PDA

View Full Version : Who else is celebrating "Buy Nothing Day"?

Perfect Pony
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
I celebrate every year!

https://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd

I celebrate by being a person and not a "consumer"

Rackonteur
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
An interesting idea, Perfect Pony, and one I admit I've never considered before.

I just stay home, or at least far away from malls and Wal-Marts.

My main gripe with calling the day after Thanksgiving Day "Black Friday" is that it's just plain confusing--to me, Black Friday was October 29, 1929. "Black Friday" is a scary, depressing term to me, and I have no idea why people have started using that term for the day after Thanksgiving Day.

Antaeus
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
I avoid shopping the day after Thanksgiving like the plague.
However, I will be out of dog/cat food by then so this year will need to make a trip to the feed store.

Chief2
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:07 PM
I hate crowds. Friday is for spending the day at the barn with my horse. :)

gettingbettereveryday
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:31 PM
I never shop on the day after Thanksgiving on principle alone. Consumerism has wrecked America on so many levels, and I don't want to take part in it.

That said, this year I might drop in to my local tack shop and get a collapsible saddle rack. But that has nothing to do with after-Thanksgiving mania and everything to do with I'm tired of setting my expensive saddle on the ground and wrestling it out of its saddle bag. :-)

red squirrel ridge
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
I can't think of anything at malls, department stores etc. that I need badly enough to put up will all the nonsense of "Black Friday". America's definitions of "needs and wants" are so badly out of whack its pathetic. I suppose if you are someone who enjoys shopping it would basically be your super bowl, but the whole idea of getting up at 4am to wrestle people for junk that you probably don't even need is ridiculous to me. I will be spending time with my family, friends and animals.

Leather
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:56 PM
My main gripe with calling the day after Thanksgiving Day "Black Friday" is that it's just plain confusing--to me, Black Friday was October 29, 1929. "Black Friday" is a scary, depressing term to me, and I have no idea why people have started using that term for the day after Thanksgiving Day.

October 29, 1929 was Black Tuesday. ;)

Here's a theory on the origin of the term:

The earliest uses of "Black Friday" to mean the day after Thanksgiving come from or reference Philadelphia and refer to the heavy traffic on that day...Many merchants objected to the use of a negative term to refer to one of the most important shopping days in the year.By the early 1980s, an alternative theory began to be circulated: that retailers traditionally operated at a financial loss for most of the year (January through November) and made their profit during the holiday season, beginning on the day after Thanksgiving. When this would be recorded in the financial records, once-common accounting practices would use red ink to show negative amounts and black ink to show positive amounts. Black Friday, under this theory, is the beginning of the period where retailers would no longer have losses (the red) and instead take in the year's profits (the black).

I will stay far far away from any retail establishment on Friday.

tidy rabbit
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:58 PM
I try my best to be a non-consumer. I really don't see the need to buy junk and gift it as gifts to people who devalue it even more than I do. Cash is the best gift of all, if you must gift.

This year though, I am going to try to learn to make bracelets from horse tail hair to give to my mom and my niece at Xmas. I guess I better get started!!!

jn4jenny
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not shopping on Black Friday, but has nothing to do with anti-consumerism. I just don't find the Black Friday prices very compelling. If you know how to shop, you can get that kind of pricing any day of the year. Do it in the comfort of my home with Slickdeals.net or lose sleep, fight crowds, and sit in traffic? I'll take the former, thanks.

mroades
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:18 PM
[quote=gettingbettereveryday;4519550]I never shop on the day after Thanksgiving on principle alone. Consumerism has wrecked America on so many levels, and I don't want to take part in it.

What gbed said....

nuts4cowboybutts
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:19 PM
Black Friday is a perfectly MISERABLE day to go shopping. Too crowded, no place to park, people get cranky, lines are long, merchandise gets all messed up in the stores.

I agree. It is a great day to be with your horses.:winkgrin:

shawneeAcres
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:21 PM
There IS one thing I have to go buy on Friday (well two actually) Feed (of course) and I have to go to TS cause they have my bedding on sale, $1 off per bag, I cannot pass that up! But if not for that I wouldn't go NEAR a store!!

Heinz 57
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
I rarely shop on Black Friday because, well... its the end of the month and I've already spent extra money on food, gas, and other Thanksgiving necessities.

If the industry really wanted me to spend, they'd move Black Friday to the first Friday in December, after I've gotten paid.

As far as buying/fighting for junk? I don't gift people with 'junk'. If you get a present, it's something I've put some thought into and is more than likely somethig you've mentioned along the way. Default? You get cookies, candy, and probably a loaf of bread (all of which were baked in my kitchen!).

strawberry roan
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
No how no way will I go out on Friday!!

winfieldfarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:25 PM
I like to shop for holiday gifts for my friends and family. Take great pride in finding special little somethings perfect for each gift receiver. I need my time to browse, comparison shop, and generally enjoy the process. Black Friday is not that day. Way too crowded to be fun. I don't even know what I want to shop for this early in the season.

Besides, I will still be in my food coma from Thursday.

birdsong
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have spent the past 12 years patrolling malls on Black Friday. When you see the hysteria and insanity it really turns you off to the entire concept of buying presents to exchange!! You begin to understand that so many have forgotten (or never knew) what Christmas should be about.

So I don't any longer.

Bayou Roux
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:20 PM
Definitely not shopping, on principle alone!

Pocket Pony
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:24 PM
OMG, I saw an Old Navy commercial the other day that said, "Stores open at 3 a.m." WTF??!! Who on earth is going shopping at 3 a.m.? Do you really make enough money between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. to justify your operating expenses? REALLY? It is disgusting.

