View Full Version : How do I get a copy of my horse's papers?

Crown Royal
Nov. 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have a 1997 TB gelding I bought about 2 years ago from a girl who didn't have his papers. Does anyone know how to get a copy of them? Also, on the bill of sale between us, I believe it says his barn name (Lexus), not his registered name. Would that be a major problem in obtaining the papers?

This is his information:

Horse Name: Set Dance
Tattoo: A26312
Year of Birth: 1997
Dam Name: Dundalk Lass
Sire Name: Phantom Jet
Color: Dark Bay or Brown
Sex: Gelding


Nov. 24, 2009, 04:07 PM
You might as well forget about getting the papers. It will take an act of god. If you really want to know how, you must have a notorized letter from the previous owner saying why the papers were lost. the jockey club only cares about collecting the money to register a horse, they could give two ______ that you bought the horse and want a new set of papers.

Nov. 24, 2009, 04:19 PM
I 2nd what DickHertz said...never gonna happen...

Nov. 24, 2009, 07:25 PM
And then the $400 replacement fee after they accept your notorized letter to get them. It's indeed a lost cause. Thoroughbred papers are not exactly "registry" papers, they are for racing purposes only. Sorry :(

Nov. 24, 2009, 08:40 PM
Its actually $150 replacement fee but yeah, you do have to have a notarized statement from the previous owner stating how the papers were lost or destroyed. Having the papers are not proof of ownership anyway. Your bill of sale is much more valuable as far as that goes. You can easily get his pedigree from brisnet if that helps any.

Nov. 24, 2009, 08:59 PM
I am definitely not trying to sounds rude, but if you're not going to race him, what point is there in having a gelding's papers?