PDA

View Full Version : Best/Cheapest/Easiest Chicken Coops?

PhoenixFarm
Nov. 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hey all. I'm looking at acquiring a few hens for the farm (met a great local breeder) and I'm overwhelmed with the choices in terms of chicken housing.

I'm somewhat handy, though not enough to build one from scratch myself. Mr. PF, not so much. :lol: Our last project we did from scratch, the goat house, is still standing, but it ain't pretty, and I'd like to do better for the chickens.

Of the various pre-fabs, kits, or pre-assembled, anyone got one that they found economical, easy to assemble, and good for the birds?

If it makes a difference, my thought would be to eventually have them free range during the day, locked up safe at night. We have a fairly temperate climate--usually our winter lows are in the 40s (though we do occaisionally get down to freezing) and the summers average the low 90s, with occasionally higher peaks. Winters can be very rainy, but it's about 3 months out of the year, otherwise, bone dry.

suz
Nov. 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
well at our place the best/fastest/easiest coop was a stall. we took the biggest one and added a row of nesting boxes on one wall, then added hardware cloth to keep them safe and we were basically done. they ate horse poo all day long and were locked in the stall at night.
the horse really liked them, so it was a good temp solution.

Obi
Nov. 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
My dad just finished my chicken coop and I am so glad they are out of the barn. I had been using my extra stall, but those things poop on everything! And that stuff sticks to everything! I also did not like the dust. I ended up having my dad add onto my hayshed, and creating a chicken/goat house. It is separated because, of course, the goats will eat everything they are not supposed to.
Not sure about having the the chickens in the extra stall as they create a lot of dust and dirt, and they spill their food everywhere. And this summer, they decided that they would stop laying in the stall and are laying somewhere out in the woods.
I think the key for a chicken house is that it is safe from critters, has light and is not drafty.

Zwarte
Nov. 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
For a wellhouse, I just bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-19020-Shed-Peak-Style/dp/B000E3XNC0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258935447&sr=8-5

I'll bet it would also be very adaptable for a chicken coup.

JanWeber
Nov. 22, 2009, 09:37 PM
We have a Hen Spa and love it. Had it for five years - durable, protects the flock (but put a double-ended snap on the sliding door - raccoons can open it). Should be ableto find it online if you're interested.

pippa553
Nov. 23, 2009, 12:27 AM
Some friends of mine purchased a child's wooden play house off of craigslist and adapted it for their chickens with some nesting boxes and wire over the windows. They used to sell a kit at lowe's but it's been a few years.

ponygirl
Nov. 23, 2009, 08:11 AM
I purchased a framing kit here: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_572_572

I used Hardipanel for the walls as well as hardwire cloth. It was simple to build.