PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick and tired of the Food Police?

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:55 PM
When I looked for the oatmeal cookie recipe, Quaker has replaced BUTTER with some disgusting substance called "transfat-free shortening." Stop policing my food! I make my cookies with butter and fry my eggs in bacon grease.

I haven't bought a box of Nabisco Sugar Wafers for five years, since they took the coconut and palm oil out of the "wafers". They used to be sweet, crunchy cookies and now they're like chewing a piece of cardboard.

Leave my food alone!!

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:00 PM
I can't eat KFC anymore. God, that used to be the BEST chicken. Now it's ick.

McDonald's fries used to be awesome. When they stopped using lard, they started to suck.

Next thing you know, Ben and Jerry's will start using skim milk.

Bluey
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:05 PM
Seems that some with an agenda are getting ahead of the science, if not altering science to suit their goals.

Intellectuals today, not having much else to discuss, are becoming the food police and so much else, as this opinion article tells it, called "faddism":

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Jolley---Fadism--Strikes-Jonathon-Foer---Other-Anti-Ag-Writers/2009-11-09/alpharma_Article.aspx?oid=933172&fid=CN-LATEST_NEWS_&emc=el&m=542689&l=2&v=bac3336c15

I think that, within some of those valid questions, there is a middle ground, where sensible people thread.:)

You go ahead and have your butter in your cookies, just don't eat too many too often and you should be fine.

Cookies were supposed to be a treat, not a main course.:winkgrin:

tabula rashah
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
I would much rather eat the real thing than some chemical look alike. Of course, I'm not the smallest person on earth either- but I think that has much more to do with eating too much of the real thing than not substituting with franken-foods

danceronice
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:15 PM
Irony: Butter doesn't contain trans-fats, they're created from artificially saturated hydrogentated fat. Ie margarines, etc.

There IS a reason to use shortening (ie Crisco) in cookie recipes--butter and shortening produce different results in terms of crunch versus chewy textures because of their different melting points. Persumably a trans-fat free shortening would behave like Crisco (which I think is trans-fat free now). Butter will give you a different texture.

And unless the package says it's suitable for baking don't use margarines. It's just generally not pretty.

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies when they took the butter out of the shortbread Trifoil cookies-how the hell do you make shortbreads without butter?

sk_pacer
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:48 PM
Aaaaaaahhh, yes, the nanny state is progressing nicely.

I noticed that our local buzzard joint....er KFC isn't the same but I attributed that to change of management....but maybe the food police got to them now too.

As far as baking and cooking in general, different fats do make a difference in taste and texture. If I still make pies, I wouldn't dream of making pie crust with anything but lard. I wouldnt dream of making shortbread cookies with margarine or anything but butter, BUT at one point, Kraft had a very good shortbread recipe using margarine but that was years ago - was a whipped shortbread but it doesn't work any more. If one goes back far enough in cookbooks, there are some cookies made with such oddities as goose grease and chicken fat and those recipes do not work with substitutions - you have to render the fat and then do the baking :)

NJRider
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:22 AM
YES!!
I almost got thrown out of Shoneys because they only had Low-Fat dressing on the salad bar....I hate low fat/no fat stuff, it tastes like crap.
Butter Forever!!

Mara
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
I made a lemon cake tonight, with classic buttercream icing and lemon curd filling. Cake, icing, lemon curd and all, it has 15 eggs and 8 sticks of butter!
I had to find the recipe on the web again since I'd lost the printed one I'd worked off of before. I found it with no trouble, but this time it had an addition at the bottom:
"Click here to 'healthy it up'!"

No. It tastes good BECAUSE it has 2 pounds of butter and 15 eggs in it. I don't want to 'healthy it up'. It's a holiday, and I am going to make it the right way.

gieriscm
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
I do not have "margarine" or "transfat-free shortening" in my house. I have real butter and lard. I bake with them year-round. The hubby has noted a huge difference in how food tastes.

Also, give me real butter on my popcorn, not that sprinkle powder stuff or spray stuff at the movie theaters. YUCK!

Coreene
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:57 AM
Roast brussels sprouts in duck confit. That way you are geting a jolly good serving of green veg. ;)

redkat
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:03 AM
I have a potato-leek gratin in the oven made with real butter and heavy cream. Mmmm. :)

It's about MODERATION, people, not making food out of chemicals. Yuck.

nightsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:46 AM
Oh, you're using the wrong brands!!! I looked at a box of Stove Top brand fake stuffing mix (can you tell how I feel about 'real foods'?) that I was given today, and the same substance the O.P. is complaining about is called for in the instructions on the box, but they want you to use only "spread." Not butter, not butter or margarine, not trans-fat-free-or-whatever garbage the O.P. posted, just fake margarine-like stuff. You know, they HAVE to label it "spread" when it doesn't neet the "standards" :no: for margarine...

nadasy
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:09 AM
I love this thread.....I grew up in a household where my mother made 8 loaves of homemade bread every week. She used LARD.....oh the horror....she made puff pastry with REAL butter and Lard and Christmas Pudding with SUET!!

