PDA

View Full Version : Horse treat recipes for horses who can't have sugar?

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:10 AM
My mom is making horse treats for the season, and one of the horses at our barn can't have sugar treats anymore :no::no::no:!!! She doesn't want him left out. He is "insulin resistant."

Does anyone have treat recipes for a horse like this? Otherwise, we don't know what to put in his stocking!

Thanks!

ddashaq
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:12 AM
Ted, I had the exact same question! I did find a site that recommended peanuts as a treat for IR horses. Anyone have any input on that idea?

Reindeer in TreatTraining
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:26 AM
No recipe but there is a horse in my barn that can't have sugar either and he gets sugar-free people peppermints (and loves them :yes: ) and his person decorates hay cubes with sugar free candies. No idea what she uses to stick the candies to the hay cube but I'll try and find out what.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks - any recipes for cookies would be great...I hate to leave a horse out of the merriment!

analise
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder if horses can have splenda?

moonriverfarm
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
Use no-sugar-added applesauce! If this is allowed I can send you a great recipe!

ddashaq
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
Use no-sugar-added applesauce! If this is allowed I can send you a great recipe!

Can you PM me the recipe? Thanks!:)

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:35 AM
Can you please post the recipe? It can't be just a few of us in this situation!

Claddagh
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
Here are a couple that I found awhile ago for a friend. I have never tried them (my crew has no problem with sugar) but I saved them for that *just in case* day. They all sound pretty good though :yes:.

Oat 'n' Apple Chewies

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
½ cup all purpose flour (approx.)

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350F

Oil a 9inch x 9inch square cake pan

Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. The batter will start to shrink away from the sides and it will be firm to the touch.

Slice into squares while still warm. Keep chewies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag.

MICROWAVE HORSE COOKIES

*** This recipe is not good for Insulin Resistant horses because it contains carrots. Maybe try substituting something else for the carrots.

2 cups flour
5 cups oatmeal
½ cup corn oil
1 clove garlic
1 cup diced carrots

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Make small balls and place on a microwavable plate. Flatten balls.
Bake on high for 6 minutes.

BRAN BITS (EASY! NO COOKING!)

4 cups Bran
4 cups unsweetened Applesauce

Mix together. Batter should be doughy. Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Let dry at room temperature a day or more.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:22 AM
THANKS!!

Claddagh
Nov. 24, 2009, 12:11 PM
You're very welcome! :)

Hey, if you try any of them will you let me know how they turn out - and most importantly, do the horses LIKE them? :D

Thanks back at you!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 24, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks! I'll have Ted, the ultimate taste tester, try them out first and let you know!

Claddagh
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:14 PM
Great! Looking forward to hearing from Ted. :winkgrin:

moonriverfarm
Nov. 24, 2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone who would like to see the finished product - look at my webshots under "farm life" and you will see a pan fresh out of the oven!
PS - dogs LOVE them too!

Trails
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:59 PM
Microwave Cookies Recipe

May I suggest you leave out the cup of carrots. There must be something that could be substituted as carrots are a no-no for IR horses. If you go a grocery store that has a diabetic section you might find a tasty substitute.

HenryisBlaisin'
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think you can use stevia as a sugar replacement (Truvia etc.)in any recipe. Withers & Withers makes a treat for IR horses and they are sweetened with stevia. I use it myself and I think it's equal measurement.

HenryisBlaisin'
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:12 PM
And I read through the recipes-I might try some. Though I read through them too fast the first time and wondered why I would feed my horse "BRAIN BITS":lol:

Claddagh
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:25 PM
Microwave Cookies Recipe

May I suggest you leave out the cup of carrots. There must be something that could be substituted as carrots are a no-no for IR horses. If you go a grocery store that has a diabetic section you might find a tasty substitute.

THANK YOU for pointing this out. I posted these recipes because they have no sugar or molasses in them, Didn't think about the carrots as being off limits for IR horses.

So thanks again for the *heads up*. I will edit my recipe post to reflect this.

ddashaq
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:35 PM
OK, I got an excellent recipe from moonriverfarm that has no-sugar-added applesauce in it. Does anyone know if apples are a no-no for IR horses? I would prefer not to inadvertently cause trouble for Shaq's giftee.

Thanks again, mooniverfarm, those cookies look SO yummy!

Polydor
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:43 PM
May have to try some of these for my secret santa.

Ted please report back on the treats! :D

P.

