PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving...count your blessings...

BuddyRoo
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:04 PM
There's always "more"....more that we want, more that we need, etc....

But what are you thankful for today?

Me?

I have wonderful friends and family.

My horses are well cared for.

It has been a very difficult year with a lot of tough choices to be made, but I am thankful that I think I chose correctly in most cases.

I am thankful that when I wake up tomorrow and head for the barn, my head will be clear because as I reflect back on the last 12 mos, there has been more good than bad, more happy than sad, and more blessings than I can count.

Happy Thanksgiving!

FlashGordon
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:16 PM
Agree BR...

Hubby and I have had a lot of challenges right from the start, but 2008 was the roughest year ever for many reasons. And it taught me to really appreciate the very small, good things in life.

Thankfully 2009 brought a turn around for us. An unexpected job change for my husband, an unexpected return to my old advertising job for me, and an unexpected pregnancy-- all positive surprises. Our 3 year old daughter is bright, healthy and happy. The old grey horse has defied the odds once again by bouncing back from a rough summer.

I'm utterly thankful for my kind and supportive family and friends, my sweet daughter, the baby-to-be that is currently sitting on my bladder (lol), and my dear amazing husband.

Life is good. ;)

Wellspotted
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:41 PM
I am thankful that Blaze is back in my life (and that I'm back in his!) This time last year I didn't have him, but now we are together again.

I am thankful for my friends, here on COTH and here at home, horsy friends and nonhorsy friends.

I am thankful I don't have to get out and drive on the interstate tomorrow to put in an appearance at some distant dinner.

I am thankful for my kitties--house cat, barn cats, yard cats, et al.!

Thanks, BuddyRoo, for the opportunity to post these!

Woodsperson
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Both kids are happy, healthy and doing great in school.

All 4 horses are healthy-knock on wood.

Work is good

The puppy has stopped eating the living room furniture-thank you McNasty

SarEQ
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
I live on a Caribbean island.

My husband, who studies so hard every day to become a doctor.

My 17 year old cripple, who was supposed to be dead two years ago, is sound enough to buck and gallop around the paddock.

My 30 year old horse is fat, happy, and healthy going into this winter.

I live on a Caribbean island... and it was 87 degrees today and I took my dog to play on the beach.

slpeders
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:35 PM
I've been wanting to start this on the whiteboard at the barn, but got lazy...so thanks BuddyRoo!

I am giving thanks for employment, health, family, friends, and of course, horses!
My son's family is doing well, which always strikes me as a small miracle when I consider that they started out at 18. I have two healthy happy grandkids, one of each. :)
My 'unofficial' husband is a good guy and snuggles with the cat when he thinks I'm not looking and worries about me but rarely lets me know that. I guess after 20-some years he figures it doesn't need to be said, I should just know it. :)
My dad and siblings are happy in their lives.
My new not-gray mare has been clearly getting some lessons from the now-angel gray mare on how to behave and I am well and truly smitten with her. We had the most lovely ride last night and I think she is finally willing to admit that I may be teachable after all. I no longer feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when we're together. :) For part of that, I thank Liz at TheraCellEQ and Jane Savoie. :) :) It's certainly not my outstanding horse whispering skills, but doggedly pursuing the "why" of crazy behavior led to changes, which led to improvement!
I'm thankful for the late, great St Katie, who taught me to listen and still is sometimes seen and felt when I least expect it. Miss you still Windsinger, namaste'!

Noctis
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:35 PM
I'm thankful for two WONDERFUL healthy kids, Shiver starting turnout, a PONY for Christmas (BLESS you RR, BLESS you!), the best family I could ask for, and well...its just great! Its been a rough year, but all the important stuff is ok.

JanM
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am so thankful for all of the people here and in the rest of the world that rescue unwanted and unloved people and animals. It takes a special person to do this day after day.

Frank B
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
Carolyn and I are still here to enjoy it!

Most politicians have gone home for a few days (Hopefully to get an ear-full from their constituents!), greatly reducing the amount of their inane blather on the newscasts.

BoysNightOut
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm thankful for the great year this has turned out to be. I bought a small house on 8.5 acres with my wonderful boyfriend who is building me a barn for my horses, just because he knows it's my dream to have them in my backyard. He supports my crazy riding/horse habit, and loves me even though I come home everyday covered in mud/hay/horse slobber. Lol. I'm so thankful I have him in my life.

