PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Use JC name or the name previous rider used?

RegentLion
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
My new horse has been competed (eventing) under a different name than his JC name with a previous owner/rider.

I don't like the name his previous owner used (barn name and show name were the same).... but am keeping it as his "barn name" and could keep it as his show name.

I'd RATHER use his JC name (which although weird, I like) which his "Holy Natural." http://www.pedigreequery.com/holy+natural

We would be competing in the same area as previous owner. So.... keep the "old name" or use the JC name? :confused:

QHEventr
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:11 PM
What is his competition name? If he already has a record, I would keep it. If not, I would have no issues using his JC name.

Johanna

purplnurpl
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:29 PM
What is his competition name? If he already has a record, I would keep it. If not, I would have no issues using his JC name.

Johanna

unless you don't care about his previous record.
I really like Holy Natural! :D

RegentLion
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:42 PM
His barn/competition name is "Jackson." Nothing WRONG with it but I just don't like the name.

His previous record isn't really something that I care about one way or another. I don't know what the story is with changing his name with the USEA either.

Lone
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:44 PM
I vote for switching it to Holy Natural

hhfarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:50 PM
If you want to name him something else, you can still keep his record. The USEA (at least last year) allowed name changes, and the fee was something like $25. That way you can keep his record, and name him whatever makes you happy!

Congrats on your new horse!

nextyear
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:01 PM
I vote for JC name....

WhyGeorgia
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:21 PM
I changed my guy's name last year. Same situation, I didn't like the show name he came with, so I decided to change it to his JC name. I thought about coming up with something completely different, Signal Crossing is not the greatest name on earth; at least Holy Natural is cute! ! It was a $25 fee for the USEA and he kept his record. Just log on to Dashboard and from what I remember it was pretty easy to find!

Blugal
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
Give the owner a call and say,
"I really love Jackson. I am so lucky to have him. Now that he has moved on from his partnership with you, I feel that changing his show name will allow me to feel like I have a unique partnership with him. Thanks again for such a wonderful horse, and we'll see you out on the show circuit!"

I've sold many horses whose names have been changed. (Often I though for the worse!) BUT I have done the same thing with many of them too - and know that when I buy a horse, I want it to have a name that I like & that suits us. So when new owners tell me they're changing the name, I say, "Glad you are enjoying him, please keep me updated on your progress and I always love to see pictures!"

ponygirl
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
I like his JC name! :) It's much better than my OTTB JC name of Tools for the Job but I plan on showing him with his JC name anyway. I say show him with the name you like best.

Beam Me Up
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
There are probably fewer Holy Naturals than Jacksons out there, so I vote HN.

I'm going to keep my horse's JC name for the first time in a few horses.
I usually let my family rename them for me, and they've had some clever ones, but my sister's theory is that changing the name to something cool is a bit of curse, so I'll give the JC name a go.

If Jackson/Holy Natural has an event record you should keep it, for division eligibility and resale. It is clearly not your intent at all, but it might look to others as though you were getting rid of the record for some sort of personal advantage (I don't know--they talk about this a lot on the h/j board).

Toadie's mom
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
I vote for Holy Natural also. Jackson is too common, but good barn name! Have a friend that bought a horse that had done inter. and she changed his name w/USEA without any problem.

Wee Dee Trrr
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
I recently sold a horse that I registered with USEA under a different name than his JC registry. Although I like the name I gave him MUCH better, I wouldn't care if she changed it back. At the time I registered him with USEA he was the only one, now there are three.
Barn name: Will
USEA: Willpower
JC: Wandrn' Wille

And, I just bought another OTTB... and this time I'm going to keep the JC name. I think it's hilarious.
Barn name: Westley
JC: Wee Dee Trrr (sound it out!)

