PDA

View Full Version : The "What are you having for THanksgiving Dinner" thread

shawneeAcres
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:52 PM
I will start!

baby spinach salad with strawberries and pecans
lamb on the grill
smoked ham from the local Nahunta store (really yummy stuff!)
Squash casserole (my specialty!)
Baby carrots in honey and butter sauce
Mashed taters with gravy
Collard greens
Crowder peas and corn
rolls
Oyster dressing
WHole berry cranberry sauce
sweet potato pie
chocolate/pecan pie
Baily's irish creme cheesecake

I think I got all of it! Lets hear your feast! :D:winkgrin:

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
Whatever SideSaddleRider is making! :lol:

Plus, I'm baking pumpkin and apple pies.

Sonesta
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:58 PM
Totally traditional Southern this year (some years we go non-traditional as with lasagna, etc).

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Pork Roast
Brocolli/Cheese/Rice casserole
Garlic Mashed Potatos
Copper Penny Carrots (cooked with shallots with ginger and brown sugar)
Yams
Green Beal Casserole
Homemade Yeast rolls
Wild rice dressing
Homemade cranberry sauce
Fresh black-eyed peas
Fruit salad
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Strawberry Cake

Smiles
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't have to cook or clean up so this could possibley be the best Thanksgiving ever!!! :yes:

Menu: Turkey, spiral honey ham, stuffing, green bean casseroll, cranberry out of the can of course, broccoli salad, mashed potato's, gravy, biscuits, pumkin pie, cheese cake from the cheese cake factory and whatever else makes it on to the table.

SmartAlex
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
I'm toting in to help Mom. My responsibilities are:

Cranberry/Apple relish
Sweet Potatoes (never made those before)
store bought pumpkin pie.... IMO homemade pumpkin isn't any better than this bakery
real whipped cream

Mom is supposedly marinating the turkey in orange and something else sauce

Oh, and this will be the first time my husband didn't win and make reservations in about 5 years.

Event4Life
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:01 PM
starter:
smoked salmon on crostini with mayonaise & lemon sauce.

main course:
Roast Beef
Roast Potatoes
Yorkshire Puddings
Brussel Sprouts
Parsnips cooked in honey and sugar. mmm.
Carrots cooked in butter. haha, so healthy.

desert:
Yule Log
Alex's Chocolate Rum Cake!
Minced pies

drink:
Andy's Mulled Wine!

Not technically Thanksgiving, but I'm cooking a "Christmas Meal" with a friend for 45 people on the walking trip we're organising this weekend. It will be a combined Thanksgiving/Christmas meal for the Americans among us. Very excited!

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think i'm coming to your guys for supper tomorrow!

Being a canadian, already had mine which was a typical turkey and fixing. With pumpkin pie and saskatoon pie. For appetizers, my little cousins made ants on a log ( celery with peanut butter and raisins on top).

I even had an early US thanksgiving with aunt and uncle which was a smoked salmon peices for appies and then a cooked stuffed salmon for supper.

P.

Indy
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
Unfortunately, the oven in the apartment we just moved into last week is all sorts of crappy (like you set it for a certain temperature and it may or may not reach that temperature ever) and I haven't had time to get maintenance out there to fix the darned thing, so I refuse to cook anything poultry-related. Fortunately, I received a gift card to the Honeybaked Ham Company last year that I never used.

So broken oven + gift card = fully cooked frozen turkey already thawing in my fridge. All I have to do is warm it and we're good to go.

Mashed potatoes & green beans will be done stove-top (thankfully, the stove top functions just fine).

Rolls & a pie to be provided by the lovely people at the local Dutch market, if I manage to get out of work early enough to drive the hour + to get there before it closes (fingers crossed that they still have pies & rolls by time I get there!).

Voila, instant Thanksgiving dinner for new hubby, myself, and my mom. I'm a bit sad about having to buy pies this year, since pies are my thing but I'd rather have a purchased pie than kill one in my oven!

