PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Surprised they Are into Vampires (i.e Twilight / True Blood)?

Janeway
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:49 PM
I confess that despite not being 13 years old, I am in love with the Twilight universe. I only watched the movie this summer because I kept hearing about it, and thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Boy was I surprised - I absolutely loved it!

I then proceded to read all 4 books in about a week...

Following that, I thought I'd give the HBO series True Blood a chance... and loved it even more. I mean hello Alexander Skarsgaard :winkgrin:

Never thought I would be into vampires, but there you go. Anyone else surprised by this sudden interest in pale, dangerous men who only come out after dark?

magicteetango
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Like you, I was surprised that I was into it. But I am obsessed with True Blood, and I can't wait to see New Moon! And yes... Eric's character is certainly drool worthy!

Maybeapril
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes!!! I read any vampire book I can get my hands on! You should read the Sookie Stackhouse books that True Blood is based on. They're fantastic!
I'm reading the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series now. I just can't get enough of the blood suckers :lol:

Dramapony_misty
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:56 PM
I knew I was. Loved Buffy, and then Angel. Later moved on to the Twilight series, and now (on TV) Vampire Diaries. I know I would be a True Blood fan too if I got HBO. I'm waiting until I move in with my finance and get signed up for Netflix. Then it will be True Blood Marathon time! :)

I read the first Twilight book before it became the main craze. I'm not one for crazes (like Harry Potter...just couldn't bring myself to jump on the bandwagon even though I know I would love them), and then subsequently all the books thereafter.

I'm also a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera (Susan Kay novel, Gaston Leroux novel, and broadway show...movie not so much but is good entertainment value), so the whole mysterious dark men thing is nothing new to me :D

MyGiantPony
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:58 PM
I was scarred for life when my one sister used to make me watch Dark Shadows. I was 5, for God's sake.

I HATE vampire stuff.

Smiles
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:04 PM
I love TrueBlood. I can't wait for season 3 to start but I hear it won't start until june. I now can't stand the monster that twilight has become. I read the books thought they were alright. But now its sort of morf into this ugly teenage monster thats way out of control.

QHEventr
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hi! My name is Johanna and I am a 26 yr old Twilightaholic!

Ok, now that is off my chest......

I was VERY surprised that I enjoyed the Twilight saga as much as I do. I had refused to read the books when they came out, and thought my friends were nuts when they raved about the first movie....which I also refused to see....Until I was foal watching one night and Twilight had just come out on PPV so I watched.....The next day I ran out and got all four books, read them all in a week while foal watching, and have read them numerous times. I also saw new moon opening night (12:30 am) and have seen it again since.

I think that the books are so easy to enjoy and to get lost in. It is a classic Romeo and Juliet type love story, and I absolutly get sucked in to Twilight land when I'm reading. My Boyfriend thinks I've lost it when I talk to him about the books like he enjoys them as much as I do.

I was NEVER a Vampire book fan, although I did watch Buffy when it was on TV. But Vampire/super natural books/movies were never my thing....give me good horse book or movie and I was hooked....

I hope Stephanie Meyer knows whats she's done to all of us!

Johanna

Twigster
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm not ashamed to be obsessed with True Blood! I am counting the weeks until they are back with season 3...re reading the books is going to have be enough this winter.

I didn't think I would be in to Twilight either, but after season 1 of TB wrapped up last fall I needed a vampire fix! I think I devoured each book in about a day and a half...Tonight I plan on going to New Moon, and hope I don't see anyone I know...since I am definitely not 13!!!

The DH just shakes his head, and wonders why the obsession...

danceronice
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you love vampires, read Robin McKinley's "Sunshine". I've been into vampire fiction long before Twilight was around (up to and including having taking a class in grad school called Slavic Studies 354: Vampires in Eastern European Folklore and American Popular Culture) and "Sunshine" is the best modern vampire book I have ever read.

I like the Sookie Stackhouse books (read some before there was a show.) I have a kind of limit on them and on the "Vampire Queen" series (Undead and Unwed), though, as they're kind of like cozy mysteries.

