PDA

View Full Version : Best dog toys for a chewer?

4Martini
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:35 PM
I want to get a few good toys for my dog this Christmas since we will have a new baby and lots of kids toys around- I want to make sure she's not left out (she has her own toy bin in the living room and seems to have learned that anything in there is fair game- anything else not so much.)

She's a fan of balls and kongs and loves stuffed animals- but mostly just for the fun of de-stuffing them. She's best guess a lab/ wiemeraner mix.

So- what are the best dog toys out there?

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
Kong and a jar of peanut butter. :lol:

Stuffies - hit up goodwill, salvation army and yard sales.

BoysNightOut
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:40 PM
Small Jolly Balls. My dog LOVES hers. Kong also makes tons of different types of toys. My dogs have a Kong frisbee as well.

Kong is the best for chewers. They are the few toys we have (and we have 3 dogs) that don't break down too easy.

Footballs are also great toys.

JenRose
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
My groups really likes Kongs...the regular kind and the Wooba.

My rough and tumble guy looooves his jolly ball on a rope.

I got a ball a few years ago from LL Bean. It is made out of the same rubber as the soles of their Bean boots and has a rope through it. All my dogs love that ball and it has held up like no other! :cool:

sisu27
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:45 PM
I have purchased a zillion different toys over the years....nylabones, kongs, orbis....and the one thing they have loved the most has been a deflated basketball.....never inflated actually. That thing has been through about 5 dogs and is still, despite best efforts, in one piece. It can be chewed, tugged, retrieved....perfect.

Kaleigh007
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:46 PM
I have a lab who chewed up every Kong I ever got him. The only thing he could not destroy was a racquet ball! He still has it 8 yrs later.

Albion
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
My dog loves baseballs (she spends a long time pulling the cover off), but the best 'toys' are just boring old bones - the kind with stuff in the middle keep her occupied for a LONG time.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
My dogs love these (http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=324)!

And they're pretty tough. I have to cut the feet off of them though because one of my dogs insists on chewing them off and eating them :rolleyes: But they can withstand some pretty severe chewing from a rowdy Boston Terrier and my Labs haven't destroyed it either.

The small Jolly balls are a lot of fun too.

curlykarot
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
I really like products from the Orbee-Tuff brand (http://stores.orderfromoliver.com/Categories.bok?category=Toys). Bully Sticks (http://stores.orderfromoliver.com/Categories.bok?category=Treats) are great too - depending on your chewer, can keep them busy for a hour or for days.

trubandloki
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
I have big time chewers (pitbull and rottie) they like:

Kongs
Nylabones
Cuz (link given by SkipHiLad)(in various shapes)

Jolie_
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:03 PM
My dogs love these (http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=324)!

And they're pretty tough. I have to cut the feet off of them though because one of my dogs insists on chewing them off and eating them :rolleyes: But they can withstand some pretty severe chewing from a rowdy Boston Terrier and my Labs haven't destroyed it either.

Agreed. My lab loves his cuz, we forgot it at my parents when visiting and noticed as soon as we got home, and had to go out and get another one, no other toy can handle the distruction that my lab does to his toys, or if they can he normally losses his excitement over them but not the cuz, you walk in the house and he is bringing it to you and everywhere he goes it must go with him (although we had to train him to drop it at the door so doesn't get muddy outside)

BuddyRoo
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Cuz (but I perform "surgery" first and amputate the legs...if they chew 'em off and swallow = obstruction)

Kongs--but I like getting the kong ball because he can't get a good hold on it to chew it to pieces.

Nylabones

That's about all I can give my dog...lab.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:26 PM
Buddy - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has to amputate the Cuz's legs. :lol:

MunchingonHay
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:34 PM
my dog is not a chewer but he LOVES his wiggle giggle ball. It is hard plastic and it has those "throw-up' sticks inside of it and when it rolls it makes the most crazy sound. HE LOVES IT.

And a side note, if the dog does not like it, the baby most likely will !

BuddyRoo
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:41 PM
Buddy - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has to amputate the Cuz's legs. :lol:

When I first started to respond, no one had mentioned that yet. I too was glad to see I wasn't the only one.

One of the dogs on that show...um...the show that's the rescue in Utah? One of their dogs had a Cuz and got obstructed. Since then, the legs come off!

lizathenag
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:42 PM
We found some kevlar toys that the labs love. The black one carries around the last little piece as his security blanket I think.

we are about to spring for some more.

as career change guides, they were only allowed kongs and nylabones (love the dinosaurs). we still have some dinosaur bodies lying around.

TheJenners
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have a Border Collie who was my cowboy boyfriend's failed cattle dog (mega fail, btw). He's friendly but easily cowed, and never had anything other than a pig's ear or random steer knuckle. We're slowly introducing mass-production toys; once he's used to it he loves it. But his first squeaky toy, he nearly broke out the passenger side window trying to get away from it...:lol:

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
Well years ago my aussie enjoyed my running shoes (she ate all but the metal holes for the laces) and a stuffed chair (she ate it all).

My lab enjoyed my victoria secret's push up bras 8 yrs ago.

One aussie chose one of each of my works/dress/heels and left one for me one day when I forgot to close my walk in closet before I went to work. Same aussie along with another aussie puppy chose to eat all the Christmas decorations they could reach on the tree the night before we left Atlanta to go home to Savannah for Xmas. A few reindeer survived with one leg missing on each.

