PDA

View Full Version : Certified vests

SaluteAtX
Nov. 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
So sorry to bring this topic up yet again, but I haven't been able to find the answers I'm looking for...A little background, I'm beginning in eventing on my green horse. She's just learned to jump now so it will be at least spring before we are really doing anything as far as cross country. However, she is green and now that we are moving beyond poles on the ground I'd like some added protection for schooling as well. I want to invest in a good certified vest that will give me the protection I need and meet any rule changes that may occur in the future. I'd like to buy one vest and have it last a couple years.

What vests are certified and to what levels? I've been reading about the different vests on Dover's website. Some say they are certified but not to what level. Which are the most comfortable? The solid vest by Intec seems very bulky and stiff, do they "soften" up at all with wear? I'm looking to stay under $200 if possible...any suggestions would be great!

Again sorry for the topic repeat!

AKB
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:29 PM
I would go and try on various vests until you find one that is comfortable for you. The best vest is the one that you wear regularly on that green horse instead of leaving it in the closet except when you are absolutely required to use it for competitions.

I don't think that the rating system is very helpful at this point, although it should eventually be quite useful. We might all be using a combination of vests and inflatables in a few years, if the inflatables are as good as they claim to be. Any new vest that you buy now will probably be good for at least a short time. If it is a vest that you wear a lot, you will feel like you got your money's worth.

archieflies
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have the hard Intec one, and I honestly don't feel it anymore. It didn't necessarily soften, but does seem to have conformed to me a bit. I am pleased with it for the $50 I paid at State Line. :)