PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or leather?

ThoroughbredFancy
Nov. 22, 2009, 08:34 PM
I am in the market for a new girth to go with my jumping saddle. I've been squeezing my guy into a size 50 and he could use a 52 but I might just go up to a 54.

I need it to be black since my tack is black and it's certainly harder to find English girths in black that aren't meant for dressage.

I haven't been girth shopping in a while and I am wondering if I should go for leather (that's what I have always had) or synthetic?

What are the benefits of one over the other?

Thanks!

Scaramouch
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:10 PM
The main benefit of synthetic is price and ease in cleaning, as far as I can tell. Throw the thing in the wash and voila! I personally hate how they look, so don't show in it, but it's fine to school. I also don't love having elastic on both ends, and I can never find synthetic ones with only one elastic side. I actually bought a 50" for my horse who usually takes a 52" thinking that it would stretch more .... it fit fine for a while, then I don't know if it shrunk or my horse gained some imperceptible bit of weight, but it's now very difficult to get tight!

Zephyr
Nov. 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
Big fan of synthetic girths here... I don't switch out for showing, and I LOVE how you can just hose them down after a ride. When I had a leather girth, I just hosed it down anyway. But it eventually gave my horse a rub and I had to get a sheepskin tube for it, etc. etc.

Now I've got a brown Professional's Choice girth for jumping (double elastic is a pro to me, not a con) and a Roma Gel black girth for dressage. Can't really tell that one apart from leather from afar, IMO.

pippa553
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:01 AM
I use the Professional's Choice girth as well. I tried two brands of the fleece ones before and they both shrunk in a big way when I washed them. I like leather but my horse was getting girthy. So far no complaints with the ProC.

Lone
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:23 AM
I've always been a fan of leather. I had a synthetic girth for a while, but I always had trouble getting it clean- even after scrubbing it just looked dirty. May have just been the brand I had though!

jn4jenny
Nov. 23, 2009, 06:59 AM
I'm really pleased with my Thinline girth, which is Thinline on the inside and leather on the outside. You get all the benefits of a synthetic girth but you still get the leather look on the outside. It does come in black. It's held up very well to hosing/sponging/general abuse. And unlike with the neoprene on the Pro Choice girth, my horse didn't get THE CRUD under his belly line and wasn't sweating like a pig along his girth line. Thinline is supposedly going to send a 15% off + free shipping coupon to their mailing list soon, so hop on there. They measure this particular girth in centimeters, so make sure you read the description CAREFULLY regarding what size to order.
http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=49

My former trainer was nuts about the Wintec synthetic girths, and to be fair to the girth, it did stand up to tons of abuse (as many as 6 horses daily + hosing off). I didn't like the buckle system--the elastic part was so short that the girth tended to overlap with my saddle flap. It worked better with his Bates CC than it did with my Amerigo CC.
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=WCEG&Category_Code=G