I can't get into Twilight. The first one is so badly written, Edward such a complete stalker, and Bella such a self-centered whiner (o, WOE IS ME, boys ask me OUT) I can't get past it. Which is sad, because there are characters like Carlisle and Alice who could be REALLY interesting if they were explored more fully. Meyer has some moments of brilliance (she wrote a paragraph in Twilight somewhere that my friend, who on LJ is "reading Twilight so you don't have to" singled it out as capturing everything she as an Arizonan loves about the desert, while I reading the same paragraph had a choking agoraphobia attack which is EXACTLY how I respond to the desert meaning it's pretty darn effective writing) but she focusing on two of the most awful people as her protagonists.

I don't even think she gets that the point of "Romeo and Juliet" is that everyone involved including the main characters were acting like idiots. And also, that in Wuthering Heights, Cathy and Heathcliff are HORRIBLE AWFUL PEOPLE who destroy themselves and those around them and are not supposed to be sympathized with. Pitied, perhaps, but also censured. And that Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre brings all his suffering on himself and it's only because Jane is an overly good person that she takes him back (and even then he has to get mutilated first.)

tabula rashah
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
Okay, I confess, I am addicted to all things vampire.... LOL!
I was/am a total Buffy freak- and have moved on to include True Blood and Twilight (just started reading a Christopher Pike series that I'm loving too). I actually took the day off so I could go and see New Moon at midnight on opening day- yes, I have problem :lol:

Perfect Pony
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Not at all surprised I love True Blood. I must be a lot older than all of you because of course my obsession started WAY back 20 years or so ago with Interview with a Vampire. Since then I am hooked.

However Twilight is IMO lame, not at all into it. never have been into anything to do with teens, even when I was one..

hank
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
not one word about the best vampire story ever--the original Dracula.... or 'Salem's Lot, perhaps the second best...

Samantha37
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
I definitely surprised myself! Although now I have accepted and embraced my geekness.

I flat out refused to read Twilight, especially after I saw the movie (saw it won a bunch of MTV movie awards and wanted to see what all the fuss was about), but two of my friends bullied me into them, and once I started the first one, I was a goner! I have now turned about 8 people onto them and they all have the same reaction as me. I'm madly in love with Edward, and quite frankly pissed off at Stephenie Meyers for creating this perfect man. How are normal men supposed to compare to that?!

I love the True Blood series- read the books and watch the show.

I also am now watching Vampire Diaries and read those books as well.

Of course I love Anne Rice.

Luckily I have two girlfriends who are as much vamp addicted as I am so I don't feel bad when we all share our latest vampire book :)

The sad thing is I usually read really gritty stuff- murders, espionage, etc. But now all I can read is vampires and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. It's pathetic!

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:57 PM
I can't get into the Twilight especially after reading Anita Blake novels and Charlaine Harris.. I love vamp/supernatural fiction.. I am now reading Frostbitten by Kelly Armstrong.. love that werewolf pack:D

I went to New Moon.. and it was eeeehh... just too much whining and angst... Robert Pattenson needs to ease off the red lipstick a bit. :lol: True Blood is a lot gritter (but is geared for a more adult audience) and the books are even better.

Heck I like Vampire Diaries better than the Twilight stuff..

And I am soooo Team Eric... Yummmy!!!!

danceronice
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:36 PM
horse-loverz: did you read the Sookie Stackhouse novel where Eric loses his memory? That one's my favorite.

I like the original Dracula (while bowing to its forerunners, "Carmilla", "The Vampire", etc). I like some modern takes on it better ("The Dracula Tapes" by Saberhagen, "Quincy Morris, Vampire" which IIRC is P.N. Elrod) "Salem's Lot" to me falls under horror, not fantasy, and I prefer the dark fantasy vampires.

Okay, true vampire geekdom, did anyone else ever play Vampire: The Masquerade? (I also have watched the truly weaksauce TV adaptation, "Kindred: The Embraced", or "Melrose Place With Fangs", which is PAINFULY bad. Speaking of vampire TV, how about "Forever Knight"?)

