PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else try the fitness recommendations from last Off Topic Day?

ex-racer owner
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:41 PM
So, last time there was an off topic day (around Halloween), there was a thread posted about how to get yourself fit. Did anyone else take up any of these challenges? I began the "Couch to 5K" program on November 2, after reading about it on here. I am now partway through my fourth week and very excited to finish the program. My last last official day will be January 1, if I keep to my same schedule of days that I have been running. What a great way to start the New Year, by being able to run 5K! I also don't have to feel so bad about eating the delicious holiday food if I am working out;)

Anyone else start a fitness program? How's it going?

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:58 PM
I haven't yet . :( I did look into it but wasn't sure if i should spend the 20-30 for it. But sounding like i should.

I have just been continuing to jog/walk the trail close to my house through the coulees. Which ends up being about 3-4 km round trip. Plus i started doing some stairs... its a love hate relationship when i do the stairs. There is about a 100 stairs i think on that section.

Need to get my butt out there today too.

I find my problem is that i don't have a running buddy(human or other wise) to either motivate me or hold me accountable. :(

P.

Lone
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:27 PM
I started the c25k program this fall, I injured my knee in May and it's not quite up to par yet and the running was making it way worse. But, I'm going to try again in a few months. I'm not a runner at all, but I LOVED the c25k. If you're on facebook there is a fan page for it- lots of very encouraging people!

Jolie_
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
Me and a group of us from the barn have started P90X. We are lucky that our barn has a work-out room so we have been riding after work and then working out. We are only on day 5 but it is hard and motivating when there is more than one and to push yourself when you see the others doing it (my coach can do pushups like a machine)

I also do Jillian Micheals 30day shred C.D's in the morning's, if we do not work out the night before.

I am hoping my increased core strength will help me with my riding, so far it has been great.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
Have to admit I've been a slacker for about the last month, have only been to the gym a scattered number of times. I did do the first workout of Jillian M's 30 day shred and loved the workout - the only problem is that the jumping jacks and jumprope killed my knees. If only I could get Jillian to come here and drag my butt to the gym every morning.

Horse with No Name
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
Alas, all I can admit to is thinking about doing something... :D

Even tho I haven't been near a gym for the last six years my core strength is still there but my fitness level at the moment is just abysmal! However, I just got back from a three day break in which time I did a lot of walking and the plan is to keep walking on a daily basis - it helps that I have a horse kept just over 1km away from home and I fully intend to walk to her twice a day from now on so that's a reasonable walk to start with although maybe tune in next OT day to see if I actually do or not ... :winkgrin:

Jolie_
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:04 PM
Have to admit I've been a slacker for about the last month, have only been to the gym a scattered number of times. I did do the first workout of Jillian M's 30 day shred and loved the workout - the only problem is that the jumping jacks and jumprope killed my knees. If only I could get Jillian to come here and drag my butt to the gym every morning.

I know and I joined her Facebook page and realized that she rides, so now I like her even more. I bought another of her DVD's boast motabolism banish fat (or something like that) and I like that on mornings that I have more than 20 min, but would think that would not be any better on knees as she does like her jumping jacks :o (red face because that is how i look after working out)

danceronice
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:31 PM
I've started doing a bellydance workout DVD. (Bellydance: Slim Down with Veena and Nina) And don't laugh, but it does actually work! It's also fun, and good cross-training for dance. I hadn't actually realized how asymmetric my muscle development was before I started having to try things like shoulder work on one side.

I also tried the "Dancing With the Stars Cardio Latin" (with Maks, Kym, and Ashley.) It's a GOOD workout (in fact I can handle basically warm-up, two dances, and cooldown, not all four ten-minute workouts.) The down side to it was it's badly filmed for an exercise video--there's no breakdown of steps, there are some shots where you can't see the feet and legs, and honestly? If I didn't already know how to do Jive I'd have been lost on that routine, plus possibly have hurt myself because I know some things about Jive technique that aren't explained but are necessary to doing some of the steps they use with a minimum of pounding on your joints.

heatherny2
Nov. 25, 2009, 03:37 PM
I didn't know Jillian rides, that's awesome, now I like her even more (although if she was in person screaming in my face, probably not so much). Yeah, she really does like those JJ's, ugh.
I also just saw the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders boot camp DVD that seems kinda interesting - looks to be a really good workout.