. Honestly I live in the maritimes (NS), parents from PEI and love it but it definitly takes adjusting. I lived with 5 people during university from the caribbeans and they all FROZE during the winter and thank gooodness they came from wealthier backgrounds as they took taxi's everywhere (and I mean from the house to the campus which was only 8min walk away). And while scenary is beautiful that is what vacations are for. As well not sure about NFLD but shopping and entertainment are very limited which is why you see people excited about buskers, which while okay is a one day, once a year is enough kinda thing.

That's just my honest opinion, but if it is cheaper than maybe it would make it all worth while.