TBCollector
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:09 PM
I've kept all my horses' Jockey Club names (except for one I thought was atrocious - Hyglo). Because I work in racing and keep track of the OTTBs I always appreciate when someone has kept the horse's registered name. It's such a nice surprise when you see one at a horse trials that you knew at the track! My old guy ran for a LONG time (and in a Breeders' Cup) and at every event there were always one or two people who remembered him from his glory days.

OverandOnward
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:27 PM
The USEA records are filed by the horse's USEA number ... so changing the name officially through the USEA doesn't disturb that continuity.

Changed my horse's USEA name, it was not a problem. The previous owner cared more about selling the horse to a good new owner than what his USEA name was. :)

Gry2Yng
Nov. 25, 2009, 05:29 PM
I said it on the other thread. Keep the JC name. Even when they are HORRENDOUS they grow on you. It took quite a bit of research, even with the internet, but my grey (who must have been born black) was named Little Grundoon. Turns out this is the baby groundhog from a 1950's comic strip called Pogo. Previous owners had all called him Brigadoon and he had a not so pleasant history, he had about 10 owners in 10 years. So I changed it back to JC name and have owned him for 12 years. I love his name. (ike in the barn - his previous barn name was Doon. How bad is THAT!)

To the PP, glad you got Wee Dee Trrr, saw him on the listings. Congrats.

JWB
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
Usually I'm a huge fan of keeping and using registered names. In this case, it sounds like you lucked out and got a good one but I've known some really awful registered names too - and in that case, it was better to change:

SuperToots
Half Hearted Love
Red Boy

yellowbritches
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:57 PM
As others have said, it is very simple to change his name with USEA and you won't "lose" his record. I think it costs $25.

We sold a horse a few years ago who was competed under the name we sold her as. She was sold on and was actually competed under her "old" name for awhile, then it was changed. You can still look her up, and her whole record comes up. It's the number that's the important part!

I like the JC name, but I am often partial to them.

ss3777
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:39 PM
Love Holy Natural....Congrats on your new horse.

PhoenixFarm
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:05 PM
I did the same thing--bought a horse with a show name I didn't love (very un-original name for a gray horse--there were like 18 of them registered with the USEA) and then got his JC papers and really liked his JC name (Western Jubilee--I was a west coast native living not totally happy in the east so it fit my feelings), plus it alluded to his grandfather Gone West who I LOVED.

So I paid my $25, and changed him "back" to his JC name. I don't know if the old owner cared about it one way or another (she was happy to be rid of him, not a good fit).

kcrubin
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:35 PM
I agree that it would be polite to let the old owner know of the name change.

I also agree with the preference for the jc name although I always feel weird about changing names. My horses definitely know their barn names so if I did change it I would really work on teaching it to them.

chism
Nov. 26, 2009, 08:12 AM
If you want to name him something else, you can still keep his record. The USEA (at least last year) allowed name changes, and the fee was something like $25. That way you can keep his record, and name him whatever makes you happy!

Congrats on your new horse!

MHO---- Do this.
I like to keep their JC name for continuity. Ex racers can and do go on to fabulous careers in second sports and I like to think mine stay in touch with their roots. lol

subk
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
USEA has 29 "Jacksons" plus a ton of names with Jackson in it.

Zero "Holy Naturals!"

Beam Me Up
Nov. 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Usually I'm a huge fan of keeping and using registered names. In this case, it sounds like you lucked out and got a good one but I've known some really awful registered names too - and in that case, it was better to change:

SuperToots
Half Hearted Love
Red Boy

I feel ya.
I was forced to change "Sad Sack" and "Charging Holme."

Vitriolic
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
I love Holy Natural and really love it when people use their JC names for other endeavors. Just think how no one with relations to Courageous Comet would have known watching him in the Olympics if he had a name change.

If it isn't hideous,it can help rehome horses who are done with the track too. If someone has a sibling to your horse, they might let you know as they will be aware of how it is doing in another field. It is nice when you are trying to sell a prospect, if you can safely say siblings, or ones by the same sire are successful. :)