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
I've not seen Twilight(s) but I love the Vampire Diaries. Especially the very cute bad brother who tends to kill a lot of people.

The cool thing is that series is filmed in or around Macon, and the women from the series were flashing drivers on 75 from an overpast. Someone turned them in and they were all arrested. Bad news for the snitch, as the vampires will probably get him/her.:lol: Too bad the 2 cute brother vampires weren't doing some flashing too.

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:50 PM
horse-loverz: did you read the Sookie Stackhouse novel where Eric loses his memory? That one's my favorite.

I like the original Dracula (while bowing to its forerunners, "Carmilla", "The Vampire", etc). I like some modern takes on it better ("The Dracula Tapes" by Saberhagen, "Quincy Morris, Vampire" which IIRC is P.N. Elrod) "Salem's Lot" to me falls under horror, not fantasy, and I prefer the dark fantasy vampires.

Okay, true vampire geekdom, did anyone else ever play Vampire: The Masquerade? (I also have watched the truly weaksauce TV adaptation, "Kindred: The Embraced", or "Melrose Place With Fangs", which is PAINFULY bad. Speaking of vampire TV, how about "Forever Knight"?)

Oh yes I read it and it was my favorite too.. I am hoping they will run something like that in the tv show.. I watched Moonilight before it was cancelled and Blood Ties too.. (THAT was an excellent show!!)

I also love Katie MacAllister her vamp books and her Dragon series is hot.. funny and sexy with a good plot!! LOVE them!!

Aggie4Bar
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:04 PM
I got addicted to Vampire stuff after "Interview with the Vampire". I read several Anne Rice novels, practically memorized Bram Stoker's Dracula, watched "Kindred" (anyone remember that?), and sort of watched some of Angel. I never really got into Buffy or Angel.

Anyhow, I took my 10-year old and her friend to see "New Moon" this past weekend. I never saw "Twilight", and I did not read the books. The girls loved the movie. Me? I've seen some really stupid movies over the years, but "New Moon" ranks up there as one of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever sat through. Weak plot, weak characters, bad acting... it sucked. What further annoyed me about the story was the redefining of vampires, the utter un-maleness of Edward, and the co-dependence of Bella. Is it too much to ask for strong characters? I wanted Victoria to kill Bella, and I wanted the wolf to eat Edward. And I do NOT get the hype.

EventingJ
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:23 PM
Oook.. I loooove love love the Sookie Stackhouse books. TrueBlood is pretty good - but the books are oh so much better. Twilight books are "okay". I like the storyline in the first 3 books (4th book was a WTF?! book imo) but IMHO shes a pretty terrible writer. Yes, this is her first book blah blah blah, but shes still not a good writer. Her storyline idea was great, don't get me wrong, but the delivery sort of sucked. Twilight movie was pretty cheesey, but I didn't hate it I guess. It wont stop me from (eventually) watching New Moon (hey, ripped men with their shirts off running around? I'm there!). Vampire Diaries - its entertaining.. not one of those deep thinking shows haha, but I'm interested enough to where I'd like to read the book series I think. I DVR it and watch it in my spare time, not that I've got a ton at the moment!

RugBug
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
Can't say I'm "into" vampires, but I do watch some vampire shows. My favorite TV show ever is BtVS (I'm a Whedonite through and through). I've watched many vampires movies (Lost Boys being one fo the best.) and will watch series with vampires if it appeals to me (watched Moonlight recently and enjoyed it). I haven't watched TrueBlood or Vampire Diaries and I don't know if I will.

I do love Twilight...but probably more because I'm a huge 'cheesy highschool' nut. I love highschool cheesiness and Twilight fits that bill. I thought the first movie was pretty bad, though. Robert Pattinson as Edward? Please. How is skinny, big headed self can be Edward is beyond me. I will go see New Moon, hoping it's better than Twilight.

Truthfully, I'm not to hard on my entertainment. I don't expect everything to be significant or ground-breaking or jaw-dropping or whatever. I do enjoy those types of media, but really I just want to lose myself for a few hours. If a TV show or book or movie can accomplish that for me, I'm usually happy.

