PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Question - iPod instead of DJ

AppJumpr08
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:23 PM
I didn't expect to be posting for wedding advice anytime soon, but here I am :)
We are getting married at Suffolk Downs next summer on a live racing day (the fiance's idea :D). I'm not interested in creating a dance party as I'd really love to have a nice reception for visiting and watching the ponies, and am feeling like perhaps we could skip the DJ, as long as I had someone to make basic announcements (like introducing the bridal party, etc). I'd like to have background music, and music for our first dance, but I don't think we need to hire an entertainer. Several friends have recommended using an iPod, and I'm curious if anyone else on here has done it? How'd it work out? Pros and cons?

TIA :)

Polydor
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:29 PM
I haven't done this for a wedding but have done the dj by ipod before on a 10 day trip through the australian outback! lol It does make for a nice change of music when you change ipods/people every hour or so.

I would imagine either have someone in charge of the ipods or at least an MC type person . Then let people add to the play list as the night goes on.

P.

Bogie
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:33 PM
Congrats!

I think it would probably work out well. There are some great Ipod speaker systems (I have a Bose that has great sound) and you can set up Ipods with playlists or random selections (Shuffle).

If you like your friends' music you could even ask some of them to contribute tracks. Or have few friends bring Ipods with them.

Fun idea to have your wedding at the track. We had a couple get married at one of our Saturday hunts this fall and that was a lot of fun (and easy!).

Equus_girl
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
Congratulations! :) Welcome to the newly wed club :)
We opted for iPods for our ceremony and reception and it worked out perfectly. Groom's brother had a remote for an iPod and was making announcements as needed. We clearly marked entrance and first dance songs, so he had no trouble locating it.
You will have to get speakers though, we had a set from Brookstone, and there was an iPod dock, remote and very decent quality of sound and volume.

In_
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
I was the Ipod "DJ" for a friend's wedding. It worked out well and was considerably less expensive! Just make sure you have someone (other than you) who is willing to take charge of it for that night. Make a wedding playlist in advance - have your person stop/restart for speeches/anouncements and off you go!

Best wishes!!

Rubyfree
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:36 PM
We started out our wedding planning intending to use an Ipod and ended up just using Itunes instead- same principal.
We heard LOTS of horror stories from people who were thoroughly convinced that only professional DJ's can manage to play appropriate music at a wedding. What a load of phooey. It worked out just fine.

We spent a LOT of time sorting out our playlist- what we wanted played when. We picked every song that was played for the whole six hours- from the tailgating cocktail hour straight through the end of the reception. We had a trusted friend to play DJ- he made the announcements and pressed play and stop at the appropriate times. It saved a bundle of money, we got to hear exactly the music we wanted to hear (No chicken dance for us!) and got a dear friend involved who would otherwise have been on the sidelines. Go for it.

Tootsie
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
I was at a wedding earlier this year that did both. There was a band that played after dinner and when the official announcements were going on. After they finished I had made a playlist and we put that on for a few hours. Even if you don't hire a DJ, I would have someone be officially "in charge" on the ipod to prevent drunk wedding guests changing songs mid-songs or from putting on inappropriate songs.

tabula rashah
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
I did the photography for a wedding this past May that had an Ipod rather than a DJ- It seemed to work out really well- One thing they did was appoint some one in charge of the IPod so they didn't have to worry about it

Noctis
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:07 PM
First off....comgrats! We used an iPod at our wedding and it worked really well. Just have a person to keep an eye on it, as well as having a good set of speakers.

tle
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:16 PM
First- Congrats!!

As for the source of music... we didn't have an ipod... so we drug our entire desktop with speakers out to the park where we had the ceremony/reception. It worked out fine and I was THRILLED not to have to pay for music.

tabula rashah
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
tle, I just wanted to say that I love your sig line :)

caffeinated
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:25 PM
My best friend did that for her wedding and it worked great :)

They basically created the entire playlist in advance, and let it go :)

MunchingonHay
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:41 PM
best wishes to you !

One of the ideas I had to get the guests involved in my wedding, is when they RSVP, to include their favorite dancing songs, slow ones fast ones and everything inbetween. Then you will have an idea what everyone likes and can create a list accordingly. I would think using Itunes would be easier, but an Ipod would work just as well.

Have fun !

EqTrainer
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:58 PM
Congratulations! I don't know the answer to your question tho'... :lol:

AppJumpr08
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:00 PM
Thank you all so much! I'm so excited that it worked so well for other couples - I'm not sure if I'll go with the iPod or iTunes... I'll have to figure that out :) I know the venue has had other parties use their iPods before, and I'm pretty sure they somehow used the speakers already there. I'm going to investigate that... I like the idea of having guests suggest music too.
YAY! Ok I'm not stressing out about finding a DJ anymore :D

HelloAgain
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:44 PM
best wishes to you !

One of the ideas I had to get the guests involved in my wedding, is when they RSVP, to include their favorite dancing songs, slow ones fast ones and everything inbetween. Then you will have an idea what everyone likes and can create a list accordingly. I would think using Itunes would be easier, but an Ipod would work just as well.

Have fun !

We did this exactly (song request on the RSVP). It worked out perfectly!

We used iTunes and my husband's laptop. We also had 2 playlsts - "dinner" (background music of songs we like you can't really dance to, played during dnner) and "dancing". For the dance list we intercut 4-6 "fast"/upbeat songs with 2 slow songs (always pair slow songs, it takes some people a while to get on the floor). We used all the requests we were able to find, and people really seemed to dig dancing to "their" song.

A month after our wedding, we went to a cousin's wedding where all the "pro" dj did was literally monitor an iTunes playlist. I felt offended for her.

Barnfairy
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:53 PM
OMG Jess congratulations!!!! I can't answer your questions because iPods didn't even exist when I got married a billion years ago, but I'm so excited for you!!! :D

Emryss
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hubby and I used a boom box (before Ipods) and the party was a huge hit. Had a friend change out CDs, but with a modern Ipod, that won't even be necessary. Have fun, and congratulations.