I just remembered, that when I was in Scouts, she would not let us go on overnights, unless she made the Hamburger and Hotdog rolls for the whole group, or the donuts. :yes: Our farm provided the meats most of the time as well.

She was featured in NY Times Sunday Mags many times for her bread and pastry and James Beard was a frequent guest at our home.

None of us were remotely heavy, overweight, large or pleasantly plump. We ate good healthy meals, and were constantly moving about either with the bird dogs, or the horses or winter sports.

My sons are 6'3" and 6'5". They also are not heavy. They were brought up this way, eating healthy without guilt, and living in the UK kept much of the junk food, if not all, out of sight for them. Neither of them drink sodas, but they can eat. They also love to cook and are very athletic. One is still an Int. Snowboarder.

Maybe part of it is genetic, but most of it is just making good choices. I don't want anyone telling me how to cook or what ingredients to use when I do.

While it's not easy to find really good suet for Roly Poly or or my Great Grams Christmas Pudding, I always manage to make some up for the holidays, just to bring back those great memories and smells.

Nothing better, in my mind, than a good roast, Yorkshire Pudding, veggies and a yummy dessert............for the holidays. (Then the necessary 2 1/2 hour dodge ball, football, soccer game in the field). :lol::lol:

cu.at.x
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:16 PM
I haven't bought a box of Nabisco Sugar Wafers for five years, since they took the coconut and palm oil out of the "wafers". They used to be sweet, crunchy cookies and now they're like chewing a piece of cardboard.

Leave my food alone!!

One word: Cheap! That the food industry hides behind the excuse of "healthy" is laughable. Coconut and palm are some of the healthiest oils--albeit not as cheap or shelf stable as hydrogenated veggie oil. Long live butter, coco oil, bacon fat and lard!

tle
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
the fact is that it's not JUST the companies that are changing for the sake of "healthy" or "cheap" or whatever that I'm having a problem with. I also have a HUGE problem with the government telling me what I can and can't eat. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest except that when faced with a company's product, you can always go elsewhere to get what you want. When faced with a government ban on something, that may not always be the case. Ie: don't like Nabisco's wafers? Perhaps another company can make them better... or you can make your own. If the government outlaws things like butter or unpastuerized milk, it's pretty damn hard to get an equivalent alternative!

Overall... yes... STOP policing my food!!

deltawave
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:23 PM
I doubt if the changes are so much to protect our health as to save money.

Nothing wrong with eating butter, etc. if it's done sensibly and in moderation. But 95% of my patients don't know the meaning of "moderation" and I'm sorry, but not one solitary soul on this earth "needs" to eat dessert, fast food, etc. It's a choice, and something we ought to make wisely. A little indulgence now and then is great, but crap food (choose your definition) is way too much of a staple, in general, in our lives.

For those who feel otherwise, let me give you my card. :winkgrin:

Vandy
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
My mom, who has always struggled with her weight, is an excellent cook. One year, she decided to do a "lowfat" Thanksgiving, cooking everything with low-fat ingredients, no butter, no cream, etc. It was TERRIBLE! All the dishes I'd grown up with just weren't the same. As an adult, I feel badly for giving my mom a hard time about it - she was just trying to make a healthier meal - but thank goodness it only happened once! :lol:

I think so much of it has to do with lifestyle in general. My SO hasn't an ounce of fat on his body, because though he eats like a horse, he's extremely active. I am significantly less active, and it shows. But when I was younger and very active, I didn't have to watch what I ate at all.

BasqueMom
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
....tired of not only the food police...there's the size of your tiolet police,the
lightbulb police, the tiolet paper police, the sugar police....it keeps on going....
arrgh!

Go Fish
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:45 PM
While I agree that a constant diet of "fast food" is probably not good for you, I firmly believe that we have become a culture of couch potatoes. Geez...people get in the car to drive to the mailbox.

foggybok
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:05 PM
Margarine shall never cross the threshold of this house!

Dairy products are supposed to have butterfat

As Emeril says "pork fat rules!"

I had the most fabulous meal the other night, a wonderful porterhouse with yorkshire pudding on the side.... But, I also split one steak with my husband, and spent the day outside working around the farm...

The clear downfall in my physical well being was when I gave up clinical work for industry. You can't eat that same way when you have a desk job.... I think that's the biggest probelm with our society today, we have become very sedentary.... especially kids, it's very sad.

Now that we're out on the farm, my husband has taken a new motto "just do it you lazy #%^#!". If he's contemplating the easy way to do something, or avoiding going down below to gather wood.... He's in the best shape he's been in since I met him, and he's eating like a horse...

