PDA

View Full Version : Fencing with rope electric

Holly Jeanne
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have just finished putting in a ring! :D Unfortunately, we weren't able to use an existing fence line as one side and the sand came in over budget. So, for financial reasons and because it sits in the middle of a pasture, I'm thinking I'll fence it with electric to keep little noses out when I'm riding.

I've used tape and wire previously but really want to use a couple of strands of rope electric this time. Any hints? What kind? Electrobraid looks good but $200+ for a roll makes me wonder if it's worth it. :eek: I've used metal ends on the tape but how do you do the ends using the rope? What the best way to connect strands? What's a good not too expensive solar charger big enough for a ring? TIA!!

Cloverbarley
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:48 PM
By all means electrify the ring when you are not using it, but I really do not think it is a good idea to be riding in it with the electric on. Could be an accident waiting to happen.

I'm not much help on advising you on electric rope as I don't use it sorry.

Holly Jeanne
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, I plan to turn it off while riding but I'm thinking if it's on all the time otherwise, little nosies won't think to challenge it while I'm riding. :lol:

VCT
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:37 PM
We use Electrobraid for our pastures. Great stuff. Easy to install. I don't know how other electric rope manufacturers compare with electrobraid as I've never used their products.

For the ends, you loop it through a roller insulater which is attached to a loop of nylon webbing that goes around the post, or attach the insulator directly to the post. You loop the electrobraid through and attach it back to itself with a copper split bolt.

As far as a solar fencer... I don't know of any that pack enough power to really give a solid shock when used in conjunction with any really large area. I don't know how big your ring is... but you should be able to find specs on what any particular fencer you are looking at.

For the fence to be safe you need to have braces in the corners and tension the fence properly so it's not saggy/loose. When tensioned properly I believe it is very very safe fencing. We've had some silly horses get a leg through it or whatnot and they've come out unscathed.

jennywho
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:29 PM
I have to put this out here. We built our farm within the last five years. Used non climb for perimeter and rope for cross fencing. We followed installation instructions to the T. I "thought" I had as safe of a fence as possible. Then came the morning that I got to the farm and found one of my yearling fillies with her hind leg completely severed minus the main blood vessels which unfortunately kept her alive. It was the most horrific experience I've ever dealt with and I used to rub racehorses so I've been through breakdowns.

I chalked it up to a freak deal and restrung the fence. (This was with endurasoft rope). About a month later my 4 yo kicked at some cross fencing we had done with electrobraid. She got her hock hung up on it and it took 8 weeks for it to heal.

I have since seen other horror stories about the electric rope on various forums.

I have now taken all of ours down. To me, it's not worth it.

deltawave
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Check out the Electrobraid website--they have a downloadable brochure and video that shows in great detail how it's properly installed, or they will send you a free DVD.

Have all my fences in Electrobraid and love it. Simple, safe, and horses respect it utterly. They have a $5000 warranty saying my horses won't be hurt on their fence. Of course I wouldn't use that as any isolated "guarantee"--horses can injure or kill themselves in any number of ways--but they put their money where their mouths are, and in all honesty I can't see how a horse of mine could get hurt on the stuff unless they projectiled themselves right through it at top speed and tore half of the posts down in the process, thus setting up a potential tangling situation. It's way too tight in its normal state for anything but a bounce-off, and I've had a foal do that a couple of times, nary a scratch. And heck, if a horse flings itself through just about ANY sort of fence with that much force, it's going to hurt itself. I do believe it's safe, and would also say board fence is safe although I've seen a horse lacerate a jugular (fortunately nonfatal) on a broken fence board. . .

Two of my paddocks are hard-wired to a regular charger in the tack room, and one of them has a solar charger. Both are VERY hot, and no problems with a good stiff charge from the solar one, although here when it's very cloudy and daylight is scant during the winter months, it is not as good. But I don't use that paddock in the winter anyhow, so it's OK for me. :)

ReSomething
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:15 AM
We have electrobraid also. TSC sells it and pretty much all the parts including a hard wired charger. It is quite attractive stuff really and easily visible. If you are going to be using it for an arena I have to tell you that some horses get a little leery about traveling next to electric fence and will keep an eye on it and fuss. They don't know if it is off or on, and they sure don't want to find out!

NoDQhere
Nov. 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
Our outdoor arena and the majority of the fences on our farm are Horse Guard Electric Tape. IMO, it is much safer than any of the rope type electric fences. We have never had an injury with it and the horses really respect it. And it looks very nice.

Holly Jeanne
Nov. 27, 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks folks! I'd love to use tape and have used it on fences before. I ended up taking it down as we get some serious winds and it kept breaking and/or stretching. Keep the suggestions coming!

jacksmom
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:07 AM
i use the rope for some perimeter fencing in the woods and to occasionally rope off an area for rehabbing. i do not use it to separate horses from horses, as i think that playing through the fence is when it's at it's most dangerous. i also keep it VERY hot, and i have had zero issues with it in the 5 years (dang, time flies) that i've used it.

shakeytails
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:13 AM
I had Electrobraid on my old farm and loved it. I bought it at cheap at the Electrobraid booth one of the first years they held Equitana in Louisville. I watched a weanling bounce off the stuff with just a tiny rope burn on his chest. It also looks nice when installed on wood posts. Because of the cost now, I'd look at other rope manufacturers - I think Ramm has a braided electric rope. The cheaper twisted rope would probably work fine and last for many years. I've had the super-cheap electric twine last for over ten years.

dawglover
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
I've had ElectroBraid now for 10 years and love it. It's easily installed and low maintenance.