Trixie
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'm making:

Sweet potato casserole
Pecan Chocolate Pie
Brownies
Balsamic Pearl Onions

My dad will be doing the rest - turkey, stuffing, some sort of green, salad, soup, etc. He makes the most fantastic stuffing, and makes it for me outside of the turkey because I'm a vegetarian.

TheOrangeOne
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:16 PM
Indy, we have the same oven I think, and probably the same landlord. :lol: "What? It's hot, isn't it?"

This year instead of blocking the kitchen off as the DMZ and doing the entire dinner myself in some kind of kitchen choreography that should get me a scholarship to Juliard, I am only doing a few things since my mom's boyfriend cooks.

Homemade rolls
Pumpkin Pie with Apple Butter (so good, not a noticeable apple flavor)
Apple Pie

Hmm, that sounds kind of sad. Maybe I'll cook for the dogs too. I'll feel kind of useless with only a couple hours' worth of cooking...

Foxdale Farm
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, we are from Michigan but we live in Oregon. No family to visit, so we're going to a friend's house. But I am bringing my annual specialty: Cornbread Casserole. It's a major HIT everywhere I take it and it's easy, easy, easy! So if you're in a pinch for a great, super easy sidedish that everyone will love, here's the recipe:

1 can regular corn - drained
1 can creamed corn - undrained
1 cup sour cr.
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

If you're making it for a group of at least 4 or more, best to double or triple the recipe, although if you triple it, you will want to use more than one casserole dish b/c it gets really thick and difficult to cook through.

Just mix it all up, spray your casserole dish with Pam and cook it on 350 for about an hour and a half or until it's browned on the outside and a toothpick comes out clean.

Not exactly fine dining or healthy, but everybody loves it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

www.foxdalefarm.us

caradino
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:45 PM
i am the official chopper/table setter/dish washer/chef's assistant :)

we're making:

salad with baby greens and mushrooms
butternut squash/apple soup
turkey
stuffing
spiral ham
creamed spinach
cranberry sauce with apples and oranges
roasted carrots and parsnips
mashed potatoes
gravy
green bean casserole
apple pie
pumpkin pie
mini pumpkin cheesecakes

SOOOO EXCITED! thanksgiving dinner is my FAVORITE meal of the ENTIRE YEAR! :D

KathyR
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
Tomorrow, with friends, I'm making the pumpkin pie, cranberry relish, sweet potato casserole, and taking black olives, crackers and cheese, and merlot. They have ham-which is ok, but, on Friday I'm making turkey with stuffing, with another of each of the above. This is the first Thanksgiving hubby and I have had at home in almost 12 years, so I'm going all out. I inherited a turkey roasting pan from my mother, through her mother. Makes the turkeys on the magazine covers look poor in comparison. And the taste--with the stuffing inside--can I say YUM!

BoysNightOut
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
Turkey
Green Bean Casserole (first time I've ever tried it, so excited!)
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffed mushrooms
Salad
Pumpkin pie

and anything else my parent's end up making...

Then it's dinner #2 on Saturday with my boyfriends family.

I love food. <3 Lol.

KathyR
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:51 PM
POLYDOR, what's a saskatoon pie?

Twigster
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
so far...

turkey
green salad w/ apples and almonds
stuffing
cranberry sauce (still can't make it like mom's, but I'm tryin!)
roasted brussels sprouts
sweet potatoes gratin
home made rolls
mincemeat pie (don't ask, its my grandma's thing...)

but if caradino wanted to send some of those mini-pumpkin cheesecakes to my house, I'd make room on the menu!

caradino
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:10 PM
but if caradino wanted to send some of those mini-pumpkin cheesecakes to my house, I'd make room on the menu!

oh my gosh they are SOOOO good. my little brother had the idea the other night and whipped up a test batch.. i thought i'd died and gone to heaven!

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:45 PM
We go to our friend's house, who is an amazing cook, so all we bring is:

bottle of wine
broccoli casserole

What our friend serves is:
turkey
stuffing
cold green beans vinaigrette
hot green beans with almonds
roasted sweet potatoes
mashed regular potatoes
rolls
and the most incredible pumpkin chiffon thing with homemade whipped cream. I start craving it at the end of October!

