PDA

View Full Version : Any Sewers or quilters out there?

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone on COTH is an avid sewer/quilters as well?

Just got me wondering while i sit here sewing a 9-patch quilt. Tis my first queen size official quilt. I have made a few baby blankets before.

Love to see any other quilts.

Also an avid general sewer. Made my own grade 12 grad gown ( medivale /renaissance style).

Anyone attempt to make riding clothes or horse blankets/coolers??

Will work on posting some pics of my quilt/other projects.

P.

TBMaggie
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:45 PM
Quilter (raises hand). I started about 9 years ago - and have a huge stash of fabric, many books and patterns, and seem to spend most of my time 'picking out' my next project. :D There's soooo much to choose from:lol: I do manage to complete at least one queen-size quilt per year...and my quilts tend to be utilitarian,i.e. wouldn't win any prizes.
(Who wants to be 'perfect' anyway?)

I'm always happy to meet another quilter:):):)

trubandloki
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
I keep reading this thread title as sewer - not a person who sews but the pipes that carry away waste. Sorry, one of those job related issues I guess.

Darn brain.

I am related to many people who sew and quilt. I did not inherit that gene.

Rackonteur
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:02 PM
I grew up with a really gifted seamstress--my mother! I wish I could sew like she did, but at least I can mend. As a child I kept starting patchwork quilts but never finished one; she made a number of other patterns of quilts, cotton ones and wool-corduroy ones. Really pretty. The only pattern I remember is Log Cabin.

I get thrilled when I am able to start and complete a very small sewing project. I wish I had a pattern for breeches--I would love to try making some! Do fabric stores sell lycra blends?

Daydream Believer
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
I've been a quilter for probably 20 years now give or take. I am self taught. I've done 9 patch, log cabin, double wedding ring, bear paw, a fan/log cabin hybrid, and a broken star as well as several smaller crib quilts and wall hangings. I will machine piece and hand quilt in a frame. I wish I had more time to get back into it again but at this point in my life, no.

jcotton
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:02 PM
I quilt. I have made about 4 large quilts(kings or queens). Kings, I send to be machine quilt. Queens, I quilt myself. I have a queen in the frame. Not getting much done on it but very relaxing when I do get time to work on it.
Been quilting for about 20+ yrs. I learned from my mom. I love piecing more than quilting because it is so portable. Preference is to hand piece and hand quilt.

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:55 PM
I get thrilled when I am able to start and complete a very small sewing project. I wish I had a pattern for breeches--I would love to try making some! Do fabric stores sell lycra blends?

Yup they do sell the lycra blends. If your regular fabric store doesn't have any, there are sometimes outdoor/sporting fabric stores.

umm i know i have a website for one around here.. will look for it.

Daydream: wow! would love to see any pics if you have any.

Must say i have attempted a fleece fitted cooler for a mare i use to ride. Not sure what went wrong but really doesn't fit :( Maybe one day when i have my own horse i will fiddle with it.

P.

nightsong
Nov. 26, 2009, 03:59 AM
Yes, my neighbor is a sewer, or potty-mouth if you prefer.

knightrider
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'd love to see pics! I'm a wannabe quilter...have a project ready to go, but no time to start it!

Daydream Believer
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'll have to see if I have any pics in my photo library...I'd be happy to share. It might be later today. 10 stalls await me for cleaning...

mht
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:04 AM
I have been sewing since I was about five years old-started with Barbie clothes.

I sew for my 22 y.o. daughter, who sees all these designer clothes, and can't afford them, so she asks Mom to make them. And, because she is 5'11", she gets a perfect fit because I alter the patterns for her.

I also sew a lot of horsie stuff as well. Coolers, blankets, saddle pads, and do jackets, breeches, shirts, etc. Actually made a show coat this spring for a friend who shows Rockies. I LOVE Suitability!

Drive NJ
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:25 AM
We're occasional sewers, but Drive NJ2 sews, knits, crochets and cross stitches and I quilt, crochet and cross stitch

I made my first quilt when I was on Jury Duty back in the day it was 2 weeks of boredom. Pieces a Lone Sta which then took me forever to quilt. Super ambitious first project, but I'd always wanted one and decided if I only ever did the one, it would be the one I wanted. It's worn, but still on my bed.