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not ashamed to say it " My name is Victoria and I am a vampire movie/book/tv show addict!"

My new addition is The Vampire Diaries. Damion, yum yum. He is like a dark haired Eric from Tru Blood. Though I like Eric better in the books.
I have a love for all things fantasy. Don't even get me started on books involving the Fae.....

nickers@dawn
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
Has anyone read the book by the Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist called "Let the Right One In?" They made a movie about it which I haven't seen, I think it's an indie film. It's a true vamp story, grusome and disturbing but also strangely romantic. Check it out.

NanO
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:53 PM
I ran home from 3rd grade everyday to watch Dark Shadows and didn't realise it was a soap opera. To this day I have furniture in all the corners (they can only appear in corners) and never look outside at night (they can't come in unless you invite them). My kids think this is hysterical and tease me about it.
As for the Twilight series I think it's hysterical! I grew up on Sandra Dee and Troy Donohough where if a girl had sex before marriage you were ruined, your dad lost his job, your house burned down and you were cast out of town. But in Twilight, if a girl has sex IT WILL KILL YOU!!!! What does this say about our culures' take on women's sexuality!

SarahandSam
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:56 PM
I still argue that I am not a vampire geek, but I really liked the Twilight books. (:

Janeway
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hooray! I'm not alone :winkgrin:

I do agree that the Twilight books weren't exactly well written; but they sure were easy to get lost in!

Question for fans about the Sookie Stackhouse books: I read the 1st one just last week and was sort of disappointed that it was exactly like Season 1 of True Blood. Are the next couple of books the same story as Season 2? or are they quite different? I'm just wondering if I should continue to read the series.

Tried reading the Anne Rice books a few times, but could never get into them. Normally I am more of a science fiction / fantasy reader, with some good literature and non-fiction thrown in, which is why it was so odd for me to like these books. I mean, I HATED the Dan Brown books, thought they were crap and couldn't make it past page 20 in any of them :lol:

Yet I liked these...

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:04 PM
Janeway the sookie books are a lot different from the TV version's second season. I promise you won't be disappointed :)

gaellentquest have you read the Fever series by Karen Marie moaning??? Or the Merry Gentry books?

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
Janeway- The books are much much different then the second season. It will be worth reading the rest trust me. Season 2 was SO SO different from the books that almost everything in season 2 has little to do with the books.

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
horse-loverz No I haven't. Never heard of those. Will have to look them up at the library. One of my fav vampire books that was not part of a series was I,Vampire (or it may have been Vampire, I it was so long ago). Though I just picked up Real Vampires Have Curves to read it is book 1 of 3 so far.

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:13 PM
GQ the Merry Gentry books are by Laurell k Hamilton. All about the fae it is very VERY VERY steamy and the Fever Series is AWESOME. Actually almost all of Ms Moanings books deal with the fae some the Highlander series is worth reading!!!

Chief2
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:14 PM
Not into vampires et al, but I just wanted to add that one of the music selections in "New Moon" is, "Asleep Beneath the Moon", written and performed by John Fluker. It is a lovely piece to play, and is available in sheet music from amazon, as is the original CD it is on, Sounds of Peace, by said composer. One of my student's is having a great time learning it.

Gray Horse H/J
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:24 PM
I never gave Twilight, the movie OR the books, a thought. Then over the summer I was looking for a book to read on a 14 hour car ride. I bought Twilight, figuring I'd give it a shot.

Holy freaking crap, I was addicted. :lol:

I read all the books pretty quick. I found New Moon a bit slow. But I'm seeing the movie tonight actually.

I thought the movie Twilight was...eh. Not great. But not terrible. The Edward in my head is hotter than Rob Pattinson as Edward, but I could still go for Rob.

And I'm 25. I figure there's still some 16 year old in me. :lol:

DancingAppy
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:29 PM
Growing up I watched Buffy and Angel and reading Christopher Pike's The Last Vampire series. Love the classic "I am Legend" (NOT the movie, oh god, not the movie). Was obsessed with the movie Interview with Vampire for a while (but I think that was only for the hot leading men...).