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:54 PM
Kathy R- Sorry i forget that saskatoons don't grow everywhere. They are a mainly canadian - north western US berry. Look similar to a blueberry. Maybe almost a cross between a blueberry and a rosehip berry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_alnifolia

They are sooo yummy raw or cooked.

P.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:55 PM
Y'all are making me want to cook and bake. No cooking for me this year, which I kinda miss, since we will be having fried cheese sticks, fried mushrooms, onion blossom, salad/soup, steak (not me), and either crab stuffed tilapia or crab cakes and coconut shrimp (can't decide which I want), or whatever else we decide on at Sam Seltzer's. We're going out for the 2nd year in a row, since my dad died last year just before Thanksgiving. Last year we ended up at IHOP and didn't mind one bit. Maybe next year I will be ready to have the home cooked Thanksgiving again. I do miss the leftovers!

SmartAlex
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
mini pumpkin cheese cakes... mmmmm... recipe please?

relocatedTXjumpr
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:00 PM
We will be dining at Cracker Barrel as we do every year.

EqTrainer
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe I should stop cooking now and plan to visit ShawneeAcres?!!!

Anyway:

-Roastedt Turkey w/shallots and mushrooms
-Stuffing w/pecans and cranberries
-Sweet potato casserole w/pineapple and
toasted marshmallows on top - this is SO whitetrash and SO GOOD, even my kids eat sweet potatoes at thanksgiving...
-Fresh green beans in a sweet/sour sauce
-green salad w/mandarin oranges and a poppy seed dressing-
-mashed potatoes and gravy
-cranberry chutney, one will be mild and one will be HOT HOT HOT!
-apple pie
-apple crisp (peeled too many apples)
-lemon bars
-pumpkin cranberry muffins for breakfast

and then we will all explode.

FlightCheck
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:13 PM
Everyone (in laws, out laws, ex's, friends, grandparents...) gathers at my brother' house.

I contribute
turkey
stuffing (mmm, simmering the vegetables right now)
regular mashed potatoes
garlic mashed potatoes
sweet potatoes
gravy
ham
some kind of dessert (this year it is coconut chocolate pie)

there will also be
pork roast
corn bread stuffing
shoepeg corn
2 kinds of green been casserole (one is yukky non fat)
collard greens
regular salad
potato salad
homemade bananna pudding
and other misc. things

oh, and Guin - love your signature...love that song :)

Bluey
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:17 PM
Turkeys are too big for two, leftovers get old, so we are having a green salad, roasted chicken, potato salad and some coffee ice cream.

Some of you are having veritable feasts!:eek:

Tiffany01
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
Turkey
Mash Potoes
Sweet Potoes
Greenbean Cassarole
CornBake
Cranvberry Sauce
Cranberry Rlish
Veggirs
Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Roll
Apple Walnut Pie

Natalie A
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:26 PM
Going out to dinner with my parents (I put my foot down and refused to do a family-only dinner with just me and them since it always ends up with everyone miserable). We're going to a great fish restaurant, so I ordered sole as my main course. I'm not really a fan of turkey.

Go Fish
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
Chinese food - DH and I hate turkey.

lesson junkie
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:45 PM
We are sharing the day with family and riding buddies. Here's our feast:

Roast turkey and dressing
Rice (sorta pilaf, with lots of sauteed mushrooms, green pepper and onion)
Green beans with country ham
Asparagus
Brussell sprouts
Home made rolls
Assorted salads
Orange date nut cake

We start with bloody marys and champange, with cheese biscuits.

Have a Happy Turkey Day, everybody!

Guin
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
2 kinds of green been casserole (one is yukky non fat)

oh, and Guin - love your signature...love that song :)

:D Check out my "food police" rant about yukky non-fat things!

