PDA

View Full Version : Any llama folks out there?

Watermark Farm
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:07 AM
Our horse rescue was called by Animal Control last week --- for a llama running loose on a highway.

The llama was brought to a vet. She is very emaciated --- about 100 pounds underweight. The vet has prescribed a llama diet, etc and is in touch daily about the llama.

The problem is, we are horse people and know nothing about llamas.

Can anyone direct me to a llama rescue or llama people in Northern California?? Even if this llama is claimed within the 14 day hold period, she will not return to her owners (charges will be filed, that's how bad off she is). The llama is in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County), which is about 1.5 hours north of San Francisco.

Thanks!

JoZ
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:13 AM
Sorry, can't help you with llama contacts in California. But if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue -- is it that your rescue does not want to take in the llama, or that you worry that you don't know enough about llamas? Llamas co-exist very nicely with horses. And you have the added bonus of llama-proofing the horses in case they encounter llamas on a trail some day!

Our horses seem oblivious to the llamas and let them get away with things they'd never tolerate from another horse. Llamas do not need a lot of hay, a few pounds a day. (To starve a llama, the treatment must have been REALLY bad -- I shudder to think.) Clean fresh water, loose salt, a special mineral or pelleted llama food in small quantities. Worming and shots every six months or so. For now your rescue llama would do well with just the hay and water part of the list!

2foals
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe there is a llama rescue somewhere, but I've not heard of one. I'm not in your area, so I wouldn't know about that either.

BUT, llamas are very easy to keep. And they don't need to eat much at all. Perhaps there is a horseperson who would be willing to take it? In general they are quite compatible with horses and they need very minimal care. (I, too, am horrified to think how you could get one so thin.)

So, you might be able to find a private llama breeder who would take a rescue, but the llama might be really well off going to a horseperson who would add it to their herd.

mjrtango93
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
Sorry know nothing about Llama's and can't take one, but a few things came up on google. You might try contacting these people if you need advise or further help placing the llama:

http://www.solollamas.org/index.html

http://www.hiddenoaksllamaranch.com/links/ there is a llama rescue section on this one.

http://www.thellamaranch.com/ranches.html#ca then go down to CA and there are a bunch of e-mails to try. There is a listing for places in Petaluma and Bodega that would be close by you.

Watermark Farm
Nov. 26, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the links, and suggestions!

The llama is doing OK so far at her horsey foster home after a little liver failure scare. The local paper is running a story on her, and a reward fund has been established with the hope of catching the owner who starved her. Meantime, we have made a few local connections with llama owners and hope to find this gal a more llama-friendly situation soon.

Yes, it's pretty horrifying how thin this llama is; the vet had never even seen an emaciated llama. I don't know squat about llamas but even I can tell this gal is very scary looking. She had to get an IM injection, which was very painful for her as she has no fat or muscle. Vet estimates she's a good 100 pounds underweight. Thanks again.