PDA

View Full Version : pasture companion for single horse?

mary beth
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hello,

I would like to hear different experiences with pasture companions. One of my horses is being evaluated for Therapeutic riding, and so my guy is by himself. I have 3 horses on my fence line, but want him to be happy. I have a little over 3 acres that he is on, so I would like to stay away from a big grazer..like a donkey or llama, ect. I had 2 goats years ago, they were nice..but definitely went after the horse feed. what are sheep like? I would like toget away with one..but maybe 2.

Also..are there any hints on getting a horse to 'be more independent'? i actually found putting him in his stall or round pen to feed, has made him a little more secure..for some reason..?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

LauraKY
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
Also..are there any hints on getting a horse to 'be more independent'? i actually found putting him in his stall or round pen to feed, has made him a little more secure..for some reason..?

That would make sense. He knows the lions and tigers can't get him in his stall and probably feels relatively safe in the round pen. I don't believe sheep make very good companions for a horse. How about a mini or a mini donkey. They don't eat much (you may have to separate to feed grain and can always use a grazing muzzle on the mini or donkey.

How long has he been by himself? It may just take a little time to settle to get used to individual turnout or he may just be one of those guys that can't handle individual turnout. I would think with the other horses over the fence line it shouldn't be a huge problem. Is there a reason you can't turn him out with them?

mary beth
Nov. 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks, nice reply. the horse on the fence line are my neighbors..hence they do not share my pasture.

I am curious re: him feeling more secure in round pen and stall at times..Ive always been such a pasture person..just naturally think horses do not like being confined.

I have shied away from a donkey mainly b/c I have dogs that follow everywhere, and donkeys can be aggressive towards them..I thought?

A mini ..guess I think of them as adorable but ..high maint. ...in the sense of making 'sure' they don't over graze or get over weight. never had personal experience with them tho. Hoping to hear what people have to say....

Thanks.