PDA

View Full Version : Dogs who bark TOO MUCH

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
(My dogs!) Has anyone used an anti-bark collar on a dog? Do they work? How fast does the dog figure out they only spray when the collar is on?

I don't really mind moderate barking, but my big fuzzy beast and small fat corgi have started having earsplitting barking contests at anyone who walks past the house, and the noise is about to shatter the windows. I would only use the collars in the car and when I am in the house.

Any experience or preferences with them?

Pelican Bay
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:42 PM
I too am interested in hearing if anyone has had any luck with the anti barking collars. I have small dogs and most of the collars seem so large....

sisu27
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
I use them. I have the progressive one and use it on both my 90lb Dobe and the 25lb Terrorist. I can't remember the brand....it is the common one found at Petsmart....Safe something or other???

Anyways, it works great, has an off option so your battery will last and fits big and small necks. It is also the only one that my current Dobe even noticed...on a regular e-collar at THE HIGHEST SETTING....he gets an itch and goes on his merry way. Like actually gives a half hearted swipe with his hind leg, looks like he just remembered something and trots off. This collar however has only been on him once or twice and he is now silent!

Sudi's Girl
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
My BO uses one on her Beagle. We LOVE LOVE LOVE it. While he DOES know that it only works when he wears it, it still "works" even after the batteries died. ;)

I don't find it inhumane at all - and I'm SO thankful for it! Especially as it seems like ALL of my riding lesson videos from the barn lately have beagle background noise!

katarine
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
yes -FIL used one on his sheepdog that 'chased' the squirrels in the trees overhead, barking. He actually hung the collar on a well placed tree, so Pete didn't even wear it, but encountered its sound when he went out in the yard. Worked slick.

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:51 PM
I tried the battery operated things and found it ineffective. Then I tried the citronella spray ones-that only worked when it was first refilled. And the bark ender thing that you put on the fence that sends out a high frequency signal when it detects barking doesn't work either. Of course, it might be that my dog was just tougher than the bark controllers.

goeslikestink
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
its down to how you have trained it if you have had it from a puppy
i have had loads of dogs and visiting ones,
i use my bigggest asset which is down to the power of your voice and body langage and how you interact with your dog also if the dogs shut up all day which isnt good its not going to help it not saying you do but just stateing a fact

anyways power of speach cheapest and easiest thing we have
as its free
when a dog brings you slippers you praze it and cuddle it and use your voice often its a higher pitch than normal
when we working dogs or taking them out dog like to be spoken to in the normal way you would to another human ok st that cover normal speaking
and how you use your tones as to ahuman to a human - but you use it to a dog or any animal really
then there the deep and meaning ful tones and pitches of your voice
ie if a dog poohed on the floor you would scould it and ignore the dog
so the dog knows instantly hes done wrong ok

dogs have a high intellegience and high hearing etc
they understand a lot of words - like fetch,seek, lay down sit - heal etc
its hwo you say them and the way you say them
so if you have a barking dog - then
tell it off you dont need a choker you dont need a buzzer collar you need you your voice and your body langage.

EqTrainer
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
Do you think my neighbors would notice if I put one on their dog? :winkgrin:

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
The PetSafe collars (from Petsmart) work. They start off with a beep and a slight static feeling and then escalate to a full blown shock if the dog keeps barking. My dogs got to where they were barking a lot during the day while I was at work (mostly at each other while they were rough housing!!) but I had to do something about it on account of my witchy neighbor. So I bought them the PetSafe collars. It only took a few times before they understood what the collars were and they rarely needed a "reminder".

I've never tried the citronella kinds but I imagine my dogs would laugh at them and keep barking.

Brookes
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
I had a rescue idiot barker that would go non stop for hours! I know because the neighbors were kind enough to fill me in before they shot him!

I used the citronella collar on him and it worked like a charm. It got to the point where I never even turned it on or refilled it. All I had to do was put it on him and silence. I swear by the things!

I have used it on various pups when they get to that 'oh wow I can bark' stage of life. Along with solid training I found it a super tool. When you aren't home to correct the behavior in person it works beautifully. I have never used it on a dog while I was home, there are too many other options for training a barker.

If the dogs are barking while inside and making you nuts, I recommend bringing in a qualified trainer and get some help. A few sessions and I'm sure you would be able to take care of it yourself.

Rubyfree
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
I was all set to buy a citronella collar for our dane, whose fence charging had gotten out of control.

I was responding to his barking with much enthusiasm. One day I had a wake up moment- I thought back to my first dog, who had been a very gleeful barker. I consulted with a behaviorist who told me that she was trying to do her job, and had I ever tried THANKING her for it?

So I did, and she stopped.

The next time Arlo charged the fence, I walked up and planted myself between him and the gate, calmly told him "Thank you, go lay down."

And he did. :)

All I have to do now is say "Thank you, Arlo" and he ends it.

They think they are doing us a service by announcing everyone that walks by. With some dogs, thanking them for doing their perceived jobs is all they want.

LegalEagle
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:10 PM
Do you think my neighbors would notice if I put one on their dog? :winkgrin:

You need one of these (if you don't have a dog of your own): :cool: http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Bark-Control/Ultrasonic/Outdoor-Bark-Control.aspx

Renn/aissance
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:50 PM
My sister just got one for her Corgi, aka He of the Ever-Running Mouth. Granted, the Corg is a good learner, but already his barking has significantly decreased. He let out one good yap tonight, got a little shock, and has had his lips sealed ever since. Silence is golden. :)

Miss Motivation
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:07 PM
I can suggest the citronella collars for Basset Hounds. They really make the dog smell better. Don't do anything for the barking, but the hound-y smell is much... fresher.

(Electronic ones work great, but read the directions carefully.)

jetsmom
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:01 AM
I had success w/the Petsafe Citronella Remote collar. You train them with it (You activate a tone first/then spray. Or there is a "good boy" tone.)

Dog stopped barking in just 3 sprays. No longer wears the collar, but quits barking when I say "That's enough".