PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Question

vineyridge
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
My back is crunching when it moves a certain way. I wake up stiff and sore in the morning, then loosen up. I've been sleeping on a heating pad, but it gets lost in the bed.

Today I went to Wally World (my only option) and bought a 4" mattress topper with 2" of regular foam and two inches of memory foam. Then I bought a heated mattress pad. Now I'm having serious questions about whether the two will work together. If the memory foam is heat activated, what will happen when a heated mattress pad is put on top of it?

Any thoughts?

mjrtango93
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:27 PM
I would think the heated mattress pad won't get as hot as to activate the memory foam more then you would want. But honestly have no idea, but that's my thought on the matter.

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, the memory foam pad will actually work better when warmed up. The problem with memory foam pads and mattresses is that they only conform to your body *after* your body warms it up. However, every time you roll when you sleep the mattress has to reheat and reform to that position and meanwhile it's uncomfortable. I ditched a mattress because of that. (arthritic shoulders, can't have lumpy or hard bedding)
The heated mattress pads are heavenly! You'll feel the difference, I have one and wouldn't give it up for a million bucks.
I've been wanting to try the Sleep Number beds...but the cost keeps putting me off. And not sure if I can use it with my current bed frame. (head board, foot board and side boards)
But you will find the memory foam pad should work nicely if it stays heated. :D

jnel
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
I got my Sleep Number bed about seven years ago as a last resort to get a painless sleep. Over time my inner spring mattress put pressure on my arthritic hips and back and I was in horrible pain. After trying a number of things I told my husband that we had to try a Sleep Number bed. We just got the bottom line model and I put a memory foam topper on it. The results were immediate, I had no more hip pain. Now after seven years I still go to bed thinking this is the best bed ever. For me it was well worth it.

You can use a Sleep Number bed with your existing bed if you purchase some sort hard foundation to go under the mattress. They will sell you a plastic foundation ($200) but I don't recommend it. Ours broke and I'm looking to replace it.

deltawave
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:00 PM
I am pretty much able to sleep anywhere and am not much for needing little physical luxuries, but OH MY GOD I love my Tempur-pedic mattress. It is like a little sigh of pleasure every night when I climb in, and it hasn't changed in 3 years--bliss.

Give it a try with and without the foam--decide which suits you better. Heating pads I don't care for in bed, other than having warm feet. A lot of people complain that the memory foam mattresses are hot, but I've never felt that was a problem for me. Yeah, I like a cozy warm bed, but I also like having a cool spot to move into if I get too warm. :)

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:08 PM
The results were immediate, I had no more hip pain. Now after seven years I still go to bed thinking this is the best bed ever. For me it was well worth it.

Really? I'm guessing then that you're a side sleeper too? It took me years to learn how to fall asleep on my back to take the pressure off my shoulders, but soon after I fall asleep I roll onto a side and then wake up not long after in serious pain. By morning from laying on my sides when I sleep both arms are semi-numb and then the shoulders hurt like hell on and off all day. What number do you sleep on? On the soft side? I may break down and go buy one...right now I'm in a soft sided waterbed (looks like a regular mattress but has water tubes in it) but it's far from optimum.

Delta...same here...have to roll to a cool spot at night. I didn't feel it get too hot either, but it took too long to reconform to my shape if I moved. Did yoou know the Temperpedic can freeze? My sister bought one before me and had it delivered and put in her garage until her new bed got there. It was winter and it froze like a block of ice! It was funny as heck...I went over her house and she showed me the mattress so I flopped on it to see how it felt and almost knocked myself out! :lol:

rideagoldenpony
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:21 PM
Taking fish oil can help those achy bits. My mom swears by it!

Noctis
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
I LOVE my heated mattress pad, I am a belly sleeper with a BAD old back injury, and when I tried tempur-pedic beds they actually made it a lot worse. Regular memory foam too *sigh* Guess my wallet was happy though! But the heated pad...WONDERFUL. Cuddled up on it now actually!

MistyBlue
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah, surprisingly the heat does make a huge difference. I didn't like it at first since I was getting a tad too overheated when trying to sleep. So sometimes I turn off the heated mattress pad and just use a smaller heating lad large enough for my shoulders/upper back. (I'm in those hot flash years, LOL)
But it does loosen everything up a whole lot for me. If I'm having a really bad pain day all day I'll use the Thermacare heat pads...massive improvement with those! :yes: Not comfy to sleep on though since they have hard little heating things in them. Feels like laying on marbles.
My GP just recently told me to start taking a vitamin D supplement; she said that may help with the arthritis discomfort because I tested deficient in vitamin D and that can cause body pain for some people. However I have absolutely no idea how I ended up low in D since I'm outside all day every day in sunlight, am physical all day lone and work out regularly, I adore dairy products especially milk AND if my skin were any lighter in color I'd be translucent. :confused:

jnel
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
Really? I'm guessing then that you're a side sleeper too?It took me years to learn how to fall asleep on my back to take the pressure off my shoulders, but soon after I fall asleep I roll onto a side and then wake up not long after in serious pain. By morning from laying on my sides when I sleep both arms are semi-numb and then the shoulders hurt like hell on and off all day. What number do you sleep on?

I am a side sleeper, I absolutely can not sleep on my back. My arms used to go numb too and I have a few tricks that can prevent that. I use a body pillow so I don't roll too far on my side. I prop a leg and arm on the pillow, this stops your arm from closing too much. No more numbness! I have a rotator cuff injury and being able to support my arm at night with the pillow has lessened the pain. I got the cheaper bed so my remote doesn't have the numbers on it. You just inflate the mattress to where it feels comfortable and adjust up or down from there. Once set I usually don't change my mattress firmness, I like it soft but supportive. Every once and awhile I'll puff a little air in if I think its gotten too soft.