Another aussie along with a mixed breed puppy ate the center out of the back of one couch.

So I guess it is whatever the dog fancies. Or whatever I leave within reach.

cheval convert
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:18 PM
My aussie likes to eviserate (sp?) stuffed animals but we have found the the stuffed animals from the AKC seem to last longer than any others. Some he destroys in minutes (we get rid of the stuffing and leave the "skin" for him to play with) but he has had a few for over a year and not only are they still intact but they still squeak! I've quit trying to figure out what motivates him to disembowel one stuffed animal and be kind to another - he's just an odd little boy.

goodhors
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
My dogs don't like the nylabones. Just ignore them. They do play with some things outside, but seem to prefer sticks.

I have heard of problems with the pig ears, other toys, dogs needing surgery. After a tour during Vet Days at MSU, and seeing ALL THE STUFF taken out of dogs, I refuse to let them have most toys. I will agree with the basketball. However it needs to be inflated for my dogs, or they chew it into pieces. Plastic milk bottles make noise being jumped on, crunched down, but stay together pretty well. Replaced if they start getting torn or pulled apart. Oddly enough, they like the very heavy, plastic pots that shrubs come in, make holes but can't seem to chew them apart. Do like carrying them around the yard.

For just staying busy, I have the best luck with cow bones from the butcher shop. We have a lovely shop that husband passes, stops and gets a bag of bones for the dog. Being leg bones, they are rounded, thick walled, very tasty. Ours are about 2" tall. I have heard of some very narrow jawed dogs getting the lower jaw stuck inside, but my big dog has no problem. Her jaw power is very impressive, so I am really careful about what she is allowed to chew on. She did steal some shoes, other items when a puppy, totally shredded them up, so we had to be quite careful when she was not crated up. Stopped when about 18 months, and now sticks to the bones. Does still pick up shoes left out, but only licks them until sloppy, no chewing.

The Corgi LOVES to chew things. However she can have no fat in diet. She has been quite happy with cow hooves from the pet store and used bones from the big dog with no marrow or fat left on them. She also does a lot of stick chewing outside. Have had not splinters, digestive problems, these are tree sticks she finds. The big dog does enjoy the cow hooves also, takes her a couple days to get that chewed up.

Kongs are also of no interest unless stuffed. But can't have that laying about with the small dog and her no-fat diet.

LegalEagle
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:46 PM
There are all kinds of Kong toys which my dogs love. Also the Tuffies brand toys are really pretty tough!

GGsuperpony
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:19 PM
Two words: Bottle Buddy!

It's stuffed-animal-like, but with a plastic bottle inside for happy scrunchy noises and when he utterly destroys the bottle, you replace it with another one.

My four beagles haven't killed theirs yet! For $5, a good buy.

LCR
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:36 PM
You can't beat the Bully sticks. They are the only chew that lasts more
then it seems a few minutes and the dogs, my two Norwich Terriers love
them. The larger the dog, find the larger variety. Yes they are expensive but
they will last a long time.

IFG
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
Standard Poodle puppy (14 Months) loves the Nylabones, especially the Galileo's. Doesn't much care for the Kongs. Loves the Jolly Ball for outside, but will damage the handle or rope if left to play with it inside

He got the squeaker out of the cuz in ten minutes, but still likes to play with it.

He had destroyed numerous stuffed toys, until we found the fat cat toys. He has had them for months with no damage, so long that they are now disgusting with dog slobber. All the other stuffed animals, even the AKC, were destroyed in a matter of hours.

Here is a link to the Fat Cat site I think they may have them at Petco.

Kobe has the cracklers and the barnyard bullies.

4Martini
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
Our dog's favorite toy that has lasted a year and half now is the planet dog orbee tuff woof ball.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Orbee-Tuff-Woof-Ball/dp/B000E8PCTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1259205051&sr=8-3

I thought it was a lot of $$ for a ball- but she loves it. It's a really odd texture and she can just chew on it for hours! She has removed the woof letters, but the rest of the ball has held up great.

Mara
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
My aussie likes to eviserate (sp?) stuffed animals but we have found the the stuffed animals from the AKC seem to last longer than any others. Some he destroys in minutes (we get rid of the stuffing and leave the "skin" for him to play with) but he has had a few for over a year and not only are they still intact but they still squeak! I've quit trying to figure out what motivates him to disembowel one stuffed animal and be kind to another - he's just an odd little boy.

My two are exactly like this. I can NEVER figure out which toys will be loved and cherished and which are doomed to evisceration before the day is over.

And they are not at all interested in anything hard. It's stuffed or nothing. Right now my Aussie Cattle Dog cross has a couple of little stuffed balls, nothing fancy, that he's crazy about. He's had them for about 3 years and they have survived several trips through the wash.

My hound loses interest once the squeaker quits. The Sherpa Pig and Yak have held up well in that respect, although both are now quadruple amputees.

I'd love to know if anyone knows of a company selling dog toys that are exclusively US made. I'm frankly a bit scared to have my dogs chewing on stuff from China - who knows what might be in them? We do have American made right now, but it's hit or miss when we go toy shopping.

Vivace
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:17 PM
25% off all Kong toys at TSC through the 29th!