Me, I'm a little slower to come around because I've still been working....need to get out more....

I hope not be be visiting Delta or one of her collegues any time soon, so more exercise, moderation in diet, but I won't be giving up my butter! (Just had my standard breakfast out here, oatmeal with blackberries and roasted flax seed, very yummy, but I do put a little pad of butter on it and then it's over the edge delicious!)

foggybok
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies when they took the butter out of the shortbread Trifoil cookies-how the hell do you make shortbreads without butter?

That's just wrong!, I stopped buying them when they quit making the Scot-teas.....now those were delicious!

Voldemare
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:23 PM
I asked my daughter to make a batch of Rice Krispie treats and the recipe is no longer on the box. My other daughter chimed in that they did that so the cereal would seem more nutritious. The marshmallow bag had the recipe.

My great grandmother was a farm wife with a husband, 9 sons and countless farmhands to feed. They worked hard all day, ate fresh "real" food and lived to ripe old ages, not a pudgy belly among them.

Mara
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:26 PM
I asked my daughter to make a batch of Rice Krispie treats and the recipe is no longer on the box. My other daughter chimed in that they did that so the cereal would seem more nutritious. The marshmallow bag had the recipe.

My great grandmother was a farm wife with a husband, 9 sons and countless farmhands to feed. They worked hard all day, ate fresh "real" food and lived to ripe old ages, not a pudgy belly among them.

Why bother making Rice Krispie treats when you can just BUY them???:rolleyes: That's why the recipe isn't on the box anymore, I'll bet. How lazy we've gotten. I mean, you can buy FROZEN TOAST now!

deltawave
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:29 PM
But God, Rice Krispy treats are NASTY to make, bleccch. I don't eat them, but my son likes them. I'm danged if I'm stirring up that messy, sticky crap for him to have one in a blue moon. :dead:

greysandbays
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
....tired of not only the food police...there's the size of your tiolet police,the
lightbulb police, the tiolet paper police, the sugar police....it keeps on going....
arrgh!

"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it." - H. L. Mencken

Trixie
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:13 PM
That's why I make a lot of things from scratch.

Most convenience food is way too disgusting with ten tons of salt and ingredients you can't pronounce - butter and herb rice with 4000 ingredients and no butter? Really? I tried Zataran's red beans and rice a few weeks ago and it tasted like sodium (and sadly, it was the LOW SODIUM version). Mr. Trixie and I got a few bags of beans and made it ourselves and we could actually taste the food.

Plus, it's often cheaper to do it right anyway, instead of using a box full of preservatives. I eat extremely cheaply and use primarily real ingredients, with the occasional margarine because I was brought up on it.

FWIW, Mr. Trixie and I are both trim and believe that dessert is, in fact, a necessity. In moderation. :D

Mozart
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
I think it is healther to eat butter from time to time (that there moderation thing) and move your butt than eat the pre-packaged chemical crap that food companies love so much.

OTOH....
My family has been spending a lot of time in nursing homes as we recently had to move my dad to one. As we were touring yet another depressing nursing home filled with confused, physically wrecked people, my brother said "Just imagine...these are life's winners. They survived WW 2, they did not get cancer, die from heart attacks, stroke or car accidents. They win the prize" I'll tell you, at that point in time, the prize did not look that great. :(

deltawave
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
"Just imagine...these are life's winners. They survived WW 2, they did not get cancer, die from heart attacks, stroke or car accidents. They win the prize" I'll tell you, at that point in time, the prize did not look that great.

Very, very true. I'm going to stop taking my cholesterol medication at 75, and may at that point seriously consider smoking! ;)

Ibex
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:12 PM
Very, very true. I'm going to stop taking my cholesterol medication at 75, and may at that point seriously consider smoking! ;)

Agreed!

I grew up in a "everything in moderation/eat your veggies" kind of house. As an adult, I cook, but I admit to a LOT of comfort food, generally homemade. Enough that I was dreading my physical this year (it had been several years since the last one. I know... bad bad bad). Totally clean bill of health, even on the cholesterol counts, which is where my family tends to have issues.

luvmytbs
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:22 PM
Nesquick took the sugar our of their cocoa a couple of years ago. Talk about disgusting.

When Hersheys does the same to their syrup, I am going to have to move.

I don't have to watch my weight and eat all kinds of fat and cholesterol heavy food. It's a chore to shop and search for products that are actually high in calories. :mad:

dalpal
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:31 PM
While I agree that a constant diet of "fast food" is probably not good for you, I firmly believe that we have become a culture of couch potatoes. Geez...people get in the car to drive to the mailbox.