I've had everything from newborns to fresh OTTBs in it with no issues.

Any type of fence can injure a horse if the horse tries hard enough.

BasqueMom
Nov. 27, 2009, 11:34 AM
We had a customer who spent a lot of money on our products to refence a
boarding facility she had bought. About a year later, she called to order some
more fencing. She had left some of the existing electric rope fence up and her
best show horse got tangled in it with an injury similar to Jennywho's horse and
had to be put down.

There have been other threads on COTH with similar stories. HorseGuard tape
has always had great reviews on here, though, and most folks don't have a problem with it flapping in the wind if it's tightening properly from what I've read.

There is a product by Centaur that is a 1-inch wide polymer rail with two wires
embedded in the polymer and one edge is "hot". It is called HotSite and might an option.

ReSomething
Nov. 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just FYI, as we never used the tape but had it present on the property.

We are up on a ridge and get pretty good wind here.

Frequent lightening strikes and thought the tape would fry faster.

The neighbor's cows took out the tape (not electrified) last year, and might have knocked down rope too, they tried the other neighbor's barbed wire and left lots of hair.

We have a twelve foot alley between our electrobraid and the neighbor's barbed wire fence (and horses). No noses, no striking.

Primary reason for rope over tape was flapping and availability. We tension the heck out of that rope and TSC is right nearby.

We also have the cheap ropey wire over 16 ga plain electric wire for deer fence and small stock containment (eight strands to seven feet, ropey wire on top for better vis)- but that stuff is a lot more dangerous, you really need for them to see it and be taught about it. Either rope or tape would be far safer, I just don't like the flapping.

And they will try to kill themselves no matter what. I knew a guy that hated pipe fences - nice well made pipe fences - as he'd had a striking incident and injury that necesitated euth.

SpottedTApps
Nov. 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've used just about every fencing product there is out there over the years. I had one mare get caught in an electric rope and cut her hock down to the joint. It was NOT electrobraid. It was the cheap rope you buy at the feedstores, that is synthetic.

I have used 3" tape and it just sags and stretches out.

I've used 1- 1 1/2" tape and horses go right through it no matter how hot it is.

I've used the cheap rope and had injuries.

I've used electrobraid (the soft, cotton type electric rope) and have watched my horses get one or two back legs hung up in it and walk away after struggling for several minutes with just the hair missing from their legs.

I've had mares get hind legs caught in high tencil to horrific results.

IF you are going to go for a discount fencing, of the ones I've listed, I would vote electrobraid.

Especially if you aren't housing horses on both sides of it. They are less apt to be doing something near the fence to cause them to get caught in it.

NoDQhere
Nov. 27, 2009, 09:29 PM
We get horrific winds here, like 70 MPH, regularly. Horse Guard Tape has a "looser" weave, designed for the wind to blow "through" which results in "not much whipping". We snug up the tape once in awhile, but it is usually more from the deer loosening it up than the wind. The Horse Guard tensioners are also really easy, making snugging up the tape very easy.

chai
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have used the rope and the tape. I think the tape is safer and more visible. jenny, I am so sorry about your filly. What a tragedy. I agree with you, Resomething. Horses will find a way to get hurt just about anywhere and the best we can do is try to find the safest fencing to try and beat the odds.
Re: using it for a ring, though, I would be concerned about the potential for a rider to be impaled on the fence rods if they got tossed while riding along the rail. Make sure you use a solid fence post like a 4 x 4 or round cedar post instead of a skinny T post or fibreglass rod.
I cringe every time I see those fibreglass rods, even when people use them to mark their driveway for the snow plow. Five years ago, a woman was killed in our small town when she fell on one during a snowball fight and it went into her eye, killing her. I had fibreglass rods at that time for the field I rent from my neighbor and I got rid of all of them.

deltawave
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:42 PM
Well, you can't get rid of everything. :) One could just as well blame snow, or snowballs. Life is dangerous--we all have to make the best decisions we can and get on with living it. I happen to hate the fiberglass driveway markers because they mean winter is coming, but without them I'd be highly more likely to drive into the drainage ditch in the winter when the lake effect is going and visibility is 3 feet . . .

greysandbays
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:44 PM
Well, if you are going fall on something and jab it through your eye, it pretty much don't make any difference if it's a fiberglass rod or a rose bush -- or anything else. It ain't gonna be pretty. But it's silly to think you can get rid of everything that might, maybe, possibly kill you if you're careless or unlucky.

Holly Jeanne
Dec. 1, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback! The posts are standard wooden posts. They are already purchased and delivered and waiting for the fence guy to show up install them.