PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hollendorfer & Russell the Muscle

DickHertz
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:39 PM
I know only a modest amount of things about Northern California racing, but didn't Russell Baze used to ride first call for Hollendorfer at one point in time? I saw a race today where Jerry had 2 in one race and Baze was not on either one. What's the deal with their relationship?

Pronzini
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
I know only a modest amount of things about Northern California racing, but didn't Russell Baze used to ride first call for Hollendorfer at one point in time? I saw a race today where Jerry had 2 in one race and Baze was not on either one. What's the deal with their relationship?

Baze essentially has first call with everyone and he rides the best horse in almost every race. Many times that horse is trained by Hollendorfer but not always.

Baze also never gets punished for spinning anyone because he's that good. He's ridden three times for me this year (2 wins and a second) and he's spun me in between and I'm just happy when my horse is good enough to get the call. It's like money in the bank.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:40 PM
Although today at Hollywood Park money in the bank was having the kid - Joe Talamo - in the irons ;) He won 5 races on the card Sunday!

The five wins equaled the career best for Talamo (http://www.drf.com/news/article/109092.html), who won five races once at Fair Grounds while an apprentice.

clint
Nov. 23, 2009, 07:42 PM
Pronzini, or anyone who might know, do you know why Russell Baze was unsuccessful in his attempt to move his tack to the So. CA tracks a few years ago? It is surprising to me that he is so successful here, but not elsewhere.

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Pronzini, or anyone who might know, do you know why Russell Baze was unsuccessful in his attempt to move his tack to the So. CA tracks a few years ago? It is surprising to me that he is so successful here, but not elsewhere.

He shouldn't be ashamed. There are many in the industry, including those who sit in a bike behind a horse, who are awesome being the big fish in the small pond instead of the opposite. He's riding against inferior riders (relatively speaking) in Northern Cali - in So Cal there are 9-10 riders who are flat out awesome...although I still think - despite his effort in the Classic - that Mike Smith is perhaps the most overrated jockey in the history of horse racing. I've never seen any rider lose races by going nine wide than Mike Smith.

Muleskick
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
Russell Baze was noted on TVG as taking some time off to heal from previous injuries.

Pronzini
Nov. 23, 2009, 09:44 PM

Wasn't he a 15% rider in So Cal? Not a failure but he was riding more like 5 or 10-1 shots instead of cherry picking the very best horses in every race. But its a chicken and egg thing. He gets to do that because he has a great work ethic--he never phones it in or takes off the last race--and he is the strongest finisher in the room.

This summer he rode a race for me --last race on the card and a ho hum non winners of two for a tag--and he bounced into the paddock full of enthusiasm telling me that "this is my last chance today to win a race". He already had won two or three. He goes out there and rides a superb race, getting up by a head in the last jump. He came back beaming like he had won the Derby and was very complimentary about the horse and her effort. I can't tell you how positive an experience that was for a small owner.

The next day I was sitting with trainer at the crack of dawn watching some works and he pointed out a rider. "That's your jock." Then with a smile he said "Good work ethic--he might make something of himself some day."