Or golf cart. I have to tell you that I have grown to loathe golf carts.....I'm a big walker, mover...don't even ask me to ride in the golf cart or the mule.....I'm more than happy to WALK and Carry my horses' hay out to the field....I don't need a golf cart or a mule. I know they have their purpose/usefulness...but I have little respect for people who cannot even walk to their car, but instead get in the golf cart and drive themselves to their vehicle. Not kidding. :no:

superpony123
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:05 PM
Or golf cart. I have to tell you that I have grown to loathe golf carts.....I'm a big walker, mover...don't even ask me to ride in the golf cart or the mule.....I'm more than happy to WALK and Carry my horses' hay out to the field....I don't need a golf cart or a mule. I know they have their purpose/usefulness...but I have little respect for people who cannot even walk to their car, but instead get in the golf cart and drive themselves to their vehicle. Not kidding. :no:

my neighbors drive their golf cart up the street to pick their kids up from the bus stop :no: i'm like, SERIOUSLY???? it's really only a 5 minute walk, tops. these kids are in middle and high school. my mom stopped picking me up from the bus when i was 9.

anyone ever seen the "moo mixer" ?? its the most lazy, pathetic thing (read: american thing) ive ever seen. IT STIRS YOUR CHOCOLATE MILK FOR YOU. Really, people? REALLY? i think it probably takes longer to figure out how to fit the glass in properly than to just grab a spoon and stir!

luvmytbs
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
I just had 10 chocolate covered Queen Anne's cherries for desert. Is that bad?????:lol:

sk_pacer
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
I just had 10 chocolate covered Queen Anne's cherries for desert. Is that bad?????:lol:

Somehow, I do not think it is good!!!!:winkgrin:
Maybe we should start a support group? I am hooked on those too.

Mara
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
Somehow, I do not think it is good!!!!:winkgrin:
Maybe we should start a support group? I am hooked on those too.

Well, my weakness is the mini-burritos sold at the QuikTrip. Yep. Gas station food. :eek:

Lisa Cook
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:28 AM
my neighbors drive their golf cart up the street to pick their kids up from the bus stop :no: i'm like, SERIOUSLY???? it's really only a 5 minute walk, tops. these kids are in middle and high school. my mom stopped picking me up from the bus when i was 9.

A few years ago, we had a neighbor who harassed the school district into adding another bus stop in our neighborhood so her kids would not have so far to walk to get to the bus stop. The extra bus stop she wanted was *2 driveways* closer from the existing bus stop. She won. The bus stop was added. Every time I saw that bus pick up a bunch of kids, pull forward 2 driveways and then pick up her kids, I'd just shake my head.

The new bus stop also happened to be closer for my kids, but even though they were in elementary school they thought it was stupid and every morning, they'd walk past the new bus stop to wait at the original one. :lol:

Now they are in middle school/high school and the school district expects these kids to be able to walk further, and they do. The bus stop is 3/4 mile away and they have to be there at 6:30 am. I have to say - every kid in the neighborhood walks to it...I only see parents driving in pouring rain or bitterly cold temps.

vacation1
Nov. 27, 2009, 03:25 AM
I thought for sure this was going to be about the whole 'soda tax' idea. :lol: My feeling is that it's better to eat the real thing than to eat a lousy, lower-(fill in naughty ingredient here) version. Yes, you consume more calories/fat/salt/sugar/etc with 1 cup of real X than with a low calories/fat/salt/sugar/etc version, but human nature typically finds a way to make up the difference. You either eat more of the lousy version or you don't feel 'satisfied' (the reason we're drawn to fat and salt and sweets is that they make us feel good, physically) and you tend to go on to eat something else. Either way, you eat more.

There really is no way to force people to eat healthier and lose weight without controlling their lives to an extent which is generally frowned upon outside the remaining slave-holding neighborhoods of the world. The token effort represented by things like reduced-fat brownies and the proposed tax on junk food - is just hectoring people to no purpose.

Rubyfree
Nov. 27, 2009, 03:56 AM
I'm all for making recipes healthier in creative ways without sacrificing flavor or mouth feel. I have some bitchin' recipes in my repertoire for everything from creamy soups to hamburgers that are just as delicious as 'the real thing' and several thousand zillion times better for you.

That said, I cannot STAND having that mind set shoved down my throat (pun intended).

In protest of the guerilla food-'fixing' tactics, make this. Eat it and give a proverbial finger to those who would take away our god-given right to eat horrible, heart attack inducing deliciousness.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I would go ahead and toss some cheese into the middle of that bad boy, and serve it as a sandwich stuffed between two large flakey biscuits, or possibly a donut sawed in half.

nadasy
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
OMG-that's FAB!! I loved the reader comments LOL

Frank B
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
OMG-that's FAB!! I loved the reader comments LOL

"I am so gonna’ cook up a few dozen of those things and take to the box-social at the mosque this coming Saturday afternoon." :lol: