PDA

View Full Version : "Conditioning Sport Horses" HM Clayton

Gry2Yng
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:17 PM
OMG! I am in love with this book. It arrived in the mail three minutes ago, and I have skimmed enough graphs, TOC, select text to know that I am in LOVE with this book. (Found it while looking at books on the hoof.) She actually has a chart that shows the range of motion of the intervertebral joints. She has a whole chapter on strength training for horses. She even has a nice little routine for daily palpation of the lower limbs. (I have to admit I am ad hoc about this and should have a routine.)

Blugal
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:31 PM
Gah. My Christmas list is already WAY too long.

Gry2Yng
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:34 PM
See PM.

Miriam
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:05 PM
I bought it while at the pony club bookstore in Lexington (WARNING: DO NOT GO INTO STORE WITHOUT A BUDGET) for Midsouth in October, and I also LOVE IT! I really wish I'd gotten it before the T3D, but at least I'll have it before the P3D next year.

I also really enjoyed reading the chapters for the other disciplines. It was interesting to hear about the combined driving horses, for example.

Kairoshorses
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:31 PM
Ok, Since my next goal IS a T3D, is this the book that will help me get my big ISH in shape??

Gry2Yng
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
Ok, Since my next goal IS a T3D, is this the book that will help me get my big ISH in shape??

It should give you some really good information.

GotSpots
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:47 AM
Sounds fantastic. Gry, if you decide to play Santa... ;)

Saskatoonian
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:56 AM
This book is awesome - it gives you a framework for thinking about progressive conditioning not only with standards like trot set interval training but gridwork, strength training, etc. Really, really useful.

klicup
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:46 PM
I love the book as well, but I could only ever find it in paperback and it was $40+ at that! Did you find it in hardcover?

Gry2Yng
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:20 PM
No, paperback. $37 including shipping from reseller on Amazon.

ETA: Hmmm. Looking at the invoice, looks like I bought direct from the author. Must explain why the shipping was so fantastic.

Kairoshorses
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
Yikes. Just looked it up on half.com...cheapest was $39.00...and it went all the way up to $131.71!!!

Hony
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
This site has excerpts from the book and has some really good conditioning information.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs6942