PDA

View Full Version : Yearling conformation

lrkrame2
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
What do you guys look for when looking at yearling's for racing prospects?

What conformation faults cause you to run away, and what ones can you live with?

I went and looked at one on Saturday and of course he had his faults but since I'm new in the "buying a baby" process I wanted some outside opinions..

I will post some pictures of this baby for you guys to eval. later on today.. He was cute- going to be big ( already 15.1-.2 ish) but is sportin some cow hocks and other fun things.. However the price is fairly inexpensive... I will post a few pictures later..

LaurieB
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:26 AM
I look for an athlete. The first thing I want to see is a really great walk. I also like a horse that looks bright and interested in his surroundings.

I know neither of those things are about conformation specifically but it has been our experience that an athlete with the right temperament can compensate for all kinds of physical flaws on the track.

So if I liked other things about a yearling enough, I can't think of any particular fault that would be a deal breaker for me--though I suppose that a combination of several different problems in the legs and feet would probably make me think twice.

lrkrame2
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
He was extremely sweet and easy to handle. I have to get a cord for my camera because I wanted to see him on the 'big screen' before I make to many comments on his movement but it looks decent enough..

Here is the link to the photo's.. the farm was nasty, and you'll have to look through the thick winter coat cause he lives outside with a few 'grown-up' horses. http://yearlings.shutterfly.com/26

Its hard looking at yearlings because they're in a funky growth and development stage so I know to keep an open mind in that regard...

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm personally not a fan... He is very post legged and cow hocked. I don't mind slightly cow hocked but this guy is considerably cow hocked. His pasterns are a hair long, his head is coarse, and he is overall just very plain. These were just some things that jumped out at me at first glance- didn't do a real thorough look, as personally based on his hind end alone I'd pass. Shame you are in Michigan- could have gotten yourself a real nicely bred and put together yearling at Keeneland Sept... for probably $1000 or close to it.... lots went for very very little (even in book 1!) so if this guy is expensive, I'd pass- there are so many nice youngsters out there right now that can be had for peanuts. JMHO.

NancyM
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
I like to see more angulation in the hind limbs, right from the top in his hip assembly, stifle, and including the hock. Length of bones, and angulation, with good muscling. This colt doesn't have this, IMO. Limited engine potential. Looks like a sweetie though, riding riding horse prospect.

lrkrame2
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:41 AM
thanks!

We are looking at some others tonight from a breeder down the road from us.. Hopefully they'll fit the bill a little better!

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
Good luck!! :-)

lrkrame2
Nov. 24, 2009, 09:08 AM
I think I found one!!!

she's a bay filly by Demaloot Demashoot out of a Pancho Villa mare..

If we do end up with her I'll post a few pics later!

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:43 AM
Awesome!

Las Olas
Nov. 24, 2009, 11:44 AM
The deal breakers for me are long pasterns, back at the knee, curbed hocks and a >1 clubbed foot. I'm also not a fan of long backs. Everything else I could live with if the horse has scope and class.