PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a dressage saddle..

TheBrightSide06
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hi everybody! I recently sold my Wintec 500 and have been looking for a dressage saddle. One that I am considering is a Crosby. One of my questions is which is better, larger thigh blocks or smaller thigh blocks?
Next, what kind of dressage saddles do you all like?
Finally, what does everybody think about the Crosby dressage saddles?

Thanks!!

PS.. I made a new video of Kobie for those of you who are keeping up with us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nswEAx4OAs

Beam Me Up
Nov. 22, 2009, 10:40 PM
Your horse is adorable!

Saddles are pretty individual in terms of fit/comfort. I did have a Crosby PSG (an older one, back when they were bi-colored). The quality was fairly good--mine had seat cracks but otherwise held up well. The design was ok, very much like an AP with straight flaps in that it didn't really force you anywhere.

My current dressage saddle which I love is a Niedersuss Symphonie. It's deeper, has bigger knee rolls, really encourages and helps me to sit up straight and keep my leg under me for a more effective position. It has helped my riding a lot.

More classical folks might say that it shouldn't be your saddle that determines your position, though, and that a good rider should easily hold their position in something more minimal, too. :-)

eventingismylife
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:09 PM
I love the Courbette Aristokrat Dressage Saddle, it has a very nice deep seat and very nice knee and thigh blocks. I also am a big fan of older Passiers (they are definitely worth their weight in gold, lol) as well, I like all of their dressage saddles. The Stubbens are nice also.
I love the video, of you guys!

Lone
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:27 AM
I went through a major saddle hunt this spring trying to find a dressage saddle that would fit both my mare and I. Seemed like everything I tried either fit her perfectly, or me perfectly but neither both of us!

I finally found a Stubben Maestoso used in a tack shop and I love it. Fits her like a glove and is super comfy for me too. Here's (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/saddlesore55/cid__downsized_0825091437.jpg) what mine looks like. I had to do some major searching to find one used- not sure if you were looking for new or used, but it was worth the hunt!

CatchMeIfUCan
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:08 AM
I second the Symphonie...I LOVE it! And they fit pretty much any horse.

Ltc4h
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:50 AM
I have Crosbys, but recently have bought other brands.
The older Crosbys are wonderful, the newer ones not so much.
I have 2 Freestyles and 2 Mark 6's-they fit the same horse completely different.
My original Mark 7, doesn't ride anything like the 6's, the 6 took the place of the 7. Of coarse I bought a second thinking it would ride better than the first, it doesn't.
I personally won't buy a new Crosby but really like the old ones better than anything else.
Kieffer Wein is about the closest to Crosby that I've found.

purplnurpl
Nov. 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hey girl!! long time no chat.

Very cute video. You guys look like you're having a great time.

I'm tall but not skinny. I find that the dressage saddles that have 1/2 blocks are good for the long leg.

I ride in a Vega. Double flap. The monoflap has the full block. The double flap has the 1/2 block. The Amerigo Deep (which is basically the same saddle) has a really fat full block. I did not like it at all.

Don't you ride in a Courbette Vision? Have you tried any Courbette dressage saddles?

RunForIt
Nov. 24, 2009, 10:28 AM
Anyone out there ride in the Amerigo Alto? Its built on the same tree as my Amerigo Vesuvius (CC), and so I expect it will work for Rasta - not so sure for me though I am coming to really love my jump saddle...I'm slow! :cool:

TheBrightSide06
Nov. 25, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hey girl!! long time no chat.

Very cute video. You guys look like you're having a great time.

I'm tall but not skinny. I find that the dressage saddles that have 1/2 blocks are good for the long leg.

I ride in a Vega. Double flap. The monoflap has the full block. The double flap has the 1/2 block. The Amerigo Deep (which is basically the same saddle) has a really fat full block. I did not like it at all.

Don't you ride in a Courbette Vision? Have you tried any Courbette dressage saddles?

Hey!! Thanks so much, we have been having fun!!

I did try a few Courbette dressage saddles but they didnt seem to fit my pony. They fit Kobie, but Bentley is a little trickier! The Crosby will hopefully fit both of them! Klimke saddles fit Kobie as well. The only thing I didnt like was the giant blocks. Kind of made me feel stuck.

purplnurpl
Nov. 25, 2009, 12:39 PM
just for trial purposes you might want to test drive in a Vega.

The twist is the most narrow that I could find...and I'm thinking you like narrow twists because you are quite thin.

Ann has them.
Eqestrianimports.com
http://equestrianimports.com/shop/index.php?_a=newSadd&PHPSESSID=f9a3ed3922d4989672d5c3af7c92558f

She also rents saddles. I rented mine for 4 months before buying it.
You can often find them used now.
Trumbull Mountain has one in your size right now actually! (unless you are a 17.5 due to your leg)
http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_Pics/useddressage_pics/732674.JPG
http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_%20pages/used_dressage/USED_dressage.htm

ooo, this one is interesting!
ARC DE TRIOMPHE DRESSAGE #10286

Shoot, just have Nancy at Trumbull Mountain send a box of like 5 saddles all at once. They have a good bunch of used DQ saddles right now!
try the Prestige Galileo as well!

Ann also has the Prestige 2000D. A lot of people are happy with it. I've never sat in it though. I *think* it has big blocks.

a_quick_one
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:25 PM
I love love love my older Prestige - especially the $500 I paid for it. I like the newer ones, too, and have found that Prestiges in general fit almost EVERYTHING (at least passably). Seconding Trumbull Mtn.

purplnurpl
Nov. 26, 2009, 05:44 PM
I love love love my older Prestige - especially the $500 I paid for it. I like the newer ones, too, and have found that Prestiges in general fit almost EVERYTHING (at least passably). Seconding Trumbull Mtn.

ditto.
My prestige eventer fits every horse I ride. And every horse I ride is built differently. I use a sheepskin on the guys who might be a little narrow for it.
No one complains. : )