Alagirl
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:47 PM
What's wrong with apples and carrots? :confused:

murphyluv
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:02 PM
for those who don't want to make treats, Skodes makes cookies and mixes that are herbal- no sugar. Even my VERY picky eater loved quite a few of them. They will also send samples.

Woodland
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:15 PM
Well Ted, my favorites are Beetcilcles.

Spray a container with PAM. Mix up 1/3 beet pulp to 2/3 water. Add chopped veggies Stir GOOD! Freeze over night. Pop out into a rubber tub in the AM and they enjoy them all day long! Works great using bran or alfalfa cubes too! Sure is a boredom buster on those l-o-n-g cold indoor days!

Chief2
Nov. 25, 2009, 01:39 AM
I copied this from a recipe by Equineartworks she posted last year. In it she says you can leave out the molasses/honey and no one will care.

Here it is:
"I just made these ans the horses and dogs are following me around like I'm the horse treat Goddess.

4 cups oats (no quick cook, just regular)
1 28 ounce can pumpkin
2 cups water
2 tsps baking power
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (you can use regular whole wheat flour too, but decrease to 1-3/4 cups)
2 tsps cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey or molasses (i skipped it in the second batch and no one cared )

Mix the pumpkin and water together, then add the oats, the flour and the spices, then blend in the molasses/honey. Drop by tablespoons and bake in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.

I used everything organic, but non-organic is just fine too

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 25, 2009, 02:09 AM
The plan is to try one of the recipies this weekend. We'll let you know!

Thomas_1
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:44 AM
Not peanuts!!!

Try chopped carrots and swede or a handful of grass and a pat on the neck and a good long and thorough grooming.

ddashaq
Nov. 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Thomas! I was not sold on the peanuts idea, but not having an IR horse myself, I have no idea what their feed restrictions are. Unfortunately, I have to send my treats across the country so carrots, grass, and swede are out. I think that I will try a couple of the recipes this weekend and I have a barn full of eager taste testers. Thanks all!:)

Trails
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:41 PM
Apples and carrots are both not recommended for IR horses. They say you can feed a small amount of apple as there is less sugar in apples. This statement below is for cushings.

" There should be no other sources of sugar for these horses: no grain products, no senior feed,
no carrots, no apples, no manufactured treats."
http://www.myfineequine.com/cush.htm

slpeders
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:17 PM
My mare got Skode's snacks (she loved ALL the blends -- not picky at all), parsley (LOVED it!!), celery (occasionally), and she adored raw sunflower seeds. My current mare is not IR but loved the Withers and Withers IR treats too, and we did the bran bits last year with regular applesauce, but sugar-free would be best for an IR horse. It took quite a while to dry it out at my house so I baked it at 200 degrees to help it along... :)

nightsong
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
I was going to suggest a 'people' recipe for sugar-free oatmeal cookies, with chopped apple added.

snbess
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:58 AM
I tried the Apple & Oat chewies and Bess was pleased. Hopefully her secret santa giftee will be, too! ;)

clm08
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
Is the no-sugar applesauce part in the recipes still be OK for IR horses? Apples contain natural sugars, so I was wondering how much they can have.

sublimequine
Nov. 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hilton's Herballs are good for IR horses as well, Smartpak even sells them now! Yay for Smartpak. :)

cordial
Nov. 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Here are a couple that I found awhile ago for a friend. I have never tried them (my crew has no problem with sugar) but I saved them for that *just in case* day. They all sound pretty good though :yes:.

Oat 'n' Apple Chewies

INGREDIENTS:

1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup oat bran cereal or ground oatmeal
½ cup all purpose flour (approx.)

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350F

Oil a 9inch x 9inch square cake pan

Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. The batter will start to shrink away from the sides and it will be firm to the touch.

Slice into squares while still warm. Keep chewies in the refrigerator in an air-tight container or bag.

MICROWAVE HORSE COOKIES

*** This recipe is not good for Insulin Resistant horses because it contains carrots. Maybe try substituting something else for the carrots.

2 cups flour
5 cups oatmeal
½ cup corn oil
1 clove garlic
1 cup diced carrots

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Make small balls and place on a microwavable plate. Flatten balls.
Bake on high for 6 minutes.

BRAN BITS (EASY! NO COOKING!)

4 cups Bran
4 cups unsweetened Applesauce

Mix together. Batter should be doughy. Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Let dry at room temperature a day or more.

Thanks for these great tips for sugar-free treats. We have a fairly old horse that a few years ago had colic surgery and we like to watch is sugar-intake.