I'm not a Twilight fan, just can't get into it. Don't have access to True Blood, but I do want to see that show. I watched an episode of Vampire Diaries and was surprised how entertaining it was! Won't become a regular watcher of it, though.

Now, I'm going to let out my nerdism that I'm ashamed of.... But there are a lot good vampire anime series... Most are shorter and more like mini-series, but the plots are pretty good and more unique. That's all I'm gonna say about that nerdism...:lol:

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
horselovez I am going to have to check out the Merry Gentry series. Fae and steamy, just my type of reading! Though I may be cursing your name since I can only usually read at night when I am done working, except when I am laying here with a back problem!, and if the book is good I will not put it down till I am done or fallen asleep with it on my chest.

Roxy SM
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:56 PM
I've not seen Twilight(s) but I love the Vampire Diaries. Especially the very cute bad brother who tends to kill a lot of people.

I know! I started watching Vampire Diaries because I loved Paul Wesley (Stefan) in American Dreams. But the guy that plays his brother omg! So ridiculously hot! Glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

honeychile
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
As someone who was very much into Anne Rice in the 90's, no I'm not surprised. ;D

I LOVED new moon. I am already planning a second date in the theatre.

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:05 PM
horselovez I am going to have to check out the Merry Gentry series. Fae and steamy, just my type of reading! Though I may be cursing your name since I can only usually read at night when I am done working, except when I am laying here with a back problem!, and if the book is good I will not put it down till I am done or fallen asleep with it on my chest.

MUHAHAHAHA you will be cursing my name.. I promise.. these are books that you can't put down.. unless it is to jump in a cold shower. :D

Moaning's "Fever" series and her Highlander series are tying in..leading to a fae war.. read the Highlander series first though... and yes.. cold showers may be required there too. :cool:

BrookdaleBay
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:31 PM
I've loved vampires since highschool. I've read all of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles and Bram Stokers Dracula. The Queen Of The Damned movie was pretty good simply because I'm a sucker for Stuart Townsend as a goth vampire, lol.

I never got into the Twilight books or movies... too much hype, I think, and I was sorely disappointed by the first movie. I never got into True Blood either, but I looove Vampire Diarys. Mmm Ian Somerhalder.

Couture TB
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:32 PM
Oh you are an evil woman! Though if they have the same effect as Ann Rice's Sleeping Beauty series (some parts soo good some odd though) my husband will be happy!

Renn/aissance
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have been a vampire fanatic for years. But vampires do not !&*%ing sparkle!

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:37 PM
I know! I started watching Vampire Diaries because I loved Paul Wesley (Stefan) in American Dreams. But the guy that plays his brother omg! So ridiculously hot! Glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

That guy is soooooo good looking.:lol: And he films up in Macon, darn it, I didn't know that till the actresses got arrested for flashing. Now if Paul Wesley and that gorgeous hunk would just flash us on 75, wow!

DancingAppy
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:27 PM

:lol: Yeah, I have to admit this is why I'm not into the Twilight thing. I just didn't want to be the person who brought it up.
Now I have watched the movie, but we were playing "Twilight Shots"... A shot of liquor every time someone looked angst-y, a double shot for when they sparkle! I have to admit, I don't remember much of the movie! ;):lol:

horse-loverz
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:29 PM

AHMEN SISTA!!!!!!:winkgrin:

Twigster
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
So I just went and saw New Moon tonight, and I am now sadly harboring an obsession for a certain set of abs...

I am way too old for this! yeesh.

Who has read the latest TB book, Dead and Gone?

Susan P
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:33 PM
I guess that was the start of sympathy for vampires, eh? I used to watch that but it seemed very benign even back then. Oh gosh, what was his name, wasn't even good looking and not even scary. But boy was I hooked on that soap opera, not sure why.

I should add, I hate vampire stuff, YUCK!

