PDA

View Full Version : How to find a groom job

Arrows Endure
Nov. 22, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hi guys. I'm new in the Fair Hill, MD area, and I'd love to find a job as a groom for one of the racing barns around here. I have plenty of horse experience and have worked with many different types of horses. How do you go about finding a position like this?

I considered just going out to the track in the mornings, but then I figured the trainers were busy then and might not want to be bothered at that time. Is there a good way to see who needs help?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Polydor
Nov. 22, 2009, 03:04 PM
I personnaly haven't checked it recently but might try yardandgroom.com

Good luck.

P.

KentuckyTBs
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:14 AM
You would probably be better off trying to get a groom position on a breeding farm than one right on the track. Just an idea. I am a yearling groom at a TB farm and love it.

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 01:59 PM
Find someone you know who has access to the backside and go around starting at about 10:30 and ask people if they need help and / or ask them if they could shadow for a week (an extra hand). The only thing worse than a lazy groom is a groom who doesn't know anything about taking care of the horse.

tbracer65
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:03 PM
Find someone you know who has access to the backside and go around starting at about 10:30 and ask people if they need help and / or ask them if they could shadow for a week (an extra hand). The only thing worse than a lazy groom is a groom who doesn't know anything about taking care of the horse.

I agree with Dick...definitely shadow somebody. You can have all the horse experience in the world, but if you have no tb experience (track) it's like starting from ground zero & while most things, in general, are the same...every trainer has their own 'way' they want things done. (one example being sweat wraps...some want the plastic overtop cotton & then bandage whereas others want it overtop the "outside" bandage).

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:12 PM
I know someone who hired a groom with an equine degree and they were abysmal as a groom. Greener than the lush grass the horses munch on each day.

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
(one example being sweat wraps...some want the plastic overtop cotton & then bandage whereas others want it overtop the "outside" bandage).

Plastic over the cotton but under the no bow bandage - prevents skin problems if bandages get shared without proper cleaning...:D

DickHertz
Nov. 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
Also, if you do get a job please make sure you don't let the horse's chew on the saddle pad or bridle when getting the horse ready. Drives me absolutely INSANE !!

SleepyFox
Nov. 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
Plastic over the cotton but under the no bow bandage - prevents skin problems if bandages get shared without proper cleaning...:D

Plastic over the no-bows. :D Tbracer is right that no one is the same. But, those are adjustments every groom has to make (well, some of them refuse to adjust...) so it's all good.

Do what Dick says. If you seem sober, reliable, have a place to stay and they can understand what you are saying, people will be glad to meet you. One tip: write your name and number down on some index cards or something and have them ready to hand out. I get approached by job seekers all the time and I'm very happy to take a number but I hate having to screw around trying to find them a pen and some paper, etc.

Also, if you do get a job please make sure you don't let the horse's chew on the saddle pad or bridle when getting the horse ready. Drives me absolutely INSANE !!

Or leave leather halters where they can reach them and chew on them. Annoys me every time I use the halter after that. :)