Also made a few baby quilts, a broken star and finished a flower applique album quilt started by my Great Aunt Did NOT finish the fan quilt which is still waiting for me to start - years later.

I also had the honor of putting together the COTH patches for Oliver's Quilt - http://pets.webshots.com/album/559267758PWuIdH

In October we made a ton of crocheted stars and snowflakes to send to the troops for Christmas through the SHIPS Project

http://www.theshipsproject.com/

blackcat95
Nov. 26, 2009, 09:51 AM
used to be a sewer, but got hooked on knitting and have never looked back... i'm thinking about knitting something for my horse but can't figure out what he'd like... any ideas?

Daydream Believer
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:00 AM
As requested:

My first quilt, a nine patch with an applique boarder, pieced by hand and quilted by hand.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/PB260057.jpg

2nd quilt I've made...pieced hearts crib quilt.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/PB260056.jpg

A quilt I've made for my mother. It's a fan/log cabin blend. That is Abbey, my Mom's dachshund. Machine pieced and hand quilted. Queen size.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/IMG_1809.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/IMG_1811.jpg

This is my broken star quilt. It is big...king size. Machine pieced and hand quilted. It took me two years to make. That is Mr. DDB holding it from behind standing on a transformer box and we used the flag pole to help hold it open! It's big! I made it and refuse to use it on my bed since the dogs scratch at the covers. My old log cabin quilt got pretty torn up that way.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/ssluss/PB260060.jpg

There are a number of others that I don't have digital pics of and no time today to try to find the photos and scan them in...so enjoy these.

Drive NJ
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
G O R G E O U S ! ! !

cocopuff
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
My mom is the one with the sewing skills and talent. I have been through two failed attempts to sew a dressage jacket. The second one definitely went better than the first and I know I'll finally get it right when I work on the third one. My husband doesn't understand why I don't just buy a coat. I'm not doing it to save money (ha!)...I'm doing it because its fun and a nice goal to say "I made this myself." My mom totally understands. :yes:

Polydor
Nov. 26, 2009, 11:48 AM
Those are beautiful quilts Daydream. Love that king size broken star one!

That COTH Baby quilt is super cute. Wish i had been around for the making of that.

I did attempt to make a hunt coat but it just never turned out correctly. Now its to small for me now anyways.

P.

lemonpoppy
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:52 PM
Daydream those quilts are beautiful! I always start projects like this but never finish them.

For Christmas this year I want to make my friend a t shirt / memory quilt. How would I go about finding someone to machine quilt it for me after I finish the top piece? I think if I try to hand quilt the whole thing, this will be another project that never ends.

Daydream Believer
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks! I haven't made a quilt in a couple of years now since we've been on this farm. My "life" as it is, has much less free time than I used to. I made that big broken star quilt when we lived in Northern New York and I was locked inside all winter. I love quilting...it is so relaxing and rewarding.

My next venture is going to be the landscape quilts...those look like a lot of fun.

tullio
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Oh oh! Me me! I was going to start this thread on our next OT Day (of course I forgot all about it when I saw we were actually having OT Day... oops!)

My mom and a 4-H friend taught me the basics of sewing and I've been at it off and on ever since. I only have one quilt-top in progress but it's a lot of fun when I get around to working on it. I like to make Halloween costumes and little things for the house (pillows, curtains, etc). Since I'm not working right now, I'm making all kinds of Christmas presents - tote bags, dog clothes, a wall hanging, etc!

For those of you who are into sewing, have you seen Sewing Pattern Review.com? I just found it while working on Halloween costumes and I really enjoy it. You can read reviews of patterns before purchasing them or making them - it is really helpful!

EventingJ
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:07 AM
Its something I'd love to do, but never seem to have time for... even my scrapbooking has been on hold for this past year due to school and work and horses...

Daydream you made some beautiful quilts!! I love the last one, you are awesome

Polydor
Nov. 27, 2009, 12:13 PM
I found a couple pics of the baby blankets i have made for my cousins.

I can only see two of 16 pics.. thinking the other 14 pics are the other baby blankets but not sure.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/Polydor105/Other/?action=view&current=IMG_1232.jpg

P.