I was scarred for life when my one sister used to make me watch Dark Shadows. I was 5, for God's sake.

I HATE vampire stuff.

threedogpack
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:43 PM
I only watched Twilight last week because of the hype of New Moon. Hope NM is better. The plot was poor, the characters stoopid (since when do Vamps go to high school?) and the acting stilted and stoopid. Who falls for someone who carries on with such dangerous company (that chicka, Victoria, and her fella they had to kill)? Sheesh, don't we counsel people here every Off Topic day to not get into these situations? I did like some of the characters, Alice is good. The doc is good and I loved the newest vamp who was trying so hard to hold himself together when Bella and Edward were at the house. He was funny.

I didn't like Diary of a Vampire by A. Rice but did love The Witching Hour. Her books are well written and flow.

I grew up on Dark Shadows and LOVED it, the few episodes of Angel I really liked too.

EponaRoan
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:32 AM
If you like vampires (and werewolves and ghosts, etc), then I gotta plug one of my favorite series - Being Human - which airs on BBC America. It's just ... charming. But with bite. :cool: And Mitchell is one hot piece of ... vampire. With an accent. Well, they all have accents since they live in England.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/369/index.jsp

The first season is just six episodes. They're shooting the 2nd season now.

Tragically they're 'redoing' it on the SyFy network. I can't imagine why it's necessary to redo it with an American (well probably shot in Canada & with a good chunk of Canadian actors) cast when the UK actors are truly awesome already.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700325/bbcs-being-human-comes-to-syfy.html

Anyway, give it a shot!

MHM
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:29 AM
I loved (loved!) Buffy the series, and didn't hate Buffy the movie. The greatest thing in the movie was seeing future two time Oscar winner Hilary Swank explain why she had to invite the vampires to the prom: "They're seniors!" Classic. :lol:

I also liked the fact that Buffy was not the victim, she was the hero, the slayer. She had her problems, but the premise was that she was the opposite of the pathetic, passive girl, waiting to get killed.

Fast forward however many years, and... we're back to Twilight and Vampire Diaries, where the lead girl is back to being pathetic and passive, waiting to get killed. Ick. Bella is particularly annoying, especially in light of the fact that all these teen girls are reading these books, seeing these movies, seeing Bella ready to die for her angsty teen romance- oy.

And is it just me, or did she treat Jacob really badly in New Moon (the book), using him as a crutch when she was in a funk, leading him on even though she only viewed him as a friend, then ditching him?

Plus none of the current crop of vampires holds a candle to Spike! Though Bella's dad in Twilight (the movie) was surprisingly cute. ;)

Equilibrium
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:44 AM
I only watch the Twilight saga due to Robert Pattison so not really busy deciding how bad the acting is or isn't!

Terri

RiddleMeThis
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:59 AM
Hi, my name is Ashley, and I am a HUGE vampire lover.

Read and reread Twilight, and lets see what other vampire/supernatural books I read

Dark Hunter Series
True Blood (TV and Books)
Vampire Diaries (Books and TV)
Nightwalkers Series
Meredith Gentry Series
Midnight Breed Series
League Series
Noble Dead Saga
Black Dagger Brotherhood
Gardella Vampire Chronicles
Anita Blake

And I think a few more that aren't on my Kindle yet, and countless others I haven't started yet...

Yes, my name is Ashley and I have a horrible horrible addiction.

rcloisonne
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ann Rice's The Vampire Lestat is one of my all time favorite books ever! The movie, Interview With the Vampire, totally sucked. Tom Cruise as Lestat? What were they thinking?!!!

The Twilight series of books are really silly, teenage fare (read the first book). Haven't seen the film.

I rarely watch TV and don't even have cable so no comment on the TV shows.

RugBug
Nov. 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
I also liked the fact that Buffy was not the victim, she was the hero, the slayer. She had her problems, but the premise was that she was the opposite of the pathetic, passive girl, waiting to get killed.

