PDA

View Full Version : My ride with Will Coleman this weekend...

purplnurpl
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:38 PM
Will hasn't really broken into the "give clinics every month" crew so I thought I would give him a shout out.

Clinics I've ridden in to date:
Lucinda Green
Bobby Costello
Jim Graham
Mary D'Arcy
Carsten Meyer
Don Sachey (sp?)

Will topped them all.
If you ever have a chance to clinic with him DO IT!

He's quiet and patient but firm.
I loved his teaching style and personality.

When I attend clinics I usually expect to take home one small tid bit of information. Will was the first clinician that actually sent me home a better rider. PERIOD. And he sent me home with a TON to work on.

Now there were several riders in the clinic that were really not open to his ways and I'm sure they did not feel the benefit, but if you are up for riding with no reins or stirrups then buck up and catch him.

I went in thinking I was a pretty solid rider and learned that I actually had sucky leg position, was a gumby girl, had stiff arms and lacked concentration. I came out with a relatively (more) solid leg and a much better feel of the horse. My 4 year old's jump also improved greatly with my bit of style change.

It was really awesome. I'm sad that I don't have a personal Will in my back yard to drill me every day. : (

I'm sure Terry's Mom will chime in. She rode this weekend also. : )

texaseventer
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'd like to have a personal Will in my backyard too... oh, sorry, I digress. ;)

I rode with him earlier this year and loved it also. I think he has amazing potential as a teacher for one so young. He is patient and very confident in his teaching style. Loved it!

caffeinated
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
and, since I'm shameless, he is offering a lesson in our auction :)

Which is over in 45 minutes.

and can be accessed via the link in my signature.

:)

Kairoshorses
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for sharing, Purp! He sounds really great!

CookiePony
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Will put him on my list!

So if you are Gumby Girl, then Harry is Pokey? :p

RunForIt
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:20 PM
and, since I'm shameless, he is offering a lesson in our auction :)

Which is over in 45 minutes.

and can be accessed via the link in my signature.

:)

How do i bid? I'm registered, but can't figure out how to place a bid!!!!! :eek:

Scaramouch
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
I think bidding closed like two hours ago ....

Terrysmom
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:44 PM
The first time he came here, I was his jump crew and felt like I had learned a lot just by auditing and seeing how he sized up a rider and helped them work on their faults. But that was nothing when I compare it to how I felt after this weekend.

I am in the process of rehabbing from an illness that basically stretched over 2 years and still is a daily companion. So I was a little apprehensive about coming to the clinic fitness wise, however, Will was very understanding when I explained before my dressage lesson on Friday and then proceeded to help me get rid of at least 5 bad habits in the next 45 minutes.

I left that lesson with my mare happily coming thru from behind solidly, I was working "with her", she did 10m canter circles each direction (which I would never have believed before our lesson) and left with that swinging walk I thought i had lost forever.

Saturday and Sunday (jump days), as Kristen said he was kind but strong. He turned on my "light bulb" by showing me that the thing wrong with our jumping was that i had lost my perspective and my trust in my mare. Obviously my fitness was an issue because I was leaning on my hands to balance and if Will said it once, if not more--the horse's job is not to hold you up. You hold yourself up. His focus was almost always on the riders and not on the horses. It amazing how many of the horses "issues" disappeared when he got the riders working better.

Kristen's Harry was amazing in his transformation. It was beautiful to watch him go from a slightly shaky to very strong and confident on Sunday.

He pressed on all of us that our balance, our strength/fitness to stay with our horses, and our concentration are what is needed to be successful. He took away everyone's stirrups and had us do transitions in two point w/o stirrups to show us how much we do not rely on our bodies but use the failsafe position like the sitting in the saddle or using the reins for simple transitions. Or as Kristen mentioned a lot of riders who seem to have great positions, he would test that position to see if it was a real working position or just pretty to look at. A lot of riders were surprised how "lazy" that had gotten with their positions.

I was over the moon to hear from Cindy that he may be able to return next May. I have a lot of no stirrup work to do.

Terrysmom
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:48 PM
Oh and I must add. The Texas Rose Horse Park is a beautiful facility. They are building some of the most beautiful xc fences there and the terrain :D. it is an eventer's paradise. :)

I can't wait til the horse trials next year. It will be an great addition to add the Texas events.

archieflies
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:04 PM
Do they have a HT planned already? Wow, the XC course seems to be goign so fast. It's only been a week or so wince I found out it was even being planned!

Terrysmom
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:27 PM
They had several fences of varying levels right along the fence line as you enter. While we were doing our clinic there were several people who had trailered in to school cross country.

purplnurpl
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
Or as Kristen mentioned a lot of riders who seem to have great positions, he would test that position to see if it was a real working position or just pretty to look at.

lol. I would be example A.
he so kindly mentioned to me how my still photos probably look great but they most likely give me a false reading. My position isn't as solid as it looks.
I felt quite 'with it' on Sunday though. : )

ForTheLoveOfIt
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
I wish Emily Beshear would give more clinics, I've had a couple lessons from her and she is a gifted teacher as well. Positive attitude, encouraging, and patient. Does anyone know if she has clinics planned anytime soon?

purplnurpl
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
I wish Emily Beshear would give more clinics, I've had a couple lessons from her and she is a gifted teacher as well. Positive attitude, encouraging, and patient. Does anyone know if she has clinics planned anytime soon?

random.