PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your eventer while you were pregnant?

summerly
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
Here's my dilema, need some opinions please.
Being as how I'm six months pregnant(yay) I am no longer riding at this point(boo). I have two amazing TB's both four yr olds, and they are super kids. Your non typical TB's, one Irish and the other a warmblood imposter. Both are super cool, very easy going and fun to ride with wonderful minds and attitudes. The Irish has shown very succesfully(sp?) with my trainer at a few shows this past summer and had been in full training at her place till I brought him back home in Sept. The other will follow suit but is a season behind but as equally cool and very talented to boot also. I had planned on just sending them back to trainer in spring but am now wanting to start both back in Dec @ my own farm before going back to trainers barn. So what can I do? Not interested in leasing. Should I pay somebody to come ride them and just that? I am trying to cut winter cost with bambino on way. I was thinking of maybe offering board for light riding for both boys. Does that seem resaonable to offer? We have a upscale private 85 acre facility in Southern CA, that's an eventers dream come true. I can offer full use of our facilities also which would include...a 14 x 16, fully matted stall with window in our modern 40 stall barn thats amazing, equiped with two tackrooms, two washstalls w/ hot & cold, horse laundry room, flyspray system and surveillance cameras, night watchmens quarters along with grooms. In addition individual 1/4 acre grass(yes grass, a rarity here in SoCal)turnout paddock, all day, 7 days a week, large arena with super footing and jumps, water and harrowed daily, small indoor arena(accesible from barn) for free jumping, cooling out, or turnout in rainy weather. Miles of trails with great footing and hills for strenghening, a half mile track for galloping that has a superior super safe surface, great for endurance. Also available are, 50ft roundpen, eurociser, aquatred, shockwave machine, vibration plate rehab system, and a Zamar cold/heat massage therapy unit. We have our own digital xray and ultrsound machines for diagnostics for injuries with our vet coming out to premises 3x per week. Accupuncture, chiro and massage therapists also make routine weekly calls. We bed deep on shavings, and have a awesome feed program which include high quality timothy and alfalfa. The horses have it good here! We offer and carry out a very high standard of horse care. My horses also have their own groom so it would be just basically tacking and the riding part. The boys are not problem childs and are both very mindfull, both started professionally and uncomplicated. That being said, what should I make sure I need to know about said individual if I do find somebody? I have never done this and don't know the finer details. Is it too much too ask that their horse carry some kind of insurance? Do I have them sign some kind of liability release for horse and/or rider? What should I want to know about this person? What should I ask besides riding ability and general references. Do I have them sign a contract? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SummerPiper
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:04 AM
I just had a baby at the end of August and had to deal with the same issues. I am fortunate enough to live in an area saturated with many young, upper level riders. I offered up a couple stalls at my farm, which is very nice, in exchange for riding my young horse. I got really lucky. The rider who came w/ her horses has jumped around rolex and is very nice, honest and dependable. I also paid for her to compete him some. I put nothing in writing but did have her sign a liability form as I do all people who ride on my property. It was mutually beneficial for both of us, she got a nice prelim horse to compete and I got a good rider to keep him going! Good luck and congratulations!

deltawave
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
Bred her (I am riding her daughter today). I also had leased her for a year before that because I was working 70 hours a week--that's an option, too.

Gry2Yng
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a nice deal for someone. I rode lightly until 7 months pregnant and got back on a week after my daughter was born. I moved to a full service h/j barn so that my horses would get worked and days when I just wasn't up to it.

VicariousRider
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:42 AM
Sounds like a fantastic deal for a young UL rider! I would call around to some good trainers in your area to let them know and see if they can recommend a specific student (who might have a horse at home that they otherwise have to ship to great training facilities like yours).

My advice would be to put it all in writing: what she (or he) will get in exchange for what you will get. Spell it out to a t. If you aren't sure exactly how much riding you want, etc. then I would recommend that you pay each other (she pays a flat boarding fee and you pay $x per ride) then, if one of yours get hurt or needs a break, you aren't paying for her horse's care in return for 1/2 the work you bargained for initially. The reciprocal pay option isn't as preferable for the young person (they might have cash-flow issues) but can keep you from getting the short end of the stick.

Also, once you find someone great, be clear about what you want: dressage, fitness, etc. And make sure that the UL kid has not just ridden UL packers (youngsters are a whole different ball of wax). I hired a friend (UL rider in her 20's) to ride our recently OTTB while I was on vacation. Apparently she had almost no experience with young/green horses. She tacked him up, got on, he spooked and bolted, she grabbed him in the face, he reared and she got off and put him away. When I got on him after that (after I returned from a relaxing break) he proceeded to do the bolt-snatch-rear for 3 months. I made a terrible mistake in thinking that she would be a well-rounded rider or good with greenies just because she had ridden at advanced (which I never have!).

Good luck and congratulations on your baby!

hey101
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:55 AM
First of all, big congrats! Where exactly are you in SoCal? There are plenty of well-known event trainers and facilities around, with most likely an unlimited supply of YR's just dying to ride your two boys. Plus if it is on your own place (which sounds amazing) then you can keep a close eye to make sure it's all a good match.

As for what I did with mine while pregnant... I rode her right up to the end. I jumped my last jump around 5 months, and had my last hard dressage lesson around 7.5-8 months (I carried very small) then I just spent the last month wandering on a loose rein around the farm and nearby trails a few times a week. My trainer kept her in hard work 2x week, I lunged her 2-3x week, and a friend of mine at the barn took her out on long trail rides 2x week.

I think you will figure out what is the right mix for you and your horses. It's pretty manageable to keep them in good work even when you are very pregnant. Or if it comes down to it, turn them out for a few months. They will love it and probably come back happier for it! I kind of regret not doing this with my horse for the last month of pregnancy/ first month of baby.

Nov. 24, 2009, 11:39 AM
Where in SoCal are you?

summerly
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:08 PM
We are located in La Cresta, which is a bit off the beaten path but worth the drive. Off the 15 you would exit Clinton Keith and about another ten minutes up into the hills to the farm. It's a very horsey friendly area as almost every property has horses! Very cool! I've also put the word to my trainer but wanted some more insight to come up with a good solution.

Nov. 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
i know where that is, i just went up to a clinic in La Cresta, lovely area!

summerly
Nov. 24, 2009, 05:56 PM
Indeed it is lovely up here. Horses thrive! Gotta love that.

Pascova
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:53 PM
For one child, I was fortunate enough to have a rider that I respected who needed a horse to compete (hers was lame). I let her ride my horse, paid for 2 or 3 competitions, and she kept him going and even moved him up a level for me.

For my 2nd child, I bred my mare when I bred myself...... her baby is now a 3 yold who is being started under saddle right now!

JumpingBug
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:57 PM
I rode him in a * star at 3 months and then hacked him except the last 2 plus months off. He got 2 months off and enjoyed 5 acres and then I was riding 2 weeks after having my baby