PDA

View Full Version : Lovely Story on Today Show-Warning Grab the Kleenex

eventersmom
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:56 AM
The Today Show just aired a lovely story about a Pony Clubber dealing with cancer and how her horse helped her get through the tough times. What a brave girl with a wonderful and loving support team. Big kudos to her trainer who seemed to know how to help. Grab the Kleenex.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/34106347#34106347

RunForIt
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
The Today Show just aired a lovely story about a Pony Clubber dealing with cancer and how her horse helped her get through the tough times. What a brave girl with a wonderful and loving support team. Big kudos to her trainer who seemed to know how to help. Grab the Kleenex.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/34106347#34106347

I was just about to post the link myself...but couldn't even see the keyboard for the tears....lots and lots of reasons here to be thankful and to send $$$$ to St. Jude Hospital!!!!

RAyers
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
It was a great story. I suggest going beyond just St. Jude!

One of my graduate students, Matt, also had lymphoma when he was 16. He still wears the wrist bands that were made for him when he was in the hospital. He now is a counselor for kids in remission except he uses mountain sports as his method (First Descents: http://www.firstdescents.org/team-beyond-cancer). This is his video and his picture.

These kids are amazing. Period.

Reed

ridingmel924
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
What a great story! So glad to see her back in the saddle!

event1
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for posting that...I had meant to watch it and forgot it was on-thanks again. What a brave and strong girl and so inspiring. Makes us rethink our own lives and what is really important. Hopefully she will continue to stay healthy and keep competing!!:)

BBowen
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
St. Jude is remarkable!!!! Hubby and I contribute to them every year. The doctors and staff are truly special people.

MintHillFarm
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:51 PM
Thank you for posting the link.
Great story with a happy ending! Hope she and her horse have many wonderful years together:)

mcorbett
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
I met Elizabeth and Candy a couple summers ago while I was a working student for Jim Graham. They truely are what they were represented to be in this story.
Elizabeth is a sweet, well mannered girl who is also a great rider. Her mom is also a true southern belle, gracious and warm.
Candy is a bend-over-backwards for you person who is a great rider and fabulous coach.
Montini is a sweetheart and is the perfect match for Elizabeth.

Good luck! Keep riding! We are proud of you!

JFS
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
A very touching story and so nice to see on national news. I don't think the average person realizes the therapeutic value of the horse both mentally and physically. I just got a diagnosis of stenosis of the spine at C 6 & C 7 which is causing pain in the shoulder and numbness in my fingers and arm. I told the doc that I was most comfortable when riding. He smiled as I explained my theory and probably thought I was nuts :) When I mentioned it again today he seems to be getting it a little if for no other reason that I enjoy riding and it keeps my mind off the discomfort. He may be right tut I think the way that you have to carry yourself balanced and centered and the constant gentle movement is part of the reason as well

Anyway, my sister-in-law developed a type of lymphoma when she was 16 and was treated at St. Jude's. Twenty 26 years later we still make a contribution to St. Jude's every year. Suz is now a healthy 42 year old with two kids!! They do perform miracles.

Jackie

eventingismylife
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you so much for posting this, it means so much to have seen this. I am glad that she is doing so much better and is able to live her life the way she wants to. :) It is truly a miracle all in itself.

Sharon
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:34 PM
What a wonderful way to express the connection with a special horse.
I hope that she is always able to draw strength from her horse.

CookiePony
Nov. 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you for posting that link-- I had wanted to see it this morning but missed it. What an inspiring story!