PDA

View Full Version : Japan Cup

vineyridge
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
I just saw a news source that said Summer Bird would be running in the Japan Cup dirt which is December 6th. The turf on November 29th is 2400 meters, which is a mile and a half. Would the dirt be the same length?

Glimmerglass
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:46 AM
As an aside - two well known US riders will be there taking part:

Calvin Borel and Garrett Gomez will represent the United States in the World Super Jockey Series at Hanshin racecourse in Japan on Dec. 5 and 6. The top seven flat riders in Japan will take on an overseas continent of eight riders in the event that is in its 23rd year.

mroades
Nov. 28, 2009, 10:01 PM
That stinks about Summer Bird, will he be retired?

Any picks for the Cup Drum???

JER
Nov. 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
I'd love to see Vodka win this year. With Christophe Lemaire up. Wow. (Take opted to ride Reach the Crown.)

Iron Horse Farm
Nov. 29, 2009, 12:25 AM
Just heard that it is a fetlock chip. Retirement decision pending.

JER
Nov. 29, 2009, 02:32 AM
:):):)

Okay...

the replay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkyDhlYLSvg)

WinterTriangle
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:05 PM
Possible run in the Arima Kinen
She got a nosebleed during the Japan Cup. JRA makes you take a full month off for that, so she will miss the Arima Kinen.

What a great race! Lemaire really was the right choice, trainer noted she relaxed nicely under him. Very nice ride.

The cheering and roaring of the crowds when they put her number up as the winner was GREAT! Er, even 5-10 minutes later, the crowd was still cheering. Vodka looked gorgeous on the track.

I love Japanese racing. 98,000 people for this card.....down from last year. :eek: Nice 16-18 field races. I like the way they do things there.

She has quite an impressive race record. My dream race, (all things being equal somehow if they all actually liked the same surface, distance, etc.):

Rachel Alexandra
Zenyatta
Vodka
Zarkava
Ventura

Clearly, if you want a female to beat the boys, you have to add an "a" to the end of their name. :)

ONLY disappointment was Logi Universe being scratched. Look up the pedigree on this one.......born 2006 race record 6-5-0-0 (includes G1 and G2 plus stakes races). Sire Neo Universe, a son of Sunday Silence, etc.

Hope he comes over here!!!!!

Gestalt
Nov. 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
Was the replay already posted, here it is in case I missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVlB7cL9WM

It looks like Vodka runs with her tongue hanging out, anybody else notice that or am I seeing things? I saw red ribbons on a couple of tails and I think one white one. Do the ribbons mean the same thing in Japan as here?

Wow Oken Bruce Lee looked like he could run for another couple of miles! Great race, I'm glad the favorite won, the crowd went wild. :)

Larksmom
Nov. 29, 2010, 12:18 PM
I try to watch when we infrequently get the Japanese racing, but has anyone else noticed how GORGEOUS those horses are? My goodness!:eek: I have noticed this before, but what I really noticed this last weekend, was the walk. Enough overstep to make a Dressage person weep. GREAT walk.

One thing I have noticed about American racing, and this isn't a complaint as I don't think if affects the racing, but when they are parading in US, it seems to me they have short choppy walks. But these horses are BEAUTIFUL. Not saying they can run but really beautiful horses with a lovely walk. There will be more racing this weekend if anyone hasn't seen it and is interested. I think at Han Shin race course, which is also GORGEOUS! Like the above poster said, 18 horses in most of the big races, on beautiful courses.

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 30, 2010, 09:27 AM
Replay of this year's controversial running of the Japan Cup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiqpnU88jM

Harsh decision to DQ the winner. From an owner's point of view I guess if you're going to have your horse taken down it's nice to have your other horse in 2nd place! Eases the pain a little.
Looks like the Japanese have another super filly in Buena Vista.

Drvmb1ggl3
Dec. 26, 2010, 01:50 AM
B-U-E-N-A . V-I-S-T-A :eek: :eek:

Man, another heart stopping loss for this amazing filly. Came like an absolute freight train but got pipped on the line in the Arima Kinen G1 by the 3yo colt Victoire Pisa.

Holy Moley, that was some run!!!:eek:
Has to be considered up there with Vodka (and Zenyatta, and Goldi and Snow Fairy). Super filly.
She now has over $10m in earnings. If she hadn't been DQed in the Japan Cup (and in many jurisdictions she wouldn't have been) and had got her nose up today, she be close to what.. $14-15m??? Crazy money.

Drvmb1ggl3
Dec. 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
Replay of yesterday's (today's??, last night's??) Arima Kinen G1, 12.5f, Japan's big mid-winter classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYAMqOCUEoU
I bet Soumillon has been replaying that ride in his head a few times.