PDA

View Full Version : Furniture shopping - HELP!

JenRose
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:39 PM
Our new house is almost complete...HALLELUJAH!!

I am planning to buy some new furniture partly because we have more rooms and need stuff to put in them and it will be nice to start fresh.

By this point I am really tired of picking stuff out. I am so tempted to just order a bunch of my "wish list" stuff from the Pottery Barn catalog and have it delivered and set up. We do not have a PB anywhere near me. I would love to know my fellow COTHers experiences with them and their stuff...good, bad, I want to hear it!

Or if you have other favorite furniture stores, please share!

Our taste is rustic, antiquey, clean, simple. We have 4 inside dogs and are very much messy farm people so everything needs to be durable! ;)

Twigster
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:58 PM
Our PB couch is awesome! I would buy another in a heartbeat. Their customer service has always been decent too.

I do really love the furniture we have from there, but the bedding (while beautiful) was just not of the same quality.

4Martini
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:13 PM
We have a bed and bedside tables from pottery barn that we've had for probably 7-8 years and I still love them and they've held up great.

I get a lot of stuff from overstock.com too though. We have some great barstools from there and have sinks and faucets in our bathrooms from there. It's worth looking to see what they have as you can get some great deals and the shipping is only like $1-3 depending on what deals they have.

Mrs. Smith
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
On a recommendation from my sister's in-laws, I bought all of our baby furniture from Furnitureland South at www.furniturelandsouth.com (http://www.furniturelandsouth.com). I was skeptical - I live in MI and the store is in NC, but it was a flawless transaction.

I didn't initially see anything on their website that I liked, but I called their customer service department and they had lots of furniture that wasn't online. They gave me a great price on heirloom-quality furniture. I went to a local furniture store that carried the same brands and they couldn't compete with the price, even including shipping. When the furniture was delivered, the delivery team set it up for me.

I would definitely shop with them again.

JanM
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
Mrs Smith-I know people that worked with that company too. You actually save money by buying and getting it shipped since when you live out of state you don't pay sales tax on it, and freight is less than sales tax usually. They have a list of companies they deal with on their website and if you know what you want you can always call them and see if they can get it. And don't forget that furniture prices are negotiable, especially when you are buying multiple pieces at once.

My last furniture purchases were through a local, family owned furniture business. They don't have a big store, but they do order from a bunch of suppliers and usually they have something in the store that gives you an idea of the finish or style you want. And the prices are better than the big chains for the same stuff, and they deliver free. They also remember their customers. The other day a friend asked me about furniture prices and told me what another store wanted to charge him for a bed and plain metal frame-$750! And it wasn't even a good brand or a good value. I called down and asked about bed prices, they got the owner on the line, and he told me what their prices were for a nice brand, and when I mentioned that Jack is a Soldier he reminded me they give a Military discount on everything in the store. You don't get personal service like that from the big places-and they deliver free.

sickofcollege
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know anything about Amish furniture? I did a search online and noticed you can have it stained however you'd like. It's just difficult matching styles.

I had a custom bed made (well, still being made). Upholstered headboard with a platform base with four built in drawers. Really nice! And have two mirrored nightstands for that Hollywood glamor look.

http://www.nafurniture.com/catalog/Item.aspx?PartID=Hunter9&CategoryID=9

Won For Fun
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hey Jen! Wait for next month and then go to Burney's on Louisville. They have a tax free month next month and you can save the awful 10% tax we have to pay. I did the 18 months no interest and got 10 pieces for around $5K. Nice, heavy duty stuff too. Good brands, free shipping.

AEM74
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
I love furniture shopping! Check out overstock.com. Lots of neat pieces - large and small - good prices, and FREE shipping right now. Yes, even on furniture! Of course shipping is usually only $2.95 so big whoop, but still... Happy shopping!