I'm thankful for my great friends. Finally at a point in my life where those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. I have friends who don't judge me, and I don't judge them, and we'd do anything for each other. I love them greatly!

I'm thankful for my family, who are always there for me. To have them less than 30 minutes away is wonderful.

I'm thankful for all my animals...they keep me sane. My dogs/cat/fish all provide great companionship. I'm thankful I have the greatest horse in the world. He might not be perfectly sound, nor able to do what I want in my riding career, but he is my best friend who I wouldn't get rid of for anything.

I'm thankful to have a wonderful boarding barn, vet, and farrier who all take wonderful care of my horse and are all super nice to work with. In a world of crazy horse people, that's a godsend.

I'm thankful to have a steady job. Stressful at times, but in this economy, I'm greatful to have it.

:)

HorsesinHaiti
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm thankful that the hospital is still around and functioning, the cat is still around and refusing to install a snooze button, my best friend is still in country, and I have ponies nearby to play auntie to.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm thankful for more things than I could list here but mostly I'm thankful for my family and that we are healthy and able to enjoy another Thanksgiving season together. I'm thankful for my husband and that we've managed to survive our first year of marriage with our crazy families without strangling each other.:lol: I'm thankful that we are both still gainfully employed and that I even have another opportunity for a better job even with the crappy economy. We have a roof over our heads and 4 crazy loveable dogs. My horse turned 20 this year and I'm thankful for the last 13 yrs we've had together and that his health is still good. It's easy to get overwhelmed with negatives in today's world but it's so important to stop and think of how lucky we REALLY are :yes:

Woodland
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:57 PM
Susie :D

magicteetango
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
I am thankful horse...

... My leased out horse returning. We may not be a perfect match under saddle and we've a long road to find what makes him happy, but I love to see him every morning and hear his "food song" when I bring his grain. I missed him every day.

... My retiree. For being such a good sport about being my spare horse. He moved from just a month in his cushy stall to living out in the pasture with the horse above who, for the record, is not his favorite friend! But he does it with grace, nobility, and patience. Although I've only ridden him a few times when he was younger, he's been worth his weight in gold for his pleasant calm demeanor and adaptability. What a lifesaver!

... My princess. I finally have my heart horse, and Casey is just the love of my life. I've seen her less this month since I brought the other two home, but every time I see her she warms my heart and brightens my day.

... The amazing boyfriend who offered up his pasture to me when I needed it, when my horse's lease did not work out. He's deathly allergic to horses, but listens to the stories I tell him, bought the retiree a blanket, and has been so supportive. We are fencing in the other thirteen acres this spring... I am so blessed.

... A great job in a bad economy, coworkers who have become like sisters to me. A lot has changed in my company over the last four years, but I'm starting to see it's all for the better.

... A family who's starting to understand that the horses are part of me, and always will be. I'm blessed to be supported emotionally by them.

... A cheap car that never breaks down, and always gets me where I need to go. Albeit not in style, but we always get there.

buschkn
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:36 AM
I am thankful for all my wonderful friends and family.

I am thankful for my beautiful farm and the many amazing critters in my life. I am also glad I have a good job that can support this endeavor and feed all these mouths.

I am glad to have had a year of growth and learning, and to be discovering how much better life is when I accept that I can only control/change ME, and that I am changing me for the better every day.

I am also ever-grateful for my neighbors who have taken me in like family and who made sure to save me a plate of delicious homemade thanksgiving dinner b/c they knew I worked a 12h shift at the hospital today.

I am proud of myself for being more motivated to ride and train lately, and so glad to have some friends to ride with over the winter now that my indoor is done.

I am thankful that BuddyRoo started this thread so we could all take a minute to remind ourselves of how lucky we are in so many ways.

M.K.Smith
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
2009 has quite frankly been the worst year of my life. In February my husband was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma. We fought it with everything we could, but he lost his battle in July.

Over the last few days I've reflected on what I'm thankful for even in the darkest times.

So, here is the link- http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/

My horses have also been great therapy. To just look at them sometimes can lift my mood.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 27, 2009, 01:19 AM
That's awfully sad - you are too young to have to face that. As we get older
there are bound to be more sadnesses cross our paths. But you are brave too. e-Hugs to you and your son.