A few years ago I instituted a "NO GIFT" policy for the holidays and my family and I love it. I hate shopping for someone because it is a holiday and you are supposed to give them something. If I see something that I think someone will like, I will get it for them and give it to them just 'cause.

Ok, no holiday shopping except for PePo - I got her a good gift this year and I hope she likes it! ;):D

saultgirl
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
Nope, I'm not celebrating "Buy Nothing Day". If I need to go out to pick up something, I will, but I'm not trying to make a point either way....

...although I will admit the store around here started some wild sales last weekend and I bought a new flat screen tv...

sickofcollege
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
I refuse to participate in the madness. We're having a NO gifts year for my family and my friends. 1) I don't need anymore stuff, 2) I spend enough money and that's stopping, 3) I'd prefer to donate the money to a good cause.

One thing we do is this program (can't remember the name) where you pay X amount which buys animals people in other countries can use to sell eggs, sell milk, wool, etc. It's really neat. Prices range from $25 to $10,000.

Perfect Pony
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:05 AM
Ok, no holiday shopping except for PePo - I got her a good gift this year and I hope she likes it! ;):D

awww...thanks PoPo, you know, I just realized that the only people I am shopping for a Christmas present for is you and my secret santa!! I'm not even buying anything for Kevin..

vineyridge
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:44 AM
Alas, I have to shop on Friday. I'm going to get my truck serviced and buy two new tires.

Otherwise I would stay on my hill, far from town.

DancingQueen
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:04 AM
If there was a particular item I wanted or needed badly and it was a super amazing deal I would battle the crowds. It hasn't happened yet!

I did go early for the Beval sale one year and I got a bunch of stuff for a good price but most things in the store that was heavily marked down was brought out for the sale and still there a week later. The things I really wanted was excluded of course. :-(

Now if there was a 50% off a Butet sale I would for sure camp out all night and possibly buy one even if it was a size too small or big! :-D

ThreeFigs
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:06 AM
I hate crowds and didn't even want to go the the grocery store this evening on my way home from the barn, but was out of milk. Had to go, so I picked the most unpopular grocery store. It was late, so not too bad.

I hate, hate, hate "Black Friday". I will avoid shopping trips like the plague till some time next week.

dalpal
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
OMG, I saw an Old Navy commercial the other day that said, "Stores open at 3 a.m." WTF??!! Who on earth is going shopping at 3 a.m.? Do you really make enough money between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. to justify your operating expenses? REALLY? It is disgusting.

A few years ago I instituted a "NO GIFT" policy for the holidays and my family and I love it. I hate shopping for someone because it is a holiday and you are supposed to give them something. If I see something that I think someone will like, I will get it for them and give it to them just 'cause.

Oh someone will. A few years back, my mother in law and her sister couldn't wait to get out the door to hit some outlet mall's big 12am opening..they were going to shop all night. They couldn't understand why any "girl" (me) would not want to go do this.

I personall will pursue the online tack shop sales....probably won't buy anything/don't need anything.....wouldn't go within a mile of a mall....but then again, I can't remember the last time I went shopping in a mall. I'm an online kind of gal. :yes:

Sithly
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:22 AM
One of my friends celebrates Hmong New Year by not spending money for three days. She says it's supposed to bring you good luck with money in the new year.

IMO, that is a good tradition. :cool:

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:27 AM
ME!

For the first time in 20 odd years I am NOT going shopping tomorrow! :yes:

gieriscm
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:33 AM
There IS one thing I have to go buy on Friday (well two actually) Feed (of course) and I have to go to TS cause they have my bedding on sale, $1 off per bag, I cannot pass that up! But if not for that I wouldn't go NEAR a store!!

I saw that in their circular. TSC also has water softener salt on sale this weekend, so I'm going.

The hubby is getting up at 0300 tomorrow morning to go deer hunting. He said it's safer out there than at the mall. :lol:

threedogpack
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
1. I hate to shop

2. I hate crowds (in fact, have banned myself from WalMart before 11pm and after 7am due to the # of people there ..."shopping")

3. there is nothing in any of the stores worth fighting another person over and I am far far too impatient to stand in line that long.

4. It would probably cost me more than what I would save cuz with my luck, I'd be rear-ended by Sum Dude with no insurance.

5. I'm not a collector...I'm trying to get RID of my extra stuff (thanks FlyLady)

Thanks but no thanks.

birdsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:40 AM
People set up tents and began to camp out Wednesday night! The city has supplied porta-johns even.
There will be a DJ tonight for their entertainment

Can you believe it??.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
There are honestly very few true "deals" out there. Last year I paid careful attention and there were mostly marketing gimmicks, not real deals. Shopping on Black Friday is a waste of time and energy for me. I do most of my shopping online anyways...I hate shopping...

lindasp62
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:57 AM
My annual holiday tradition? Avoid the malls & stores between Thanksgiving and New Years (tack shops the exception of course! ) :winkgrin:

wendy
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
I didn't know I was "celebrating", but shopping on Black Friday? never. Black friday is pretty much a "better stay home" day- the hunters are out shooting each other in the woods and the shoppers are out fighting each other in the malls.

LaurieB
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
One thing we do is this program (can't remember the name) where you pay X amount which buys animals people in other countries can use to sell eggs, sell milk, wool, etc. It's really neat. Prices range from $25 to $10,000.

I believe you're thinking of Heifer International and I agree, it's a great cause. I love browsing through the catalogue deciding whether to donate sheep or goats or cows. :D

sickofcollege
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:09 PM
I believe you're thinking of Heifer International and I agree, it's a great cause. I love browsing through the catalogue deciding whether to donate sheep or goats or cows. :D

YES!!! :yes: That's it! I love giving gifts through Heifer International.