PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on new whip rules

FatDinah
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
Here is a indepth piece on new whip rules:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=4671332

I have never ridden a racehorse but I can empathize with some of the jockeys' misgivings.
Non-horse people do misunderstand why you use a whip, they translate to like spanking a child. (Same with spurs)
And horses are so different: I have one so sensitive that if you twitched your whip hand, she'd jump and my daughter's event packer who periodically needed some healthy smacks to stop ignoring the leg.

tuxtin
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:23 PM
i'm curious to find out what whip victor espinoza was using when he was fined by the stewards:

Jockey VICTOR ESPINOZA is fined FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500.00)* for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1688(Use of Whips-causing welts or break in the skin) during the running of the third race at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club on September 4, 2009.

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Rulings_Santa_Anita/Ruling_SA_09_10_12.pdf

del mar's house rule on the new whip took affect on august 12, 2009. espinoza was fined for a race that occurred on september 4, 2009. he should have been using the new whip, was he? i'll see if i can find out....

Glimmerglass
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:32 PM
It can be a costly error - ask Chantal Sutherland or better yet ask the owner of her winning mount who was DQ'd and had to forfeit the purse. [In her defense it was the same day the rules took affect at Woodbine] Although to the point of rules being in place for a few months then a violation occurring that sounds like a different problem.

DRF Sep 4, 2009 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/106986.html)

Sans Sousi, who won the second race here Wednesday evening, has been disqualified and placed ninth and last after her jockey, Chantal Sutherland, was found to have carried an illegal whip.

The disqualification cost Sans Sousi's owners, Thor Eaton and trainer Mike Doyle, the $40,080 winner's share. Doyle says he plans to appeal the ruling.

The Ontario Racing Commission's new whip rules, which require all jockeys to use a shorter and cushioned version of the traditional whip, had gone into effect on Sept. 1, and Wednesday's card was the first at Woodbine under the new regulations.

The new rules state that "use of a riding crop in a race where the riding crop has not been approved by the stewards or does not meet the requirements of the rule will lead to the disqualification of the horse."

Bill McMahon, senior steward for the Ontario Racing Commission, was on duty Wednesday evening and presided over a hearing into the matter here on Friday morning.

"Chantal carried the wrong whip out of the jockeys' room, and was informed of that by one of the other riders when on the racetrack," said McMahon.

"She gave her whip to one of the outriders, and picked up another whip at the gate."

Unfortunately, the extra whip which is kept at the gate along with some other common equipment also was the old and now- illegal version.

"The guys at the gate told me to go ahead and use it," said Sutherland. "If I rode without a whip, I was going to get days."

[snip]

McMahon acknowledged that the racing commission had allowed a two-week grace period on some of the new whip rules, such as the one that limits use to three consecutive strikes.

"We didn't feel a grace period was in order for this one," he said.

Sutherland was fined $200.

"I know I made a mistake, and I'm going to pay my fine," said Sutherland.

tuxtin
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:27 PM
i had read about sutherland's incident.

espinoza was using the new whip. while they are safer they can still cause injuries (he did have two other fines during the meet for the same offense with the old whip). to date, he is the only jockey who has been fined while using the new whip.

sk_pacer
Nov. 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
It can be a costly error - ask Chantal Sutherland or better yet ask the owner of her winning mount who was DQ'd and had to forfeit the purse. [In her defense it was the same day the rules took affect at Woodbine] Although to the point of rules being in place for a few months then a violation occurring that sounds like a different problem.

DRF Sep 4, 2009 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/106986.html)

there IS no grace period, and sometimes. apparently, no warning with WEG (Woodbine Entertainment Group) and ORC; they are always right and appeals seem to be a waste of time. One just has to look at the long list of fines and suspensions on the WEG site. Rule changes there sometimes seem to appear out of thin air.

Las Olas
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
France: A rider who whips his horse more than eight times in a race will be suspended or fined. The rider may also be sanctioned if he uses his whip with great force or when the horse is only 2 years old.

So, you can slaughter them and eat them, but God help you if you whip them.