Woodsperson
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:50 PM
Grilled Turkey
Cornbread Dressing
Green Bean and Shallot casserole
cranberry and Raspberry relish
sour cream mashed potatoes
sweet potato biscuits
pumpkin raisin tart
triple pecan pie
chardonnay

CookiePony
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:27 PM
Token Tofurkey eater here. Yes, I actually like it! :winkgrin:

twofatponies
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
Too much gloppy midwestern food, containing no green vegetables, and guaranteed to be cold by the time we get done taking pictures of it and saying prayers. Sigh. At least I'm not vegan. The turkey's always good. Though it would be better piping hot.

Foxtrot's
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
Makes me hungry although I've no idea what some of the recipes are!

Wayside
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:03 PM
Pumpkin Pie with Apple Butter (so good, not a noticeable apple flavor)

Yum! I'm usually not a big pumpkin pie eater, but someone made one with the apple butter a few years ago, and it was wonderful!

The smoked salmon sounds soo good too. I love salmon, but DH won't eat it, so I never make it anymore <sigh> I should just do it anyhow one of these days, I'm sure the critters would help me finish it :lol:

I'm doing the turkey tomorrow, I use the turkey bags, and put in a couple of quartered lemons, and cover the turkey with a homemade herb-butter paste, so it comes out very moist and flavorful.

Also making twice baked potatos with cheddar, broccoli, and real bacon bits.

My mother is making the deviled eggs, potato rolls, and Waldorf salad.

Linny
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm going to dinner with my Godparents. Last year (at the same club) I had scallops in lobster sauce. I hope it's on the menu again this year. It was great.
Since I have lived in Plymouth MA, home of the original Thanksgiving, I think that seafood is a perfectly acceptable alternative to turkey, which I cannot stand.

Wayside
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
Turkeys are too big for two, leftovers get old, so we are having a green salad, roasted chicken, potato salad and some coffee ice cream.

Some of you are having veritable feasts!:eek:

Yeah, things get more feast-like with DH's family, since there are so many of them. Though this year things are a little smaller, since we're going to my mother's. Still doing the turkey, though since there will be 5 of us, and I actually like turkey leftovers.

Thanksgiving dinner back in the day when it was just my mother and I got interesting sometimes. We did cornish hens a few times, since that made for a much more manageable quantity of meat for two.

One year my mother decided she'd get lobster for the two of us, but they were cheaper live, and she discovered that her huge pot had a hole rusted in the bottom of it. So she used her next largest pot, which wasn't quite large enough for insta-death by boiling water. I can still remember her screaming "DIE, for the love of god just die already!" hysterically while flailing a pot lid at the poor thing.

Then, since my mother worked at the university, for a number of years we'd have any of the students in her department who weren't going home over for the holidays. Pot-luck style, and many of them were international students, so we got to eat all kinds of cool things like sushi and curry.

Bayou Roux
Nov. 26, 2009, 07:15 AM
Now that we have a move-in goal of Memorial Day 2010, this is our last Thanksgiving not at the farm. But since we'll be at the farm all day, putting insulation in the third floor crawl spaces, we're letting Mr. Crockpot do the cooking at home for us.

Roast beef, farm potatoes, carrots, and garlic will await our cold, tired, fiberglass-irritated bodies when we get home.

Not exactly traditional fare, but we think it'll work.

Next year, we host everyone at the farm!

CookiePony
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:23 AM
Fun article on regional differences in Thanksgiving fare: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/26/dining/26search.html

And as an aside: who knew that Kim Severson is a NYT food reporter in addition to being an international eventer? :lol: :winkgrin:

harveyhorses
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:35 AM
NOTHING if I don't stop playing here!!

Turkey (cooked it last night so the oven would be free today)
stuffing
green bean casserole
baked onions in cream sauce
sweet potato casserole (I found my grandmothers recipe!!)
spoon bread
cranberry sauce.

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
I think i may have to plan a road trip next year since all that food sounds amazing!! lol

I mentioned it somewhere else but still think we should do a COTH receipe book.

P.

see u at x
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:40 PM
Chili with lime flavored tortilla chips. Yum.