PDA

View Full Version : Just a vent about prior owners

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:55 PM
Some of you know that I recently adopted (rescued, really) two Pugs.

Pippin was disgusted at first, but now he likes having playmates.

So when I got them, they were all about "oh, you have to keep in touch and send us updates and YES, we'll help pay for the spay and neuter".

(Yes, they were both intact. :mad:)

So it came time for a vet visit. She couldn't send me any records because her vet died...ummm...ok, but when my dog gets shots, my vet sends the records home with me. Nothing.

Dogs have spay and neuter. Both had tape worms. Both had UTI's. Both needed dental cleaning.

So yeah, I'm in to my vet for $1000. For stuff THEY should have been taking care of when they owned these dogs.

I email and ask for some little contribution.

Yup. You got it. No response. :mad:

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:58 PM
aww poor things.

Any pics of the munchkins?

P.

Santpoort
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:11 PM
SUCKS for you, I hope they do come through but after hearing about what kind of owners they were I highly doubt it. OTOH: LUCKY DOGS to be with you now :D

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
I suspect that there are no vet records because there were no visits. If they came with rabies tags then that was the only shot they did get, if they didn't have tags I bet they didn't have that either.

I adopted my 3 year old dog (guestimated at 3 years old) from the humane society years ago-my dog wasn't neutered, had cruddy teeth that needed cleaning desperately, and was full of hook worms, so the vet guessed that the dog had minimal care all along. I was just happy that he was negative for heartworms. Some people are just owners, not responsible owners. And the fact that he was skinny as a rail and wandering in a city park scrounging for food but had a nice grooming the vet assumes he had an older owner that died or was put in a home and the relatives dumped him on their way out of town. People totally suck sometimes.

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm not a full member of COTH, so I can't post pics.

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
I suspect that there are no vet records because there were no visits. If they came with rabies tags then that was the only shot they did get, if they didn't have tags I bet they didn't have that either.

That's what i thought, but the receptionist at my vet is from their area, and she said yes, a vet did die up there recently, so it may be true.

I adopted my 3 year old dog (guestimated at 3 years old) from the humane society years ago-my dog wasn't neutered, had cruddy teeth that needed cleaning desperately, and was full of hook worms, so the vet guessed that the dog had minimal care all along. I was just happy that he was negative for heartworms. Some people are just owners, not responsible owners. And the fact that he was skinny as a rail and wandering in a city park scrounging for food but had a nice grooming the vet assumes he had an older owner that died or was put in a home and the relatives dumped him on their way out of town. People totally suck sometimes.

Awww...poor thing. I'm so glad you saved him!

Christa P
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm not a full member of COTH, so I can't post pics.

You can get a free, easy to use, photobucket account and then post a link.

Christa

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:07 PM
Giant-don't vet practices usually get sold as an asset after they retire or die? And that would include the records too. Or maybe you can call various local vets there and see if the dogs were their patients, since the former owner may be telling you the name of the wrong vet just to be a pain in the butt. Of course, without her consent the vet can't release the records anyway, or I wonder if any local vet there would know who got the practice and records for the deceased vet?

Yes my dog was a dumpee, but I think he's been happy. It was so funny to see him with my much older female. Ranger would bounce around the yard and Mindy would look at him and then look at me as if to say " what were you thinking? I didn't want a little brother!" One kind of nasty but funny story about him is that he is very scared of thunder and loud noises, when he hears a loud noise he tries to get away from it quickly. Mindy and I were on one couch and Ranger was on the other couch, but he had a bad back fire problem-hideously gassy farts (I don't know what he ate). All of a sudden there's this huge explosive back fire, and I mean world class kaboom, Ranger shoots off the couch and then looks back to see what caused this awful noise. Mindy looked up at me and I swear she was snickering about the silly boy dog trying to outrun himself.