PDA

View Full Version : Frank Chapot

Cadre Noir
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:24 PM
Anyone ever ridden or worked for Frank Chapot? I'm aware of his legendary achievements and of course the fantastic horses he produces, but I don't know anything about the man personally. Is he good to work for? Does he treat his staff/grooms with respect? Is his barn full of happy horses? Only asking because I may have the opportunity to groom for him at WEF and would just like to know what I would be getting into.

Thank you for all your helpful replies!!

MyGiantPony
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
Do it.

It will be hard work, but worth every 30 hour day you put in.

Drummerboy
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Wear very comfortable shoes that can get wet from a zillion baths, have the horses where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be, follow directions, and be ok with long long days.

Just remember, this is not a position for a newbie, if you are grooming for him. Make sure you are competant, self sufficient. If you are, you'll be fine!

JinxyFish313
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:48 PM
Lucky you!

hellerkm
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:52 PM
Lucky you!
YES what she said!!!! Lucky Duck!!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 24, 2009, 04:00 PM
I worked for him a long time ago. Great family to work for. No politics (no screaming at people just to scream at them etc.) ...just a true horseman family. I learned a ton in my time there.

Yes..go work for them if you have the chance.

BAC
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:07 PM
And I see in the Eventing forum you also have an opportunity with Hilda Donahue. I don't know anything about her but I would have jumped at the chance to work for Frank Chapot when I was younger. Let us know what your decision is.

Cadre Noir
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yes, I had both opportunities pretty much come up at the same time. There are pros and cons to both, but I wanted to get some public feedback before I made up my mind. :)

JOBEAN
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
Do it!! They are a great family.

suniday
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:21 AM
PM TapToTango if you can. She was with his barn for at least 1 - 2 years fairly recently. From what she has posted on this BB she had a really good experience with them.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
Suniday is right. I rode/worked with them for a few years. Best experience of my life! I have never ridden so well and if it wasn't for me still needing to finish college I would have stayed there. Laura helped me bring along my young horse from doing 2foot stuff to jumping on the international field in Wellington. Frank is a man of few words but what he does say will stick with you forever. I used to love getting up early and doing chores first just so I could watch him flat some horses in the morning. He also has some of the funniest stories I've ever heard and willl make you laugh till your stomach hurts! Mary is also super helpful and does a great job running the barn. Another great thing about them is their clients. They are really nice and like to help out with their horses. It really is a team effort and I can't say enough nice things about their program. If you are just going down for WEF you probably won't have a much a chance to ride except for maybe hacking a horse on monday/tuesday but you will still be able to learn a lot. It is a little different from most other BNT barns in the way of grooming. All the grooms pretty much work together and aren't assignened specific horses.(Although you will develop your favorites fast!) It still works out really well though! PM me if you have any other questions.

Clarence
Nov. 25, 2009, 07:18 PM
Very interesting Tap2Tango.

Care to expand on his flatwork riding? I am always interested in that. And I am sure many others as well. I love his book too.

Cadre Noir
Nov. 29, 2009, 11:19 PM
Thank you so much Tap2Tango for telling about your experience! Chado Farm sounds like a wonderful place to work and so I've made my decision to try to obtain a (paying!) position with them instead of doing a working student gig. My interview is next week, I will spent a day and half on the farm, staying with the other grooms, and getting to know the whole operation. I'm so excited! Even though I've done Eventing my whole life and identify as an "eventer," I've always wanted to work a season of WEF and try my hand at one of the other Olympic disciplines. My show jumping skills need a lot of work anyways......so here's hoping that it will be a good match!! :)

OAK
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:00 PM
How much help does now have working? He use to have only tree people working in the barn. Are you coming to NJ or FL?

Cadre Noir
Nov. 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
I have no idea how many he has working for him at the moment.This position I'm interviewing for is primarily a temporary one -extra help during WEF- with the option to continue with the farm afterwards.

OAK
Nov. 30, 2009, 05:48 PM
Keep us updated on how you make out with this. It might be interesting reading.

FliteQH
Dec. 3, 2009, 02:11 PM
FYI to all - This position is still open for applicants, I believe. Someone recently sent an Email to me about this job and then it was listed on Yard and Groom about 2 weeks ago.

OAK
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
So how did it go ????????

Cadre Noir
Dec. 11, 2009, 02:07 PM
Just an update to let everyone that I got the job and am going with the farm to Florida in January! I am so excited, I can't wait to start! The interview went really well last week, I loved meeting the family and the other grooms and I have high hopes that this will be a really good match. I'm also super excited about moving back up to the NorthEast after WEF because I have so many friends in the NY/MA area whom I've only been able to visit very rarely over the years. Great horses, great people, close to old friends....what's not to love about this gig?? :D

Thanks to all for your well wishes and support!!

BAC
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:06 PM
Congratulations, how exciting. I hope you have time to give us occasional updates from "behind the scenes," I have been an admirer of Frank and Mary since I was a junior watching both of them compete with the USET.