Fast forward however many years, and... we're back to Twilight and Vampire Diaries, where the lead girl is back to being pathetic and passive, waiting to get killed. Ick. Bella is particularly annoying, especially in light of the fact that all these teen girls are reading these books, seeing these movies, seeing Bella ready to die for her angsty teen romance- oy.

Here's my thing: not ALL teenage female lead characters can be strong, independent, etc. That's just not the way the world is. Some girls/women are passive. Some are doormats. Some are weak.

And to tell you the truth, I don't think Bella is any of those things. She's very self-sacrificing with her family. She goes after what she wants. She has the courage to be herself (she never really tries to fit in with Jessica and the other girls. If they happen to like her, fine. Otherwise she's fine being herself). I often hear people complain about what an annoying, weak character Bella is, but I don't see it. She's physically frail (and clumsy as all hell), but emotionally and intellectually, she's fairly strong, IMO. Young? yes. But who, at 17 was able to break up with the boy you loved because he might not be the best person to be around?

We really need to stop expecting all female characters to be these strong Whedon-esque types rather than allowing a full range of the spectrum...and seeing the postives in each. :winkgrin:

BTW: Buffy had her own weaknesses. Namely being too independent and too self-reliant. She closed people out of her life and isolated herself. She was also fairly dismissive of her friends/family.

And is it just me, or did she treat Jacob really badly in New Moon (the book), using him as a crutch when she was in a funk, leading him on even though she only viewed him as a friend, then ditching him?

Oh, she treated him horribly. Used him mercilessly. I think she was startin to fall for him when she got the news about Edward, though. But no matter, it's also pretty human to use someone...doesn't make you a particularly good person at that moment, but it's common, no?

midnightdream
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
I used to laugh at all the Twilight addicts and thought how crazy to be that into vampires. But I love to read and with all the hype I decided to borrow the first book from a friend just to check it out. Well I was hooked and actually went out and got myself the box set of the books. I haven't gotten around to seeing the movies yet as I am waiting for my mom to finish reading them first (yes she got hooked too).

thatmoody
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:12 PM
I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books when they first came out (I was really into the Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden series and when she came out with the vampire books I was beside myself) and adore True Blood. I like that they're taking the books and going even further with them :).

I was a huge Anne Rice fan when Interview came out, but I could never get into any of her books other than the Beauty series after Lestat came out. I enjoyed the first couple of books but just really couldn't stand her overblown style after that, although it really wowed me when I first read it.

And I LOVED Buffy but mostly because of Joss Whedon. He really created a good universe that drew me in (Willow was, I think, my favorite character) and his storylines were just riveting for TV back then.

But my favorite vampire book right now (and I was delighted to see it mentioned above) was Robin Mckinley's Sunshine. She's an excellent writer, and it's not a series - the main characters are well-developed, and it's just...different and fun. I'm getting ready to re-read it for about the 10th time right now, in fact.

FancyFree
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:25 PM

I agree. Being an aficionado of the vampire in literature genre, I'm offended by SMeyer's junk. She capriciously changed the legend of vampires. I just couldn't read it. Bram Stoker probably rolled over in his grave. Twinkly, sparkly vampires, blech.

I do love me some True Blood though. My gawd, Alexander Skarsgard is the hottest vampire in the history of vampires. Gary Oldman a close second imo.

My favorite books with vampires: Let the Right One In, The Sookie Stackhouse series, Interview with the Vampire, and of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula. As for movies: The Hunger, Coppola's version of Dracula and movie version of Let the Right One In.

horse-loverz
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:33 PM
EponaRoan I checked out that Being Human and really enjoyed it!! All the characters are very likeable. I hope Sci Fi channel doesn't ruin it.

MHM
Nov. 26, 2009, 04:34 PM
We really need to stop expecting all female characters to be these strong Whedon-esque types rather than allowing a full range of the spectrum...and seeing the postives in each. :winkgrin:

I don't think they need to ALL be Whedon-esque, but I'd like to see some young strong female characters more often than, say, once in a generation. ;)

Bella's character seemed a little less wimpy in the book, but to me, it didn't translate well onto the movie screen, at least in Twilight. I haven't seen the second movie.