PDA

View Full Version : Getting diesel fuel off of you and clothes?

mroades
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:57 PM
I was hauling an empty (thank goodness) trailer home tonight after dropping off a horse with an injured eye...when my fuel lines blew. I am covered in diesel, so is the trailer....any thoughts. I have showered in dishwashing liquid and still smell like diesel.

Guilherme
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:36 AM
I was hauling an empty (thank goodness) trailer home tonight after dropping off a horse with an injured eye...when my fuel lines blew. I am covered in diesel, so is the trailer....any thoughts. I have showered in dishwashing liquid and still smell like diesel.

Getting off you just takes soap, water, and some vigorous scrubbing. But the smell takes a bit more time to go away.

As for the clothes, I'd soak them in a tub with detergent for a while (maybe do it twice if they were heavily soaked) then wash using the heavy cycle, a few items, and lots of water and detergent.

Then line dry the items! If you don't get out the diesel it can vaporize in the dryer and ignite, blowing your dryer to Hell and Gone. When I was in the Navy a aircraft line worker got soaked in JP-5 (close to diesel in characteristics). He took his jacket home and his wife washed it, then put it in the dryer. She then blew the utility room off the back of her house.

It may take several wash/dry cycles or it might take just one. In this case maybe the Rule of "The Nose Knows" is the way to go.

Good luck in the cleanup.

G.

mroades
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
thanks....will simple green get it off of the trailer?

Frank B
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
This is definitely not a Martha Stewart question. Call your mechanic (or better, his wife or mother) and ask what she uses to get his clothes clean. New products are introduced frequently, so this should get you the latest and greatest detergent. Auto supply stores like NAPA or Auto Zone may also be helpful.

For the trailer, try a car wash. If that doesn't work, find a place that power-washes 18 wheelers.

bird4416
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
My husband is always getting diesel on himself. Not in big quantities, but he still gets smelly clothes. I usually wash the clothes and hang them outside to dry. I leave them outside for a long time (several days) until the smell goes away and then rewash and dry as usual.

Bank of Dad
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Wash with Lestoil, a great grease cutter product and dry outside or basement.

Benson
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:41 PM
I wash my husband's work clothes in ammonia when he gets diesel fuel on them. use 1 cup of ammonia and regular amount of detergent.

mroades
Nov. 23, 2009, 10:15 PM
Haha, I asked my mechanic...and he said he throws them away!!!

Of course it was my only down coat.

I got it off of the trailer with some stuff called purple power.

ReSomething
Nov. 24, 2009, 02:53 AM
Haha, I asked my mechanic...and he said he throws them away!!!

. . . . . .
I didn't want to tell you that, but "nice" clothes used to go into the "good for working on engines" pile once they got lots of diesel and engine grease on them. "really nice" got thrown out, after DH got a tongue-lashing.

DH used to be a grime magnet, just like the horses slobber on your nice clothes right away he'd have some mechanical issue and find the only blob of grease on the whole car/whatever it was, then have a big black spot right dead center of his kakhi pants.

He may still be a grime magnet but all his pants are black now. :lol:

springer
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:30 AM
My husband is in the fuel oil business so this thread is especially interesting! The only thing that really gets his clothes clean is lot's of spray & wash, and TIDE detergent. But I like some of these ideas too-will try!

Chief2
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:13 AM
I didn't want to tell you that, but "nice" clothes used to go into the "good for working on engines" pile once they got lots of diesel and engine grease on them. "really nice" got thrown out, after DH got a tongue-lashing.

DH used to be a grime magnet, just like the horses slobber on your nice clothes right away he'd have some mechanical issue and find the only blob of grease on the whole car/whatever it was, then have a big black spot right dead center of his kakhi pants.

He may still be a grime magnet but all his pants are black now. :lol:

Do you live in my house? Because this post could have been mine! :lol: Carry on!

Ltc4h
Nov. 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
Both I- The washer of clothes
and My Husband- the dirtier of them.
Would not still be married if he didn't buy cases of
Brake Clean
Spray it directly on clothes,trailer,tools,hands, etc...
Anything fabric can then go in the washer, anything metal wipe or hose off.
Perfect for spilled beverages in vehicles as well.
Best yet, great bee spray.